Good idea to get the Focus?

Tornado54

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Focus will be my first WP phone I currently own an E71! so I have no idea what to expect. I dislike Android and iphone is not an option. I need an unlocked phone as i live in India.

The Focus runs Mango and is available for $250, rather than spending more for the Nokia or Focus S, i figured I will get the Focus and when the next gen of devices come with Apollo I can think of an upgrade?

What do you guys think? Is there a strong reason to get the Focus S/ Lumia 710?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The focus is a great device. Yes the hardware is old, but people wouldn't know that if you didn't tell them. It performs without hitch, and is extremely fast thanks to Windows Phone being so optimized and well coded. All of the windows phones have a fluid, stable experience.

I have a focus and if I don't get a phone for another year it wont bother me one bit. It never fails, is always stable, is very fast and has a great screen.

If you don't need more storage than 8GB on-board (although you can experiment with SD card for internal storage expansion, just be warned they may not work correctly), and don't need a front facing camera there really isn't much you will miss out on with new devices. You can get the focus for around $200 now, and probably even a bit lower once the new ones come out in a couple weeks.

Tornado54

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your reply dtboos. How is the build quality of the Focus is it likely to fall apart soon? any major concerns?

Also where are you seeing it for $200? The lowest I see is at $250.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Build quality is fine. You'll notice like many Samsung devices its made of some seemingly cheaper plastic material compared to metal/aluminum phones or the iPhone. But don't let that deter you.

The plastic is actually good in the fact that if you drop it, it absorbs the impact very well. And also makes the phone very light. I wish it was a bit more solid, but it hasn't been an issue especially once I got the following:

I bought a very thin case which made this plastic phone feel like a solid block without adding hardly any size to the phone. Feels great now, and it also keeps the phone from sliding around on surfaces ect.

Here's a link (cant go wrong for $4):
http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Argyle-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU1582426

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
It looks very very plastic but hey if you are a heavy user that might be a good thing. I suggest you to get one after Focus S has been pushed out. That might give a further discount toward Focus.

Tornado54

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
One quick question guys.. I keep reading about problems with updating to Mango with Rev 1.3 or 1.4? What do i need to look out for when I get the Focus?

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
1.4 is the version that has the Mango upgrade problems. You'll need to open it to find out. Under the battery, it should say either version 1.3 or 1.4 between the sku and serial number to the right side of the sticker.

I've had my Focus for a year now. Highly recommended.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The 1.4 should be getting the update soon. It was a different batch of memory chips Samsung used, and has caused issues as it needs different firmware drivers than the other batches made.

I wouldn't say you're screwed, but you definitely would rather not get one. I'll tell you this: I've bought 4 Focus's off ebay, and none of them were 1.4. You can always ask the seller to verify it (its under the battery).

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Get the focus, love mine. Dtboos is right, case makes all the difference. I've got the case mate po case on right now, and have the tpu gel case mentioned. Both solid choices

He once made a blackberry pie out Mangos. Chickens say "tastes like Mango" when they bite into apples, out of respect. He conquered an entire army of androids with a single Mango. He's the most interesting cell phone user alive. "I dont always use smartphones, but when I do, I use WP. Stay Metro my friends."

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Dude, change your double signature. :)

I would not spend $200 on a used phone. I would get a 2nd gen on contract. That is what I am doing actually. I mean if a used 1st gen is going for $200-$250 then getting a brand new one should be $0 cost next year if you want to change phones again.

Tornado54

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Ah but on contract is not an option for me :) i live in India. I am actually seeing a couple of brand new phones for $200 on ebay although they are few and far between.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Didn't know where you lived since you did not fill out your profile completely and did not mention it in your first post.

Are you just looking on ebay for your phone or at local stores if there are any?

Tornado54

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
My mistake power5. Ebay and Amazon. The focus is not available locally and the Omnia is a lot more expensive. The focus 3g is at 2100 which is the same band in India as well so I am guessing it should work fine.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Didn't know where you lived since you did not fill out your profile completely and did not mention it in your first post.

Are you just looking on ebay for your phone or at local stores if there are any?

He did indeed say that he needed an unlocked phone and that he lived in India.

The Focus is a very nice phone! I have an HD7 and a Dell Venue Pro also, but my favorite is still the Focus: fantastic screen, good responsiveness, lightweight. I am very, very tempted by the better camera on the soon-to-be-released Titan, but it's going to be a tough decision!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12