Heard any good Surface Laptop rumors?

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Ok THE hot new rumor is that Microsoft as a new Surface Laptop coming, and pictures MAY or may NOT have leaked. So what else do we know? Any good rumors out there? What do we want to see? This is the thread!

Rich

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
The notorious MacBook killer, huh? I really want one!

Are there any upgradable options? Google is acting up so I can't even research it at the moment.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
The notorious MacBook killer, huh? I really want one!

Are there any upgradable options? Google is acting up so I can't even research it at the moment.

From the same article :

The trade-off for those perks is that Windows 10 S won't let you install any software that's not from the Windows Store app market, which means that, at the very least, you wouldn't be able to install the Google Chrome web browser.

If you're not down with that, Microsoft will let you switch any Windows 10 S computer, including the Surface Laptop, to the regular Windows 10 Pro for a one-time $49 fee — less if you're on a tablet or something else with a smaller screen. But if you do that, Microsoft says, it can't guarantee you'll get the improved battery life and performance.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
From the same article :

The trade-off for those perks is that Windows 10 S won't let you install any software that's not from the Windows Store app market, which means that, at the very least, you wouldn't be able to install the Google Chrome web browser.

If you're not down with that, Microsoft will let you switch any Windows 10 S computer, including the Surface Laptop, to the regular Windows 10 Pro for a one-time $49 fee — less if you're on a tablet or something else with a smaller screen. But if you do that, Microsoft says, it can't guarantee you'll get the improved battery life and performance.

Hmm... that's interesting. I wouldn't be able to do what I need to do If I got the Windows 10 S version, since the Windows Store doesn't have everything I need.

I'll most likely end up looking at the fully speced out Windows 10 Pro version.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
The storage won't matter too much as I always carry a high capacity external HDD and SSD.

Yea, but, will the laptop allow installing apps to ext.hdd ?

My Android tablet, Surface RT, 2 Dell laptops and one Acer laptop will not let me installing apps to ext. hdd.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
@davidhk129
If I have the Windows 10 Pro version, it should, shouldn't it? I was just going store project files and backups on it. I won't download too much stuff onto the actual OS SSD

Only thing I need installed are Photoshop, Blender and probably Maya modeling software, and the Unity Game Engine

Edit: I may get the 256GB version but if I really need more storage I'll look at the 512GB version.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
The laptop has ONLY 16 GB Ram.
That's your "internal storage" capacity most of which will be used for Win 10 operating files. The "left-over" after the OS setup will be for installing apps. I suspect the left-over won't be more than 6-8 GB. Not much for installing apps.

Ext. hdd is " external storage" which is used for personal files, i.e. docs, pictures, video and audio files etc.

Unless there is a way to install apps to an ext. hdd, the laptop is handicapped by lack of internal storage. Hell ! Even my 3 years old Surface RT has 32 GB Ram.

That is my understanding, and that is what happens to all my computers.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
@davidhk129

?? Ram isn't storage... Ram is "Random Access Memory".
You're thinking of Rom (internal storage).

Ram is the physical thin but long sticks you can place inside of a PC

The SSD is the storage which is up to 512GBs of internal storage.

The link provided said there is a 8GB and 16GB Ram option with 128, 256, and 512GB SSD option and i5 and i7 CPU option...

The OS takes about 15-25GB (with updates) of that storage.

fed0f2773757aee72701f203b038666e.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo