Has anyone switched carriers just for a phone?

dagrepont

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone switched carriers just for a phone or know anyone that has? And I mean just for the phone. For example, someone who is on AT&T and perfectly happy with the service but leaves for Verizon just for the Icon. I don't know anyone who has done this.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Sure. Many years ago (2006?) I was on Sprint and I had the HTC Mogul. I switched to AT&T because I wanted the same phone form factor with this revolutionary 3G they had just started rolling out. Who knew?

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I have done that a few times, jump from one carrier to another. Sometimes for the phones, but for other times it is just for the services. I remembered I really wanted a Nokia N-Gage QD on prepaid, so I had to switch to cingular wireless way back then.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone switched carriers just for a phone or know anyone that has? And I mean just for the phone. For example, someone who is on AT&T and perfectly happy with the service but leaves for Verizon just for the Icon. I don't know anyone who has done this.
I did this. I even pay more on Verizon.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Me too. I never leave my carrier. I just buy unlocked phones. With all those one sided phone contracts, it's a lot cheaper to buy unlocked phones and stay with the same plan.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I was with Sprint for over 15 years. A dedicated Windows Mobile user, I was frustrated when they didn't embrace Windows Phone. They abandoned the HTC Arrive and that sealed it for me. I switched to Verizon so I could get a WP8 device (Lumia 822) even though my bill went up and I lost unlimited data. Picked up the Icon on release day. Glad I made the switch!

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I was a BlackBerry user on Sprint, and happy with Sprints service, but they seem to have no love for either BlackBerry or Windows Phone. When I needed a new phone and wanted Windows, I couldn't even find a live Sprint Windows Phone to try out, even the Microsoft store had none, and I know Sprint drug out the introduction of WP 8 as badly as BB10, so it was time to move on.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
i was on verizon for 4 years.

then i wanted a windows phone, and they didn't support them.

t-mobile allowed bringing your own phone, so i bought a used windows phone,
and switched.

it's a lot cheaper not having a contract, and i get more features on my own phone.

later

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has the badass Ativ SE and they allow BYOD whether on contract or not. They even allow LTE devices on prepaid now.

Sent from my LG G-Pro via the WPCentral Android app

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I switched from T-Mobile to AT&T for the 1020 (upgraded from a 521.) T-Mobile just doesn't have any good flagships other than the 925.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I switched from T-Mobile to AT&T for the 1020 (upgraded from a 521.) T-Mobile just doesn't have any good flagships other than the 925.
My contract is pretty much over with Verizon. So I'm thinking about going to AT&T just for the 1020, though now I think I should wait to see what's down the pipeline as far as new phones.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
My contract is pretty much over with Verizon. So I'm thinking about going to AT&T just for the 1020, though now I think I should wait to see what's down the pipeline as far as new phones.

Yeah I think I'd wait a little bit, I doubt we'll see another 41 MP camera for a long long time but who knows, maybe we'll get something close with better specs in other departments.

The battery life wasn't very good on the 1020 either from my experience. I would be at ~15-20% at the end of the day compared to the 50% on my 1520.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think I'd wait a little bit, I doubt we'll see another 41 MP camera for a long long time but who knows, maybe we'll get something close with better specs in other departments.

The battery life wasn't very good on the 1020 either from my experience. I would be at ~15-20% at the end of the day compared to the 50% on my 1520.

And wouldn't you know it, two days after these posts out come the leaks about the Lumia 830!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz