Hi, I'm newish to WP - Considering moving to Windows Phone from Android!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The Snapdragon 800 is still a very good performer. I would recommend getting the 1520 right now for OP.

The 800 and 801 are minor differences, slightly over clocked CPU and GPU but not a huge difference.

The 805 is somewhat of a different story.

If the Snapdragon 805 is mounted onto a 2k display it has small differences from the 801 in performance however if the 805 is mounted on a 1080p display it will have massive performance improvements.

In a nutshell the only difference between 800 and 805 is that 805 was built for 2k and 4k displays in mind, the 800 and 801 weren't though they can run 2k and 4k.

Isn't it a Verizon exclusive?
Yes it is.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The OP seems to like windows products so much so let him get a windows phone. Don't you want the marketshare to increase? All I can really say is that WP is closed like iOS but it's a bit more customisable. It's basically metro on the phone and it works great. If you don't mind metro then get a windows phone.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For all those recommending the Lumia 1520.3, you are assuming the OP can pay the $$ cash for it. Since AT&T doesn't sell that version, he would have to pay full price. So I believe that he is preferring to get a discount or the Next plan to get the phone. The M8 is good phone, I have it. I like the 1520, but the size is wrong for me. I will wait for the "exclusive" to end on Verizon, and probably pick myself up the WP version. The camera in just about any WP device is better than the M8's. But the M8's camera is fine if you are not trying to replace your DSLR or plan to make poster size prints.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
While it is not a bad idea to use only one ecosystem, Microsoft is really supporting all other OS with top applications for their services. One could easily argue that many of their services are even superior on Android (OneNote and Skype at least).
And since you have a current Android flagship phone, I don't think switching could really improve your experience.

If I were you, I would keep the M8 for the next ~6 months to wait what Microsoft brings with WP 9 to the table.

onenote better on android? not really
skype yes for now but the next skype update in the next few days will change this

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
What would you guys do for an of contract phone in the interim until new flagship phones are released? Is there a good, inexpensive option?

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Get a used 920 or 820, honestly id avoid the 520 as while it gives you the WP experience, it doesn't represent the performance it can offer on such a low end device.

I'd also say wait like the others, get an inexpensive used model to give the os a try...its too different from android to suggest jumping right in if you don't know what you're getting.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! Looks like you've got plenty of advice already, but since you said you're switching to ATT, that means you won't be getting an Icon or the new HTC One M8 for Windows Phone. There's the 1520, the 1320, and now that I stop and think, that's all that I can think of on ATT at the moment, though I'm thinking the 635 may be there as well. All great phones, with the high, middle, and low ends of the spectrum represented there. It depends on how much you want to spend, really.

YeMan

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! Looks like you've got plenty of advice already, but since you said you're switching to ATT, that means you won't be getting an Icon or the new HTC One M8 for Windows Phone. There's the 1520, the 1320, and now that I stop and think, that's all that I can think of on ATT at the moment, though I'm thinking the 635 may be there as well. All great phones, with the high, middle, and low ends of the spectrum represented there. It depends on how much you want to spend, really.
the HTC one windows is coming to at&t, actually...

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

Hey! Thanks for the welcome. I ended up with a 925 for less than $150, so a win in my book. Now to figure out how to improve my battery life... It's a great phone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss