Guide to getting Cortana outside US.

Scorgie95

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I tried a hard reset on my 8X, doesn't have the "US" option for English but has every other English (Can,Ind and UK). Still no cortana :/

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I tried it, I feel ridiculous talking to a phone when there is no person on the other side. I asked cortana about 7 questions, she got 1 right. I know it's still beta, but I'm not impressed.

ePaleta

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920, I'm from Argentina and I only see the Phone Lanague for English UK but not for English (USA), I'm clueless how to solve this. :(

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Let us know after hard reset. My phone HTC 8x is the same problem. I try more and more way. But it is nothing.

It obviously was the accessibility problem to the Store from Microsoft's side. After hard resetting it seems to work again, but I haven't tried 'installing' Cortana.

tee74

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Please note the Move Up option after long pressing the English(United States), only with English(United States) being on top, only will your phone's language setting be the real-deal English(United States).

Also, make sure speech is English(United States), please spread this around to all fellow WP8.1 users.

I did everything you said, but still not getting cortana.

Even if i choose region "match my phone langauge" it will show singapore even tho my English (united states) language is on top, and if i pick UK or any other it will say that country. i have tried every way possible and still no dice. i even tried a hard reset. theres no way for me to get english (united states) by itself. oh wells

im using unbranded htc 8x 8.1, from thailand

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140418_0004.png
    wp_ss_20140418_0004.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 4
  • wp_ss_20140418_0003.png
    wp_ss_20140418_0003.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 4
  • wp_ss_20140418_0005.png
    wp_ss_20140418_0005.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

eisanchez

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
My unit is an HTC 8x and I have Cortana. Changed all language to US English. Got a bumped after the update language settings includes English UK and it's the first in the list. To get over this, long press US English and tap move up. It was mentioned in this thread a while back. Wait a while and Cortana will be available, unless location is off.

Location services should be on. No need to do a soft or hard reset. If you turn location off again, Cortana will disappear. Turn it on again and she comes back.

Happy with Cortana :)

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My unit is an HTC 8x and I have Cortana. Changed all language to US English. Got a bumped after the update language settings includes English UK and it's the first in the list. To get over this, long press US English and tap move up. It was mentioned in this thread a while back. Wait a while and Cortana will be available, unless location is off.

Location services should be on. No need to do a soft or hard reset. If you turn location off again, Cortana will disappear. Turn it on again and she comes back.

Happy with Cortana :)
What does it say below the EN-US and EN-UK language in terms of phone language: available or activated?

wpcancuck

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem with Cortana in Canada - HTC8X and Phone Language is pinned to English (Canada) despite English (United States) being first. Booooo... I promise to spell American!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FegleyArnold