Has tap to pay on NFC always been in windows 10 mobile

Curtis Webb

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
The functionality of NFC TaptoPay for Windows Phone has always been there. In fact, at one point there was an app you could use. I had it and I used it. It was SoftBank or SoftPay, which Google bought, and completely destroyed all Windows Phone aspects. That's why they have Google Wallet now. It wasn't something they came up with, they bought the app and rebranded it. Microsoft should have done it first. TaptoPay is a big deal for a lot of people despite how much it is used. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft realizes this and I'm sure they are working on a solution, but they want it to work, without any issues. It's absolutely critical at this point, since they are so late in the game with mobile, to get everything right the first time. So as they say, please be patient....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The functionality of NFC TaptoPay for Windows Phone has always been there. In fact, at one point there was an app you could use. I had it and I used it. It was SoftBank or SoftPay, which Google bought, and completely destroyed all Windows Phone aspects. That's why they have Google Wallet now. It wasn't something they came up with, they bought the app and rebranded it. Microsoft should have done it first. TaptoPay is a big deal for a lot of people despite how much it is used. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft realizes this and I'm sure they are working on a solution, but they want it to work, without any issues. It's absolutely critical at this point, since they are so late in the game with mobile, to get everything right the first time. So as they say, please be patient....

NFC was always there but, tap to pay was not even an option till WIndows Phone till 8/8.1

I had softpay as well, till google purchaced it and killed it for Windows Phone....

Still waiting on Microsoft....I moved to my LG G3 for a while, with all the apps I have access to, maybe 2 apps and tap to pay, I would be back on WP forever....As I dont need a billion apps, I just need a select few..

I'll be dead honest, I love Windows Phone but, getting really tired of waiting for Microsoft to play catch up, not just apps but, the subject of this thread....It's getting very old..

Because this is *Windows* Central, not Windows Phone Central. The phone part of Windows and Microsoft, is a very tiny, insignificant (in terms of revenue or profits) part of the company.

but, it WAS Windows Phone Central.... If you go to WPCENTRAL.com it will redirect here...

They also saw the lack of people for WP, so they turned it into Windows Central, to cover WP, Windows and Xbox...that they were doing anyway due to the lack of WP content.

Last edited:

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry guys my intention wasn't to be negative and this thread has some of that in it. I was just asking about the option as it would be nice to have and I saw it. I have faith in the production as I haves spent thousands of dollars on windows phones literally. I always say if you can complain about the code you can write it yourself. I understand the first party titles but find a workaround.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Come on Microsoft give us Tap to Pay on Windows Phone/Windows Mobile ! I am on my LG G3 right now, I was going to switch back to my Lumia ICON but, now that I got so used to Tap to Pay, as almost everywhere takes it now, it's REALLY hard to live with out it..

Android is OK....a messy OS, but, over all, it does everything Windows Phone does including more. I prefer Windows Phone but, it will be very hard going back with out Tap to pay...

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
My word, because we post about the decline of Win phone we are Android and it's lovers here's a snippet about MS quarter review numbers. If reality upsets you then maybe you should move to another forum. "Total device revenue was down 9 percent, mainly due to a 46 percent decline in phone revenue. Just 2.3 million Lumia phones were sold, down from more than 8 million a year ago, as the collapse due to delayed product releases, lay-offs, loss of confidence, and a near total abandonment by mobile phone carriers, continues unabated"

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Come on Microsoft give us Tap to Pay on Windows Phone/Windows Mobile ! I am on my LG G3 right now, I was going to switch back to my Lumia ICON but, now that I got so used to Tap to Pay, as almost everywhere takes it now, it's REALLY hard to live with out it..

Android is OK....a messy OS, but, over all, it does everything Windows Phone does including more. I prefer Windows Phone but, it will be very hard going back with out Tap to pay...
I am with you 1000 percent I love the platform but just can't honestly recommend or use it as a daily driver anymore.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My biggest problem with tap to pay isn't the lack of support on Windows 10 Mobile, but the lack of support at places I shop. None of the places I shop regularly (Walmart and Kroger, for groceries and general goods) support Mobile Pay. There are places I do not visit whatsoever that do support it, but that would do me no good even if our platform supported it. I'm talking places like McDonald's and Burger King. I don't do fast food. On the rare occasions I do eat out, I don't do fast food. I go to a nice restaurant where they have a hostess lead you to your seat, a server takes your order, and you give your credit card to the server who returns a few minutes later with your receipt. Then you leave a little cash on the table for a tip.

Tap to pay won't help me pay at the restaurants I go to, nor the stores I shop at. Everyone is converting to chip and pin here in the US, so the tap to pay has been going downhill, at least where I live. Many stores have removed the "tap to pay" terminals for the chip and pin terminals. By next year, all newly issued debit and credit cards will be required to have chip and pin by law, and the tap to pay cards will be a thing of the past.

I honestly don't know what that means for Apple Pay, Android Pay, or whatever. I haven't read up on that. I just know that the US passed a new law requiring the chip method instead of NFC. No more magnetic strips either. That part is a good thing, since the magnetic strips seem to get damaged.

Perhaps Microsoft is looking to see if it will still be a viable thing to do at this point. They've seen this coming for the last couple of years, even before it was public, because they kept up with and saw the lobbying to get it done.

Perhaps Tap to Pay will still be allowed if used in conjunction with a fingerprint, iris scan, or pin code. I really don't know. I'd love it if someone who has the actual info on this would elaborate. I'm out of time this morning, as I've got to go get ready to take my 3 year old girl to a puppet show, so no time to research it today.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I am with you 1000 percent I love the platform but just can't honestly recommend or use it as a daily driver anymore.

It's sad, It IS a beautiful platform, easy to use, data where it needs to be when you need it, far better than Android OR the iPhone but, taken by the lack of support by Microsoft, Saying everything is coming and showing nothing. Even Windows 10 Mobile is a joke in this aspect.

Microsoft pretty much gave up for now....for now ? WTF does that actually mean ? So, they dont care for a year, so I give up for a while...if they get their CRAP together, I'll come back, I want to be on Windows Phone but, as you said, with the lack of basic features (like Tap to Pay), it's really not fully ready for someone who wants to take advanage of features available on MODERN phones.

My biggest problem with tap to pay isn't the lack of support on Windows 10 Mobile, but the lack of support at places I shop. None of the places I shop regularly (Walmart and Kroger, for groceries and general goods) support Mobile Pay.

I guess it's where you live... I thought my area was the LAST to get anything like that. A lot of places are swapping out for CHIP readers and most of them have tap to pay built in. I was shocked, the local Dunkin donuts, the little stores, the big super market, and all the fast food joints do too (even though I dont go there much).

They are out there, you need to find them... but, if you have a Windows Phone device, you CANT USE THEM. And that is very sad...good job Microsoft..

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft pretty much gave up for now....for now ? WTF does that actually mean ?

Chill. Microsoft didn't "give up." They simply aren't hitting the marketing hard and they are putting on the brakes for manufacturing so they can change the direction things are going. You don't make a hairpin curve running full throttle. You've got to slow down for it or you'll crash and burn. They just have to get everything lined up, and that takes time. I understand their business plan, but this thread isn't the place to lay it out. Besides, it's been laid out too many times on this site already for those who are willing to see it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Chill. Microsoft didn't "give up." They simply aren't hitting the marketing hard and they are putting on the brakes for manufacturing so they can change the direction things are going. You don't make a hairpin curve running full throttle. You've got to slow down for it or you'll crash and burn. They just have to get everything lined up, and that takes time. I understand their business plan, but this thread isn't the place to lay it out. Besides, it's been laid out too many times on this site already for those who are willing to see it.

I guess you have your thoughts and I have mine. I work with Microsoft products for a living, I am a systems admin for 20 years now. I have been watching how Microsoft does things over the years. This is NOT the first time they have done this type of thing (dropping dev for a year and seeing where the market goes). There have been many products that they made that they did the same EXACT thing to.

So, in a year, what happens ? They are not doing any promo for it, they are NOT going to PUSH new models (maybe 1-2 but, not a big push by any means), No more push to get those 3rd party apps, unless the dev creates them.

A year from now, market share in the global market will drop to less than 1% (market might grow a little due to new models but, older models will drop off use). Microsoft will sit at a table, after years of losing money on Windows Phone and decide it's all over. They are a global mulit-billion dollar corporation, they answer to stock holders who have been saying for YEARS dump mobile.

If there was any sign over the years to say the writing on the wall, this would be it.

I do hope I am wrong (and I am not the ONLY person saying this) but, the real question you should be asking your self will anything really change in a YEAR from now ? The way things are going, it does not look good.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I work with Microsoft products for a living, I am a systems admin for 20 years now. I have been watching how Microsoft does things over the years.

Working with golf clubs doesn't make a person a professional golfer. No offense. I've been a CIO, then went into Freelance Consulting because it was better in so many ways, then I went into retirement. Over 30 years of it. I'm in my early 50s and enjoying retirement life. I've also watched how Microsoft does things over the years. Including since they were founded, as my Father worked for IBM and I learned about Microsoft from him before Microsoft was ever news.

I know you're not the only one saying that. It's like at the beginning of the 2015 College Football season, everyone predicted that Auburn was going to be the SEC Champs. Haha! They were wrong, and I knew it when they predicted it. They said Ole Miss wouldn't win much, and would get beat by Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Mississippi State, among others. They were wrong on all counts.

Most people said the iPhone was a ridiculous gimmick when it first came on the scene and declared it would fail. We all know how that turned out.

Just because a lot of people say something doesn't make it true. If you want to know the truth of what will happen, then you have to wait for it. That's life. Predicting futures is usually bad business.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I know you're not the only one saying that. It's like at the beginning of the 2015 College Football season, everyone predicted that Auburn was going to be the SEC Champs. Haha! They were wrong, and I knew it when they predicted it. They said Ole Miss wouldn't win much, and would get beat by Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Mississippi State, among others. They were wrong on all counts.

Most people said the iPhone was a ridiculous gimmick when it first came on the scene and declared it would fail. We all know how that turned out.

Just because a lot of people say something doesn't make it true. If you want to know the truth of what will happen, then you have to wait for it. That's life. Predicting futures is usually bad business.

Keep in mind, I would 100% agree with you if the product was 3-4 years old. Trust me, I want it to be successful, I want a BILLION apps(not myself but, choice of apps), I want Tap TO Pay. I love the OS no question and have from day one. I've had 5 different WP devices over the years (not including the PocketPC devices).

The truth is, Windows Phone is now like 6-7 years old, and where does it still sit ? At the process where it has been going and with NO MARKETING, Where do you think it will be on this "one year" from now ?

I don't need to be someone trying to predicting the future to see where this COULD go....and knowing Microsoft history, it's pretty bad in my eyes..

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone is dead. Windows 10 is where it is at for both PC and Mobile. And HoloLens, XBox, IoT, etc.

The future as nothing to do with Microsoft wanting to do a mobile OS or the success with it. It's about redefining everything. PC and Mobile are headed towards a merger in the future until they are one-and-the-same.

Yes, Microsoft's history with phones is bad. But their history with Desktop is phenomenal, and so is their history in creating new categories like the Surface did.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Just discovered here in Italy Poste Italiane made an app for NFC payment for their bank and prepaid card customers.
Wish I could pair my nfc bancomat to my nfc phone

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
NFC doesn't allow you to "pair" your credit card or bancomat. An app (if HCE is supported by your phone) "virtualizes" the card (better, creates a secure channel with your card in the cloud) or a virtual credit card is stored in a secure element inside a SecureSim to allow NFC transactions.
Poste Italiane allows only the latter as far as i know, which requires you to have a Poste Italiane Secure sim. It's pretty easy to make it working, but, as rhapdog said earlier, you still need an NFC enabled terminal. To make things a little more complicated here in Italy, credit card payments under a certain amount are usually overcharged, discouraged or not supported by vendors. Why on earth would I need tap-to-pay if I can't use my credit card for payments under 50 euros?
Believe me, Italy is still living in stone age: I happened to try tap to pay at Mediaworld last year, and the clerk called security because he thought i hacked the terminal with my phone. 5 seconds to pay, minutes to explain what I did, go figure..

That said, as far as i understand the technology behind it, Microsoft did a great job on this front, and is really not to blame this time. It was among the the firsts supporting NFC payments with secure sim since Lumia 920, the first phone with WM8.0 released. Unfortunately no operators were ready at first.
Now with Win10 Mobile they supports HCE on specific devices (HCE was developed to remove operators in the payment process), yet mastercard, visa and amex are still refusing to release an HCE app for the windows platform. Visa made an app, (in italy it's called MySI) which enables HCE NFC payments but just on android and iOS.

As for now, it's not really on Microsoft to enable our phones, but Credit Card companies and banks to release HCE apps. Microsoft is probably going to create its own ApplePay sevice but I wouldn't hold my breath for its expansion outside the US.

I personally gave up on tap-to-pay until we reach bronze age at least.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)