Help! My Documents folder suddently takes up the full screen

sunlight smile

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
This morning when I attempted to open the Documents folder on my laptop, I found it either came up with a teeny window that was unreadable or filled the entire screen with the folder arranged horizontally instead of in a neat vertical alphabetical column.

I have spent almost an hour trying to find out how to get the good version of the folder back.

What happened and how can I fix it?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This morning when I attempted to open the Documents folder on my laptop, I found it either came up with a teeny window that was unreadable or filled the entire screen with the folder arranged horizontally instead of in a neat vertical alphabetical column.

I have spent almost an hour trying to find out how to get the good version of the folder back.

What happened and how can I fix it?

When you launch the file explorer from the task bar does the samething happen?

You can add a screenshot to your reply and it should show up as an attachement.

sunlight smile

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
I am not sure I understand the question.
I am accustomed to clicking on the Documents icon on the Desktop.
Are you referring to the "File" choice in the topline menu---which only shows up AFTER you open the Documents folder?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure I understand the question.
I am accustomed to clicking on the Documents icon on the Desktop.
Are you referring to the "File" choice in the topline menu---which only shows up AFTER you open the Documents folder?

Ah, I presume you are referring to this folder icon?

File explorer icon.PNG

To clarify that is what I meant by file explorer, which resides on the task bar.

As you mentioned it does not resize, I presume you tried right clicking it?

You can try right clicking the task bar and choose cascade windows, this should force the windows to resize, if it get's stuck you can choose to undo cascade windows.

If this doesn't work You might have to restart windows explorer process.

You can do this by:

1. Pressing the windows key + x, ctrl+alt+delete keys together or right clicking the task bar.
  2. From the list choose task manager.
  3. In the processes tab under the apps section you should see Windows Explorer.
  4. Right click windows explorer and click restart.
  5. If that doesn't work, repeat steps 1 to 3 and this time choose end task after right clicking.
  6. Then go to file, run task and type in explorer and then press enter. Or alternatively press the windows key + r for the Run command dialogue box then typing explorer then enter. Or you can access it via Windows Key + X

If this doesn't work, use windows key + r for open the run dialogue box again and this time type in dxdiag, if you get prompt to ask if you want to check the drivers are digitally signed click yes / okay. The diagnostic programme will run and all the tabs at the top should display no problems.

Please post the results of the diagnostics tool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss