HERE Drive and 8.1

penny_xp

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
I have the same problem as the thread starter with my lumia 925 with cyan and gdr1 update using my 2009 Renault Clio GT (Original Radiosat radio with bluetooth handsfree option) :/
My car picks up the voice from heredrive as a call so I miss the first part .. With gdr1 the situation is even worse: Now the music playback pauses and my car shows a call notification but i hear nothing :/ then the call ends and the music continues ..
Activating the alternative bluetooth option under bluetooth settings on the 925 doesn't seem to do anything :/
I did however find kind of a temporary solution:
Inside my bluetooth settings on my car radio I can disconnect my phone. This won't stop music playback put it disables the ability to accept calls .. Now the music pauses everytime heredrive want's to give me directions and I can hear them through my car speakers :). Since I normally don't use my phone inside my car I can live with that BUT I have to do this everytime I start my car so it's kind of annoying -.-

So if you can find inside you cars radio some option to disable calls over bluetooth this could perhaps work .. Or try to disconnect your phone inside your radio bluetooth settings .. (This schould work with renault/dacia/nissan(?) cars)

I still hope microsoft / heredrive will fix this problem ..

senthil gnanasekhar

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I did some more analysis with this issue.I bought copilot USA paid version app from windows store and surprisingly it also has the same issue like Here drive where I get calling activated when it tries to tell me the route. Did anyone find a solution to this issue

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody wrote to Here drive team or how do we get this to the notice of Microsoft?

Two of us have contacted the Here team via Twitter. Someone from the Here team posted here but his response wasn't very helpful for this issue and he never returned. Peter14f linked to the Microsoft User Voice issue so hopefully someone from MS looks at that.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar problem on my HTC One M8. I first experienced it when playing music in my car over Bluetooth, and trying to run Nokia Drive+ at the same time. The navigation voice cuts out after a few words and can't complete a sentence. It works fine if I manually pause the music, or if I turn off Bluetooth.

But here's something else I discovered. If I don't use Nokia Drive at all, but instead try to use Cortana while playing music over bluetooth, she is not able to understand my voice - the voice recognition "stutters". I don't think the problem is Nokia at all. I think it is something about bluetooth which is still a problem in Windows 8.1.1. I think bluetooth is using so much CPU that the phone has very little processing power left for anything else.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar problem on my HTC One M8. I first experienced it when playing music in my car over Bluetooth, and trying to run Nokia Drive+ at the same time. The navigation voice cuts out after a few words and can't complete a sentence. It works fine if I manually pause the music, or if I turn off Bluetooth.

But here's something else I discovered. If I don't use Nokia Drive at all, but instead try to use Cortana while playing music over bluetooth, she is not able to understand my voice - the voice recognition "stutters". I don't think the problem is Nokia at all. I think it is something about bluetooth which is still a problem in Windows 8.1.1. I think bluetooth is using so much CPU that the phone has very little processing power left for anything else.
I see on Microsoft's support site a lot of people have the same problem with every Windows Phone 8.1 device.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
OP here, just confirming after finally getting the Cyan update yesterday on my 1020 running WP 8.1 DP with all updates that the problem is still there. Even deleted the pairing from the phone and the vehicle and re-paired them to make sure everything was synced up right. Still get the "new" symptom of silence instead of any directions. Same thing happens with texts now. Oh and both things are no longer creating fake phone calls. Music just pauses like it should, but nothing (directions, "do you want me to read the text", etc.) is heard.

peter14f

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
For those with a front auxiliary input in your car, you could buy a "MPOW Streambot Mini Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Music Streaming Receiver Adapter". I found it on Amazon.

Now you would pair your phone with this device instead of your car stereo and switch your car stereo to the AUX mode.

It's a workaround. The drawback is that you will need to turn the receiver on and off yourself when you get in and out of the car (to save battery).
But now at least I can listen to music and use here driver+ at the same time without going nuts. No more annoying beeping sound before each navigation instruction.

The receiver also has a built in microphone. I tried a phone call and it worked fine. Cortana can also hear me okay.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
For those with a front auxiliary input in your car, you could buy a "MPOW Streambot Mini Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Music Streaming Receiver Adapter". I found it on Amazon.

Now you would pair your phone with this device instead of your car stereo and switch your car stereo to the AUX mode.

It's a workaround. The drawback is that you will need to turn the receiver on and off yourself when you get in and out of the car (to save battery).
But now at least I can listen to music and use here driver+ at the same time without going nuts. No more annoying beeping sound before each navigation instruction.

The receiver also has a built in microphone. I tried a phone call and it worked fine. Cortana can also hear me okay.

Yeah my vehicle's factory radio has an Aux input and I could use it (keep a cable in the vehicle for my Zune) but it just seems kind of silly to have to connect up via that while having bluetooth turned on for handsfree phone calls. There's no reason that the phone can't handle both since it could on 8.0. Whatever changes MS made to bluetooth to support 4.0 LE have seemingly totally messed up things that worked fine before. I guess at least if I connected via the Aux input I could turn on the EQ and get some better sound out of my music, but I won't be able to use the steering wheel controls to skip tracks.

gjs520820

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Cyan with DP .1 and I agree if you are streaming music from the phone the nav instructions should use the music bluetooth connection. Although on my Alpine head-unit the nav instructions going over the hands-free connection work and are not cut-off.

If I'm not streaming music from the phone I definitely want the nav instructions to come over the hands-free, so I can listen to the radio/usb/movie and the headunit will pause the audio for the nav instructions.

It would seem best to give the user the option.

I'm guessing there may be an issue with giving Cortana instructions over the hands-free bluetooth connection and having the phone reply over the music bluetooth connection.

marknotgeorge

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm having problems with my 1020 running 8.1 update 1 DP. My car stereo is a Wharfedale ICS182, a fairly cheap car stereo. Problems are as follows:
With 'Use an alternative BT connection' ticked, Drive instructions come through, but with the first few seconds skipped. The stereo displays 'HANDSFREE'. If I untick 'Use an alternative', I get a few seconds of silence, and the stereo displays 'BT AUDIO'. If I'm streaming music from my phone at the time, the music pauses for a few seconds.

I also have a Nokia BT-214 bluetooth music headset which came with my Nokia X6 about 3 phone updates ago. This seems to work fine with Drive. This apparently supports the following BT specs:
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Headset Profile 1.2
Handsfree Profile 1.5
A2DP 1.2
AVRCP 1.0

Could it be an issue with profiles? I'll check with my father's Sony car stereo when I get the chance.

josh_zombie

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Funny how Waze & Scout can handle directions + music over Bluetooth/speakers just fine, but Here Drive+ app can't get it right. What a shame... I really like Here's GUI.

josh_zombie

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
A "solution" I found was to play my music thru the AUX input on my stereo, but still have phone connected via Bluetooth. Certainly not ideal, but I suppose it takes care of my problem for now...

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Funny how Waze & Scout can handle directions + music over Bluetooth/speakers just fine, but Here Drive+ app can't get it right. What a shame... I really like Here's GUI.

I think it's not necessarily Drive and maybe more the Cortana stuff because that is broken as well over bluetooth.

So I just got a chance to test everything again today (latest preview update and the new Drive update that just came out) and voice nav over bluetooth is STILL broken. Music cuts out and all I hear is silence still when there should be nav directions playing. I removed my phone pairing and re-paired it first too. Little things like this are slowly driving me away from WP :cry:

rickxs

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
just wanted to add ,same problem with my 2014 Kia , I just bought the Nokia Lumia 520 very disappointed in the apps for sat nav . Here+[drive] looked the only free option & it misses 2-3 secs of the direction ,some none at all , your all saying ver 8.0 worked fine pity !

senthil gnanasekhar

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I have an update. I uninstalled Here drive+ and deleted all downloaded maps and then downloaded the app again and now the issue seems to have been resolved. I no longer get the Bluetooth broken issue. I have Mazda cx5. Hope this helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria