Google is really pushing me towards Outlook permanently

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the mini-rant but Google is frustrating me :p

I do mainly use outlook for most of my email addresses...I have about 8 accounts for various things(I like to keep everything separate vs having one or two emails with mail coming from 100 different places).

Unfortunately, I still use gmail for 2 of my address for craigslist sale of various things. For whatever reason, I never actually get my craigslist verification email send to outlook so I just use them for gmail.

Well today I needed to post an ad for a friend to try and sell his old Iphone(He got a Lumia 1020). So I go into my gmail.com and I am already logged in. I post the ad and blah blah Blah.
So my friend wanted to check HIS GMAIL account so I was like sure...go ahead and do what you need to do.

I walk off only to get called back like 20 seconds later and he's like what's up with Gmail...so I look at the screen and I am a bit confused to see it has this new login screen with "One Account. All of Google"

It took me about 10 minutes to figure everything out but I found this annoying.

Normally I go to gmail.com and if I need to switch emails I log out and then type that email in.
Now with this new log-in I have to add multiple email accounts to the single sign-in page and already three times I've been asked about people being worried about their emails being opened on my PC when they use it so I have to make sure to remind them to remove said account when they are done.

Plus when my mom or someone else wants to use my laptop, I have to then explain that our accounts are not connected and go through the trouble of explaining the new google way of doing things.

Google is a company that has great products but for whatever reason they slowly begin to annoy me with their products...those new labels thing in gmail annoy me because half the time emails go to the wrong labels and I miss them(though I figured out how to turn that off).

It's annoying so I guess I am going to try and just migrate the other 2 gmail to outlook altogether if I can figure it out.

Again, Sorry for the mini-rant :D
Here's a Screen Shot!
Gmail+New+Login+page.png

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I've seen that new login page as well. I moved from Gmail to Outlook around March time and I've honestly found it so much easier and better to use than Gmail. I'm the same and finding every "improvement" or "upgrade" Google do with their products, seems to either make them more frustrating and difficult to use or they seem to want to plaster my Full Name on all their services like YouTube etc and don't stop until you accept this.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I saw that new login screen today for youtube. Really wish they didn't get absorbed by google. Youtube and my university email are the only things I have tied to google.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I saw that new login screen today for youtube. Really wish they didn't get absorbed by google. Youtube and my university email are the only things I have tied to google.

if only YouTube wasn't owned by Google but luckly my university uses outlook !

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the mini-rant but Google is frustrating me :p

I do mainly use outlook for most of my email addresses...I have about 8 accounts for various things(I like to keep everything separate vs having one or two emails with mail coming from 100 different places).

Unfortunately, I still use gmail for 2 of my address for craigslist sale of various things. For whatever reason, I never actually get my craigslist verification email send to outlook so I just use them for gmail.

Well today I needed to post an ad for a friend to try and sell his old Iphone(He got a Lumia 1020). So I go into my gmail.com and I am already logged in. I post the ad and blah blah Blah.
So my friend wanted to check HIS GMAIL account so I was like sure...go ahead and do what you need to do.

I walk off only to get called back like 20 seconds later and he's like what's up with Gmail...so I look at the screen and I am a bit confused to see it has this new login screen with "One Account. All of Google"

It took me about 10 minutes to figure everything out but I found this annoying.

Normally I go to gmail.com and if I need to switch emails I log out and then type that email in.
Now with this new log-in I have to add multiple email accounts to the single sign-in page and already three times I've been asked about people being worried about their emails being opened on my PC when they use it so I have to make sure to remind them to remove said account when they are done.

Plus when my mom or someone else wants to use my laptop, I have to then explain that our accounts are not connected and go through the trouble of explaining the new google way of doing things.

Google is a company that has great products but for whatever reason they slowly begin to annoy me with their products...those new labels thing in gmail annoy me because half the time emails go to the wrong labels and I miss them(though I figured out how to turn that off).

It's annoying so I guess I am going to try and just migrate the other 2 gmail to outlook altogether if I can figure it out.

Again, Sorry for the mini-rant :D
Here's a Screen Shot!
View attachment 47916

i tried to figure out what the problem was, then i realized:

"he's letting people use his browser, that he's logged into a service (google) with, instead of logging out, or switching to his computer's GUEST ACCOUNT."

that's what we use our computer's GUEST ACCOUNT for. the moment you logout, all the files, settings, browser history, everything, is wiped away. pretty cool, that GUEST ACCOUNT.

am i wrong ?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This must be Google's idea of linked accounts, except for some reason they decided not to make it optional. Anyway, Google must be using cookies to keep track of accounts like this, so next time you can just open an InPrivate / Incognito / Private window for your guest. That should give you a plain old login screen that they can use, then when they close the window their account will go away.

I do wish MS would bring back linked accounts, but not like this.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
i tried to figure out what the problem was, then i realized:

"he's letting people use his browser, that he's logged into a service (google) with, instead of logging out, or switching to his computer's GUEST ACCOUNT."

that's what we use our computer's GUEST ACCOUNT for. the moment you logout, all the files, settings, browser history, everything, is wiped away. pretty cool, that GUEST ACCOUNT.

am i wrong ?

The problem is that it does this even when you're logged out of your Google account. I'm guessing that it's using a cookie to keep track of the different accounts that you're using to log in to Google, whether you want it to keep track or not. Using a guest account just means that everyone who uses the guest account will have their Google account added to that list, unless you clear the profile every time somebody uses the guest account.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that it does this even when you're logged out of your Google account. I'm guessing that it's using a cookie to keep track of the different accounts that you're using to log in to Google, whether you want it to keep track or not. Using a guest account just means that everyone who uses the guest account will have their Google account added to that list, unless you clear the profile every time somebody uses the guest account.

GUEST ACCOUNT - on a computer (nothing to do with gmail, or any online services) gets deleted each time a person logs off, and re-created fresh and new, when a person chooses "GUEST ACCOUNT" from the login screen.

I've used this on both SuSE and osX, and it works fantastically for when family/friends are in town visiting.

I don't understand why anyone would allow a user into their regualr, daily use account on a computer. Things like browsing history, logins, etc get oopsied fairly quickly, as the OP is pointing out.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
GUEST ACCOUNT - on a computer (nothing to do with gmail, or any online services) gets deleted each time a person logs off, and re-created fresh and new, when a person chooses "GUEST ACCOUNT" from the login screen.

I've used this on both SuSE and osX, and it works fantastically for when family/friends are in town visiting.

I don't understand why anyone would allow a user into their regualr, daily use account on a computer. Things like browsing history, logins, etc get oopsied fairly quickly, as the OP is pointing out.

Ah, I thought you meant just creating another account for guests to use. I looked into it and you're right, it looks like the official guest account wipes everything when you log off. I guess I never bothered to look into this because I have nothing to hide from guests on my laptop. It's easier for me to just open a private window in the browser for guests to use.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I thought you meant just creating another account for guests to use. I looked into it and you're right, it looks like the official guest account wipes everything when you log off. I guess I never bothered to look into this because I have nothing to hide from guests on my laptop. It's easier for me to just open a private window in the browser for guests to use.

Yeppers you got it now. The private window things bite people though if they open multiple tabs and forget to close one, or accidentally click a link with "email to:" or similar.

I started using disk encryption and guest account after an incident around Christmas one year when all the adults were boozed and watching YouTube. The next morning one of the kids clicked the wrong link and got an eye full... So first account for company, from now on. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb