Help cant decide lumia 2520 or surface 2?

jpmfan

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
anyone know if there's been tests of people putting a 64gb sd card in and seeing what happens? I'm curious to know if only 32gb is usable or if it just won't see it.

Anthony Lowry

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The notebookcheck ratings seems to put the qualcoms just barely higher than the tegra

Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist - NotebookCheck.net Tech

This review seems to show that the 2520's graphics processor isn't the best, but that the CPU is up there towards the top.

Nokia Lumia 2520 Review | Ubergizmo (about 2/3rds down for charts).

From my experience with both on Android, they are the same.

However, Nvidia drivers for the Surface 2 have been giving users issues with the Surface 2. There is said to be a fix on December 10th.

I used a 2520 today at Verizon.

The only cons for me are:

Proprietary Charging Jack
No Kickstand

I found it more inviting and sleek than the Surface 2. I know that does not mean much, but I would pick it up before I picked up a Surface 2 to use if they were on the same table.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Right now I was in the same boat as the OP but the L2520 might swing it for me:
1) It has LTE for true mobility
2) Slim bezel at 8.9mm
3) The power keyboard is atrociously slim.. yet packs 2 usb ports + a battery extending live by 5hrs or so (hell i thought it was quite thick.. this picture was abit a misleading lol) View attachment 48056
4)) has a qualcomm snapdragon 800 cpu [armv7 I think?] MSM8974 (2.2ghz quadcore - 4x krait 400 + adreno 330 gpu)
5) Fast charge - 80% or so in hour!
6) almost a 180 degree viewing angle
7) clearblack display with sunlight readability - I always laughed at my friends when they had cower in the shade in the summer just to read their android phones / iphones screens :p
8) here maps
9) nokia music

When you compare these to the surface 2:
1) No LTE - apparently LTE Model to be released 2014
2) The bezel is quite thick compared to the L2520
3) Tegra 4 at 1.7ghz
4) charge time rated at 2 to 4 hours.

Apart from the above there is not much difference as the camera or speakers don't really appeal to me as I generally use my headphones and b) I won't be taking pictures with my tablet - that is my L920's job lol. Also both have HDMI out (MS call it HD Video Out), both support miracast, charge time about 10 to 11 hours. The only negative I see about the L2520 is that it only supports upto 32gb with the msd card slot - Lumia 2520 Spec Sheet.
But there is a solution for that.. this little beauty! View attachment 48058 - Nano Usb 32gb

But I am in two minds right now, I think I will wait for the reviews on WPcentral after which I will look at the other reviews before I make my choice (as I found most reviewers don't know what their talking about - for example mobilegeeks.de reviewer totally missed the office icons in his hands on video, Tom Warren.. well lets just say his hands on video was beyond lazy at best). In the mean time will do some more research on the surface 2.

The Nokia Lumia 2520 can receive 64 GB micro SD card. Go to nokias website and look at the specs under data.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Lol Tegra 4 beats Snapdragon 800 so no the 2520 does not have a better CPU also Surface 2 allows bigger sd cards and has a better GPU and a better ffc which is far more useful than rear camera on a tablet, Also Surface 2 has TV-Out via hdmi which the Lumia doesn't have and Surface 2 has 2 years full sky drive and Skype for free.

the 2520 can receive 64 GB SD cards, go the nokias website and look under the data section.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
that's good to see. don't know why up until this point though they'd had it listed as 32GB. swings back in favour the Lumia for me.

I have a similar dilemma too, I think I will get the 2520 now because the charge case with keyboard is now free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jpmfan

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar dilemma too, I think I will get the 2520 now because the charge case with keyboard is now free.

hopefully they have a similar offer when it comes to Europe, really hope it arrives before Christmas, heard rumours of a UK release next week.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I said that there would be a surface Power cover... Given that the battery in that is the same size as the one in the Surface 2, it will obviously approximately double the run time up to about 20 hour even if we don't know any more specifications.

About the pictures, it is a bit hard to compare as the brightness might be too different, but the yellow on the desktop tile looks a bit muted on the Surface, which would be expected as it has a screen that does not cover the entire colour space which the 2520 likely does then. The same is true if you compare the iPad Air with the iPad mini with retina display for that matter.

Retina iPad mini display shows poorer color accuracy than Apple's iPad Air
Actually the battery cover doesn't double the Surface2, it was a widely misquote what MS said in the launch.
BTW, 2520 does fair better alone or with its cover compare to Surface in almost every battery test.
Guess whats left is user report to separate them.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I am returning my S2 tomorrow, why? Not because I don't like it, yet after holding and using 2520 for my needs which is strictly tablet use with no keyboard IMHO the 2520 shines, I like that its not as wide as the S2 My tablet is always on my legs sitting up in bed, kick stand for me mot required.
If I want a laptop experience I will stick with my Samsung notebook.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I am returning my S2 tomorrow, why? Not because I don't like it, yet after holding and using 2520 for my needs which is strictly tablet use with no keyboard IMHO the 2520 shines, I like that its not as wide as the S2 My tablet is always on my legs sitting up in bed, kick stand for me mot required.
If I want a laptop experience I will stick with my Samsung notebook.

Was the s2 smooth at least? I think I will get the 2520 because I do all my typing on my laptop not tablet. The charger is very enticing.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes the S2 is smooth. Its just to me if you want the better tablet, I would go for the Nokia also as of today Nokia is giving the keyboard away. But I will never use it.
Now all I am worried about is that Windows RT makes it. IMHO the Metro interface is really nice and simple yet more powerful then IOS.
My personal opinion is this whole hybrid idea is a mistake. If you want a tablet buy a tablet if you want a real productive device get a laptop.

So tomorrow back to best buy to return my surface and then off to Verizon to pick up my Nokia.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
the 2520 can receive 64 GB SD cards, go the nokias website and look under the data section.

yes, the nokia website sates 64GB, but the Lumia 2520 user manual says 32GB. The carrier website specs both say 32GB. I hope 64GB works. See if anyone has tried this will post their result.

The free keyboard offer makes 2520 the best choice. From price point of view, it is a better buy than S2 with 32GB, given LTE, NFC, GPS, and better nokia map and photo apps, and nicer screen.

The nokia keyboard is more than just a keyboard, but adds battery, kick stand, full size USBs, and a complete protective cover for both sides of the device. While S2 is metallic, and type cover only protects the screen. Depending on how you travel, it's more likely someone will want to get a sleeve for the S2, adding more bulk and weight. Type cover is about $120, and is not cheap. While the backlit is cool, the typing it offers is not going to be miles ahead of the nokia keyboard. Type cover is still a compromise, compared to regular laptops.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

anon(3993749)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
The tegra 4 was in the nvidia shield which was a higher clocked tegra 4, and has a huge hinksink when compared to these tablets.

Partially true. The Tegra 4 inside the Surface 2 runs at 1.9GHz when only one core is being used. And according to some reviews (Engadget, Slashgear, CNET and even WPCentral) the 2520 is slightly slower in SunSpider and Kraken even though the browser is identical. It's also slower in some graphics benchmarks like GFXBench according to Ubergizmo and CNET. This all proves that the comparison I mentioned in my previous post is quite accurate even when the clock speed is lower. None of this matters though because the difference is too small to count.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Partially true. The Tegra 4 inside the Surface 2 runs at 1.9GHz when only one core is being used. And according to some reviews (Engadget, Slashgear, CNET and even WPCentral) the 2520 is slightly slower in SunSpider and Kraken even though the browser is identical. It's also slower in some graphics benchmarks like GFXBench according to Ubergizmo and CNET. This all proves that the comparison I mentioned in my previous post is quite accurate even when the clock speed is lower. None of this matters though because the difference is too small to count.

It is clocked at 1.7 GHz, but both tablets trade blows, the surface takes some wins while the 2520 takes other wins.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually the battery cover doesn't double the Surface2, it was a widely misquote what MS said in the launch.
BTW, 2520 does fair better alone or with its cover compare to Surface in almost every battery test.
Guess whats left is user report to separate them.
Eh, wrong,the figure which was quoted back then was that the power cover would increase the battery life of the Surface Pro about 75 %. Seriously, did you even read my post? The battery in the Surface 2 is 30 Wh, which is the same size as the battery in the power cover which is also 30 Wh, hence it will obviously approximately double the battery life as it would do and does for every other tablet around. The Power keyboard cover battery for the Lumia 2520 is only 50 % of the size of the tablets battery, hence it will give a lesser boost compared to the Surface power cover. You are just spreading misinformation here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss