Help! Did Safemode mess up my 2520?

rsud93

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
So I tried to boot my 2520 into safemode to fix some issues I was having updating apps. I went into msconfig -> Boot and checked the Safemode box, then rebooted right away. When it rebooted, it got to the password screen fine, and the screen works (the insertion bar is blinking in the password box), but NOTHING is working. I can't type on my keyboard, touchscreen doesn't work, mouse doesn't work. If I hold the power button down, the little 'slide down to shut down' thing comes down, but I can't swipe it down because the touch screen isn't working. I've tried rebooting multiple times by holding the power button for 10 seconds, and same thing happens - I can't touch nor type. It's as if all input methods have completely stopped working, so my 2520 is essentially stuck on the password screen.

Did me trying to get into safemode do this? I did install some Windows Updates earlier before this happened, but it rebooted just fine. It's only after I rebooted after the safemode that this happened. Please help!! Did I brick my Lumia? I really don't want to have to replace it again, especially with the data that was on it. Please help. What do I do? I can't do anything on my device itself as there's no way I can navigate it... :(

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does it keep booting into Safe Mode? (How ironic, but since Safe Mode doesn't run "non"essentials, it couldve killed touchscreen controls potentially. But this is all sheer conjecture.

Perhaps you could get an OTG cable and hook in a mouse or keyboard?

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
If you continue to hold down the power button it should eventually turn off. I had the touchscreen go wonky on me once and couldn't get the swipe up to work and holding down the power button even longer worked for me.

Good luck!

rsud93

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Does it keep booting into Safe Mode? (How ironic, but since Safe Mode doesn't run "non"essentials, it couldve killed touchscreen controls potentially. But this is all sheer conjecture.

Perhaps you could get an OTG cable and hook in a mouse or keyboard?

Thanks, that did it. Yeah, it kept booting into safemode every time I rebooted it, and I had a feeling safemode disabled the Touchscreen and power keyboard inputs, so basically nothing worked. I had to hunt down a microUSB-USB cable today and plug in a mouse, and thankfully it worked. I undid what I did in msconfig, rebooted, and now it's working fine.

Just a word of warning out there, don't boot your 2520 into safemode unless you have a USB cable! I think it's stupid that the safemode disabled the Touchscreen and power keyboard. Something they should look into...

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that did it. Yeah, it kept booting into safemode every time I rebooted it, and I had a feeling safemode disabled the Touchscreen and power keyboard inputs, so basically nothing worked. I had to hunt down a microUSB-USB cable today and plug in a mouse, and thankfully it worked. I undid what I did in msconfig, rebooted, and now it's working fine.

Just a word of warning out there, don't boot your 2520 into safemode unless you have a USB cable! I think it's stupid that the safemode disabled the Touchscreen and power keyboard. Something they should look into...

Wow, definitely something to report to Nokia and possibly MS too. I wonder if the Surface has this same issue. One would think that maybe the BIOS could let the touch screen emulate a mouse without the multitouch stuff and all.

rsud93

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I went to Nokia customer service about this when I had the issue, and told them what had happened once I figured it out. So hopefully they're aware now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99