Guide: How to install W10M Insider Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBG1952

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello ajayden. Perhaps you can help me. I have a Lumia Icon (No update 2 available) which I was able to load Windows Phone 10 build 10080. I then tried to load Build 10136 following your instructions paying particular attention to reset the phone before each attempt. All attempts have failed. The sticking point seems to occur 10 minutes into the installation during the two grinding gears image on the screen. The status bar never seems to completely fill and then I believe the phone restarts the process. I have left the phone in this condition from anywhere between 3 and 8 hours. I am able to revert back to Windows 8.1, Update 1 with no trouble. As an experiment, I tried to get back to Windows Phone 10, Build 10080 by using the Slow Ring option. No such luck this way either. During the attempts, I get a notice of an update which I promptly install. the only problem is that it still leaves me in Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1. I am not sure what is going on, but any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
No a hard reset is always effecting your current installed OS, where should the hard reset get all the files for another OS version from? You need recovery tools on the desktop to revert to another OS version.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I tried WP10 on Lumia 535 two days back but due to data issue downgraded to WP8.1, after reading your post I'm going to try once more, I have no other issue except data.
were you able to install? I'm getting the error that there's not enough space available on my device... I removed every piece of software I could remove but still need 300-400meg extra to install... Everything I could move to microSD has been moved but still no joy...

Don't want to install it on my 930 as that's my main mobile and need that just working for my job...

pukem0n

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
ok, here is my experience with installing the 10149 build on my Lumia 1320.

1. hard reset
2. setup as a new phone
3. update to GDR2, downloading insider app, etc.
4. updating to win 10.
5. getting a boot loop with the spinning wheels after it already took 4 hours to go through the first time with an endless boot loop in the end.
6. using the recovery tool to go back to 8.1.
7. doing everything the same way again and installing win 10.
8. nothing on Win 10 works. cant download anything from the store, weird 0x8 errors or something. not able to receive messages or call somebody. all in all, nothing works, really.
9. going back to 8.1.

so, its just not working for me, sadly. i think, i'll just wait for the finished version :(

Captains

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
ok, here is my experience with installing the 10149 build on my Lumia 1320.

1. hard reset
2. setup as a new phone
3. update to GDR2, downloading insider app, etc.
4. updating to win 10.
5. getting a boot loop with the spinning wheels after it already took 4 hours to go through the first time with an endless boot loop in the end.
6. using the recovery tool to go back to 8.1.
7. doing everything the same way again and installing win 10.
8. nothing on Win 10 works. cant download anything from the store, weird 0x8 errors or something. not able to receive messages or call somebody. all in all, nothing works, really.
9. going back to 8.1.

so, its just not working for me, sadly. i think, I'll just wait for the finished version :(

I tried to install on my 1320 yesterday. It took ALL day & into the night. In the end I had a blank page that just kept ....loading....
I could swipe down the action centre & access settings etc. but not home screen. It made the phone useless. So I reverted back to Denim. I'll wait a while longer to try again.

bmzye

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
No clue how you people have problems installing WP10. I've followed all of the instructions, installed it for like 2 hours or something, without any problems. The only thing that's missing is that i haven't downloaded WP8 build 2, but WP10 only after I checked for the update. Still works fine as ****, except the store and the camera ofc. Store keeps popping some error. Doing the final restore after the instalation, hope it's gonna work perfect (ik the camera won't, but I'm talking about the store lol)

EDIT: Wi-Fi works fine as well
Everything works good. New store is amazing, can watch youtube videos via ie as well, even Cortana is working. I am more than satisfied.

Lumia 520 btw.

Last edited:

juliankueh

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just installed 10149 on my 640 tonight. Took almost 2 hours. Sd card not detected after a random robot while setting alarm tones but a battery pull fixed that. Running very smoothly infact, much to my surprise. One thing though, can't seem to swipe touch buttons off the screen. Am I missing something?

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Apps I purchased back in 8.1 OS carried over to mobile 10 10149 ok and worked fine until I did the updates from the (beta store) now when I open them up they are in trial version so I tried to do purchase again it says loading, then complete. I go back to the app open it and it's the same. I deleted the app an buy, install then compete but it's still in trial. How do I get my purchased (full version) back in windows 10 mobile again? I did try both stores with no luck I'm at a loss...

aussieboykie

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Apps I purchased back in 8.1 OS carried over to mobile 10 10149 ok and worked fine until I did the updates from the (beta store) now when I open them up they are in trial version so I tried to do purchase again it says loading, then complete. I go back to the app open it and it's the same. I deleted the app an buy, install then compete but it's still in trial. How do I get my purchased (full version) back in windows 10 mobile again? I did try both stores with no luck I'm at a loss...
I had this problem with a purchased app. I contacted the developer and he advised deleting and reinstalling from the regular store. In my case this immediately fixed the problem. I don't recall rebooting the phone at any point but it wouldn't do any harm to reboot after the uninstall.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

In order to reinstall all the purchased apps, try the following :

1) Soft reset the phone (Press the power and vol down button button until the phone vibrates) and then try reinstalling

2) if step 1 does not work, try this. Hard reset the phone (Goto settings>About>Hard Reset) and then resonate the apps.

For me, step 2 worked perfectly.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Lumia Apps?

This is probably a daft question, but I want to try the latest W10 Mobile on my Lumia 1520. But what about the Lumia-specific apps, such as HERE Drive+ and HERE Maps. Will they be lost? If so, can I download and reinstall them?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Sure, you can still have them. If you let the install restore your apps they will be downloaded or you can install them yourself. However, take a look at the new Microsoft Maps, it can replace Here Maps, Here Drive and Here Transit. So far I'm keeping those on too just in case, but I do like Maps quite a lot.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
In the last two builds, I did not hard reset. Everything working fine including glance backgrounds and extras n info.

Maybe this method worked for prior builds, but 10149 & 10166 seems to have fixed the upgrade process. This was on an 830.

archiwhm

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
If i'm in the windows insider program do i have to rollback to windows phone 8.1 to be able to install windows 10 final release ?

metsfan421

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have build 10149 on my Lumia 1020. Any reason that I cannot see the upgrade even though I am on fast builds? The release has been out for days. What is stopping it from seeing the update?​

yusuf peciko

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
WP 10 mobile TP10166 installed on my Lumia 640XL and so far only have 3 big bugs:
1. Landscape keyboard is not shown
2. Cannot add new keyboard language(for suggested text)
3. Some games are crashed like CSR racing and siege fall

The rest work flawlessly,
What I was did on my Lumia are,
- I run on WP10 TP10080 and I back up All contact, message, and Apps setting, then disable the PIN on lock screen
- I downgrade to 8.1 and do not restore My backup, so it's a clean install
- then I install Windows insider and update using slow ring to get WP 10 TP10149 (because some of bugs in TP 10149 in fast ring already solved in the slow ring build), don't forget to restore the backup 😊
- then the last thing update using fast ring to WP10 TP10166
- just be patient during update, do not wait, just let your phone alone for about 40-50 minutes during and after update, (I even can t take a bath and go outside to buy some goods in mart hahaha)
- after TP10166 installed do factory reset, go to setting, about, then reset the phone
- after that enjoy the new TP, I am now using it for daily driver, really awesome 🙆

prabu d

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I am getting 0x80070003 error message while updating it. "Cant update phone". What could be the reason? i tries three times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss