[GUIDE] Cricket Lumia 650: Debrand / Microsoft Pay / Double Tap to Wake / Seamless Updates

mikdav

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
For anyone else stuck at the point where you're supposed to get the MicrosoftMDG firmware, note that the registry keys you need to set are actually:

HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetingInfo >> PhoneMobileOperatorName
HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetingInfo >> PhoneManufacturerModelName >> "RM-1150_15887"

I did not install InteropTools and was just using vcREG to write the keys. The missing ing was really tripping me up until I installed InteropTools and saw what the key was supposed to be.

Thank you, pankaj981, for the instructions!

Last edited:

starmizzle

May 23, 2017
Visit site
I fully updated my phone the day I got it and I did this to get the updated firmware:
Use WDRT to put the phone back to 10.0.10586.63
Removed the SIM card and did a factory reset (again, this is what I did...may not have affected it)
Connected to wifi and updated to 10.0.14393.1066
Disabled wifi
Copied the EXCELLENT Interop Tools .apx to my phone
Enabled developer mode and installed the Interop Tools
Changed the registry settings (note that it's DeviceTargetingInfo not DeviceTargetInfo)
Enabled wifi and updated
Update failed, clicked RETRY and then it got the 10.0.15063.297 update and MicrosoftMDG update
Verified phone now had DTTW and then reset it (for good measure)

Many thanks to everyone on here for helping in one way or another

xx7774

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I am struggling to get this to work.

- I have installed Interop Tools & Dependencies as per the original instructions (using the links provided).
- Edited the registry per instructions (note typing 000-US and RM-1150_15887 into the Registry Value Data.

It seems to accept the registry edits, but no luck in getting the update MicrosoftMDG.

I have also tried using Interop Tools from the Store as starmizzle suggests, but can't get this to work either.

I have a Cricket branded Lumia 650.

I note that Interop Tools suggests (under This Device) it won't work for x50s?

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thx

NEURO2016

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm new to using phones, having bought my Lumia 650 a few months ago. So I have a few questions and appreciate any answers to help me understand better. Just last week, my phone received the Creators Update.

I've been following the directions here and on the XDA site, but...

1) I installed Interop Tools from the Windows Store on to my Win10 PC, and will connect to my phone via USB, but I'm having no luck understanding or installing the dependencies according to the instructions on the XDA site. I got the certificates installed, but that's as far as I can get and don't know what I'm doing wrong. All I get are errors when trying to install what I think are the right dependencies on my PC...but I'm really lost because I've never done this before. :angry:

2) Do I also install Interop Tools on my phone?

3) If I ever wanted to revert back to the Cricket firmware, how is that done? Where do we get it from?

4) Where or how do we backup our device in case things go bad, so we can restore everything? The OneDrive backup the phone makes is all I've got but don't know if that's sufficient, especially if this firmware change gets borked.

5) I'm especially worried about bricking my phone because Cricket stopped carrying them, so I can't buy another one from them in a worst case scenario. How does one unbrick their phone if the firmware install goes bad? :unhappysweat:

6) Does eliminating the Cricket firmware break anything Cricket related that's needed for the phone? Like I said, I'm new to mobile phones and still learning how all this works.

7) Does changing this firmware require a hard reset or will my phone's settings, apps, etc., still remain.

I'm not a complete newb...been working on Win PCs for a couple decades and frequently build or tinker with them quite a bit. But I am new to mobile phones and don't yet understand how to do a lot of things or unscrew myself if I break something.

Thanks.

Lightning_Racer

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible to still do this?

I'm a total beginner, more so than the person with post #25 .

On the LumiaFirmware link, There wasn't an obvious place to download the firmware that looks like a link. I clicked on "01078.00042.16352.50003 - OS 10.0.10586.494" and it just says "Retrieve the links please wait..." without any download happening that I can tell.

On that Interops link, the OP has an important notice from 11/25/2017 saying something about the app being banned from the Store. I looked at Microsoft Store, and it looks like the app is there, so presumably that issue was fixed?

If I can get the firmware downloaded onto my computer, I'll try getting a bit further with the registry edit. But, are the quotes in that are supposed to be typed in, or are they just indicating the part to change?

Edit following registry entries:HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetInfo >> PhoneMobileOperatorName >> "000-US"HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetInfo >> PhoneManufacturerModelName >> "RM-1150_15887" (FYI - this is US unlocked single-SIM variant)

Lightning_Racer

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible to still do this?

On the LumiaFirmware link, There wasn't an obvious place to download the firmware that looks like a link. I clicked on "01078.00042.16352.50003 - OS 10.0.10586.494" and it just says "Retrieve the links please wait..." without any download happening that I can tell.

OK, I got past that eventually. Tried several browsers, downloaded Chrome, etc. Finally it worked on my main/original browser Edge for some reason or no reason other than retrying a bunch of times, so I finally got that .ffu file downloaded.

I spent the last two or three nights trying to get Interop Tools to work. Went to xda developers forum and tried to follow instructions in several different threads (trying to figure out what is current, what has been superceded), but keep getting hung up. When I try to install the dependencies on my Surface Pro, some of them don't install. Or maybe they are already installed? When I open Interop Tools (Preview), it asks me for the provider (of what?) through provider extensions. Are those the dependencies that I couldn't install or something else?

I also tried installing Interops on my older Windows 7 computer, to see if that would work. On that computer, it didn't respond when double clicking on the .appx files. I looked that up, and they are Visual Studio files or something (I'm not a developer so I have no idea what these programs are). So I installed Visual Studio, but not the whole thing, because the files are huge and would use up a large part of my internet cap for the month, and still might not work. Is that something I need to install? Anyway, after installing bare bones Visual Studio, the .appx files still didn't do anything, so I uninstalled Visual Studio.

Am I way out of my depth here? I'm not a computer professional. I did figure out how to root and flash back to stock a Galaxy S7, so I can follow instructions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb