Has tap to pay on NFC always been in windows 10 mobile

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Nothing at this point in time. I'm sure the Wallet app will likely be one of the first options to use if/when this becomes available.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I thought the Wallet app was being disabled in functionality and there were plans to remove it, or did I misunderstand something somewhere?

I know there are plans for something, but we don't yet know what those plans entail. When it comes along, I'll be jumping on board.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
They mentioned something about mobile payment mid last year. But nothing has been mentioned since. I will ve shocked if they come out with anything. Especially since they said Windows Phone will not be a focus for this year. I think it's safe to say WP is dead

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They mentioned something about mobile payment mid last year. But nothing has been mentioned since. I will ve shocked if they come out with anything. Especially since they said Windows Phone will not be a focus for this year. I think it's safe to say WP is dead

I wouldn't say that Windows Phone is dead due to lack of tap and pay. Android has had it for 3 years, and Apple devices for a year and a half. Merchants with NFC terminals are still not ubiquitous, at least in the US. It hasn't exactly taken the world by storm.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Especially since they said Windows Phone will not be a focus for this year. I think it's safe to say WP is dead

Does anybody form opinions for themselves nowadays?
WP is only dead if you stop using your phone and move to a new platform. Who cares what your neighbors and friends choose to use? I certainly don't. As long as my phone continues to function and operate, it isn't dead. Even if Microsoft stopped delivering OS updates to my phone, it still wouldn't be "dead" to me until I decided to get a new phone with a different operating system.

NFC / Tap to pay is barely used by anyone in my area. Anytime it's used by someone with Android or Samsung pay, the clerks are mystified or think they did something wrong at their terminals because it's used so infrequently.

So yeah, Windows Phone is dead because it doesn't yet utilize a barely used function.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
WP is only dead if you stop using your phone and move to a new platform. Who cares what your neighbors and friends choose to use? I certainly don't. As long as my phone continues to function and operate, it isn't dead. Even if Microsoft stopped delivering OS updates to my phone, it still wouldn't be "dead" to me until I decided to get a new phone with a different operating system.

NFC / Tap to pay is barely used by anyone in my area. Anytime it's used by someone with Android or Samsung pay, the clerks are mystified or think they did something wrong at their terminals because it's used so infrequently.

So yeah, Windows Phone is dead because it doesn't yet utilize a barely used function.

Very true words!!!!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I agree. Thank you. Very well said.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say that Windows Phone is dead due to lack of tap and pay. Android has had it for 3 years, and Apple devices for a year and a half. Merchants with NFC terminals are still not ubiquitous, at least in the US. It hasn't exactly taken the world by storm.

I guess it's all depending on where you live. I thought I would be one of the last to get that option but, one by one terminals are being changed out to the ones that take the credit card chip and all of those that I have seen have tap to pay built in.

So, now my coffee shop uses it, super market, gas station, McD, and the list is going on. I get my coffee every morning with it.

Sure it's not taking the world over by storm but, I changed over to my LG G3 for a while and it really is nice.. Microsoft has been saying it's coming for years now. Here we are, still nothing.

The story with Windows Phone and "It's coming" is beyond old now... No matter how much I love Windows Phone, there are a lot of short comings on Windows Phone

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea how to use that BUT, does anyone know of a way I could scan my NFC bank card (Maestro) with my phone, and then be able to pay with my phone? Could that work?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea how to use that BUT, does anyone know of a way I could scan my NFC bank card (Maestro) with my phone, and then be able to pay with my phone? Could that work?

Sure, ask some East Europe hacker, they are masters of picking nfc codes simply "touching" pockets and jackets of people in crowdy places.
Some days ago in a Italian online newspaper showed a Metro surveillance video of a man putting his phone on people in a fully plenty Metro train, and it was explained as a nfc code capture tryal made by a specialized gang :)

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I suggest to not be so myopic. Just because one person uses a crippled mobile OS is not an indication if said OS is alive or dead. You must look at the big picture. Windows mobile is has no steam in the enterprise, Android has all the momentum and it course having less then two present share in consumer says it's dead.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
A phone's primary function nowadays is to communicate and get on the web. My phone does just that.
It's not bricked and is fully operational. The perception of "dead" is akin to a popularity contest and it's downright stupid.

Unless you're developing apps for the platform as a sole source of income, tossing the word "dead" around is equivalent to partaking in high school gossip. The alive/dead argument is purely based on popularity, aka "marketshare."

From a consumer standpoint, it is also irrelevant; unless you're an app wh0re.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Sure, ask some East Europe hacker, they are masters of picking nfc codes simply "touching" pockets and jackets of people in crowdy places.
Some days ago in a Italian online newspaper showed a Metro surveillance video of a man putting his phone on people in a fully plenty Metro train, and it was explained as a nfc code capture tryal made by a specialized gang :)

Well that's always a thing to consider, but i'd still put a pin code to pay as i see the phone gives me that option :)

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
A phone's primary function nowadays is to communicate and get on the web. My phone does just that.
It's not bricked and is fully operational. The perception of "dead" is akin to a popularity contest and it's downright stupid.

Unless you're developing apps for the platform as a sole source of income, tossing the word "dead" around is equivalent to partaking in high school gossip. The alive/dead argument is purely based on popularity, aka "marketshare."

From a consumer standpoint, it is also irrelevant; unless you're an app wh0re.
You keep on with that thinking. The OS is dead, no one is supporting it. Good luck

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Thinking for themselves? How would any Verizon customer see it as anything but dead? There is literally no support for Windows 10 mobile with the biggest carrier in the US. Excuse me but I am thinking for myself from real world experience.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thinking for themselves? How would any Verizon customer see it as anything but dead? There is literally no support for Windows 10 mobile with the biggest carrier in the US. Excuse me but I am thinking for myself from real world experience.
Okay, well, then why are you posting on a Windows forum?

I don't know what goes on in carrier stores. I bought my last phone over the internet. I only set foot in my provider's store to buy a SIM card when I switched providers recently.

But you're right, most people are sheep. They only buy what's popular / suggested to them by salespeople; many of which aren't making much more than minimum wage and only suggest what will score them the biggest commission (Clearly, Apple wins in this dept). Microsoft doesn't pay good enough commissions to warrant being suggested by these companies and probably why many companies stopped carrying MS phones. Sure, they aren't gonna move if people don't know about them.

Microsoft is a horribly ran company, no doubt about it. I like their OS, I use it on my PC and phone. If they ever stop supporting the mobile OS, I will be disappointed but would move on like everyone else.

Though if you are worried about what others are doing, then I suppose your perceptions would be "omg, Windows Phone is so dead."
W10 mobile is still receiving updates and improvements, so as far as I care it is not dead. What everyone else does with their phones, I couldn't give a toss. Mine is doing what it is intended to do. I do not buy a phone or use it for a fashion statement like most Iphone owners. Though if that is your goal, a Windows Phone should certainly be the last thing on your mind.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Okay, well, then why are you posting on a Windows forum?

I don't know what goes on in carrier stores. I bought my last phone over the internet. I only set foot in my provider's store to buy a SIM card when I switched providers recently.

But you're right, most people are sheep. They only buy what's popular / suggested to them by salespeople; many of which aren't making much more than minimum wage and only suggest what will score them the biggest commission (Clearly, Apple wins in this dept). Microsoft doesn't pay good enough commissions to warrant being suggested by these companies and probably why many companies stopped carrying MS phones. Sure, they aren't gonna move if people don't know about them.

Microsoft is a horribly ran company, no doubt about it. I like their OS, I use it on my PC and phone. If they ever stop supporting the mobile OS, I will be disappointed but would move on like everyone else.

Though if you are worried about what others are doing, then I suppose your perceptions would be "omg, Windows Phone is so dead."
W10 mobile is still receiving updates and improvements, so as far as I care it is not dead. What everyone else does with their phones, I couldn't give a toss. Mine is doing what it is intended to do. I do not buy a phone or use it for a fashion statement like most Iphone owners. Though if that is your goal, a Windows Phone should certainly be the last thing on your mind.
I post on Windows forums because one, I'm an enthusiast, two I work in the technology world. The new flagship Windows 10 mobile phones will not, and let me be clear will not, run on Verizon. No matter where you choose to purchase the phone. So, I am far, far from a sheep. So, if I have another opinion that goes against yours I'm not allowed to post? I am stating fact not fiction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb