GLANCE Screen always on....While charging.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
All was fine untill the anniversary update, when i put my lumia 950xl on charge the glance screen is always on...no settings to turn it off too...any idea guys how to shut it down, pls help

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
During charging glance screen= ON usually means a message to user, like bad USB cable, bad connection/connectors, no power coming in, intermittent power disruptions, ...etc. Of course if no software/hardware defects exist.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
No, there's nothing wrong, just when Glance went from being under "Extras" to being under "Personalization" (or in other news, physically part of the OS), that was one of the features that went "missing." Sadly, right now, there's no way to get it back, but hey, give Microsoft some time (I bet they had to rewrite it, like they did Double Tap to Wake) and it'll be back. Until then, put it in the Feedback app, and up vote any other mention of it.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
wp_ss_20160821_0002.png

This is a screenshot of the advanced glance settings from under the extras menu.
These settings were accessible in the previous builds.
It crashes on the current build.

Do try to access and turn that off, if its on.

What Microsoft have done is, they have transferred glance on/off toggle, glance screen timing, and night mode settings to Settings>Personalisation>Glance Screen
I believe, this Glance entry under personalisation is relatively new and before that, glance settings were available only under the extras menu.

I think the OP had turned on the option top show glance screen while charging, in the previous build and after updating, (if hard reset was not done) the settings got carried over.

And of course there is a possibility of bad charging cable, connection as @Mesbah mentions in the second post.

Last edited:

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Two things are lacking:
- One is the option to turn off Glance while charging...or at least during night mode.
- Another thing is that the clock should move around the screen from time to time... to avoid burning in the amoled screens... Some persons said it moves... but it doesn't move (950XL with several builds/restores)

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Just noticed my glance screen stayed on last night,it's on a wireless charger so no option to turn it over ,guess it's updated the anniversary os ,little bit annoying but I guess when's it fully charged the glance screen will turn off ,just that question of screen burn,least it gives the option of dimming the screen at night and it turns off the background picture

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed my glance screen stayed on last night,it's on a wireless charger so no option to turn it over ,guess it's updated the anniversary os ,little bit annoying but I guess when's it fully charged the glance screen will turn off ,just that question of screen burn,least it gives the option of dimming the screen at night and it turns off the background picture

Na, sadly. It'll always stay on until Microsoft adds the option back to the new Glance app.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Noticed the same thing. Absolutely stupid that they would leave out the option to disable glance while charging. At least if you force us to have it on, let the damn time move around the screen so as to decrease the chance of screen burn. IDIOTS!

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Is burn in a concern on these displays? Just curious because I'm a new 950XL owner and have noticed Glance is always on during charging.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Is burn in a concern on these displays? Just curious because I'm a new 950XL owner and have noticed Glance is always on during charging.

I don't know for sure, but I have seen pictures (on here) that was supposedly "burned in". I'm not sure that that was actually it, but it had me worry. And since the feature used to be there, I figure it will at least stop the potential.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
AMOLED screens apparently can suffer from burn in, but I see no evidence that Glance will do that. I use an old Nokia N8 as a bedside clock, and Glance is on all of the time and is much brighter than Glance is on Lumias. There is absolutely no evidence of burn in on this phone, and it's been in use for many years now.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
AMOLED screens apparently can suffer from burn in, but I see no evidence that Glance will do that. I use an old Nokia N8 as a bedside clock, and Glance is on all of the time and is much brighter than Glance is on Lumias. There is absolutely no evidence of burn in on this phone, and it's been in use for many years now.

On the contrary, I've heard of Glance not moving has caused ghosting on an LCD-equipped 640.

Did it move around the screen of your N8 over time?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros