High-Pitched noise on Surface Pro 4 (Note: NOT fan related)

jude24to25

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi y'all! I recently purchased a Surface Pro 4 i5 128GB and immediately noticed that the tablet produces a weird high-pitched noise that my previous Surface Pro 3 did not emit. The noise is not easy to hear if there is a lot of ambient sound in the room; however, when I'm in a quiet room using my Surface to study, the noise is unbearable. I should note that this high-pitched noise is NOT the fan - in fact, the high-pitched noise is so annoying that I actually cause my Surface to work harder so the fans kick in so it is harder to hear the high-pitched noise. The noise is loudest above the camera sensors, along the right upper edge of the tablet (to the right of the camera), and below the charging port. The only thing that I have found that affects this high-pitched noise is adjusting the screen brightness - the sound is most quiet at 0% or 100% brightness, and progressively louder from 25% to 75% brightness.

After talking with a Microsoft tech on the phone (who was unable to resolve the issue other than ruling out a sound/speaker issue), I took the tablet in to a Microsoft Store and replaced it for a new one of the same model. However, after booting up this replacement unit, I am having the same exact issue.

I would like to ask - is anyone else having this problem? If so, what model of Surface Pro 4 are you using? Also, has anyone been able to fix the problem? Thank you for your assistance!

Last edited:

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi y'all! I recently purchased a Surface Pro 4 i5 128GB and immediately noticed that the tablet produces a weird high-pitched noise that my previous Surface Pro 3 did not emit. The noise is not easy to hear if there is a lot of ambient sound in the room; however, when I'm in a quiet room using my Surface to study, the noise is unbearable. I should note that this high-pitched noise is NOT the fan - in fact, the high-pitched noise is so annoying that I actually cause my Surface to work harder so the fans kick in so it is harder to hear the high-pitched noise. The noise is loudest above the camera sensors, along the right upper edge of the tablet (to the right of the camera), and below the charging port. The only thing that I have found that affects this high-pitched noise is adjusting the screen brightness - the sound is most quiet at 0% or 100% brightness, and progressively louder from 25% to 75% brightness.

After talking with a Microsoft tech on the phone (who was unable to resolve the issue other than ruling out a sound/speaker issue), I took the tablet in to a Microsoft Store and replaced it for a new one of the same model. However, after booting up this replacement unit, I am having the same exact issue.

I would like to ask - is anyone else having this problem? If so, what model of Surface Pro 4 are you using? Also, has anyone been able to fix the problem? Thank you for your assistance!

Is it possible only you hear it?

jude24to25

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Nope! Not possible! Someone else heard it from my Surface too! And also, other people on other forums have had the same problem. I was hoping to see if anyone on this forum has had the problem too, and what information they have.

Vivida

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
My Laptop (not a Surface product) has this issue as well. I think it has to do with the display inverter for the display. Maybe someone more tech-savy could go into more detail. I think the display inverter creates a high frequeny required for the LCD screen which also can resonate into an audible high pitch sound.

There are two problems: 1. Not everyone can here these sounds so it is not very unlikely that you will be a few of the Surface owners with this problem and 2. not every Surface product will have this problem even if it is the same model. If you can I would go into some store and try them out.

jude24to25

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
My Laptop (not a Surface product) has this issue as well. I think it has to do with the display inverter for the display. Maybe someone more tech-savy could go into more detail. I think the display inverter creates a high frequeny required for the LCD screen which also can resonate into an audible high pitch sound.

There are two problems: 1. Not everyone can here these sounds so it is not very unlikely that you will be a few of the Surface owners with this problem and 2. not every Surface product will have this problem even if it is the same model. If you can I would go into some store and try them out.

Thank you for the info, Vivida! Do you know whether there is every any type of work-around for this?

I am very curious to see whether, for example, the lower or higher versions of Surface Pro 4 would also have the same issue, so I will have to take a look when I go into the Microsoft Store.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the info, Vivida! Do you know whether there is every any type of work-around for this?

I am very curious to see whether, for example, the lower or higher versions of Surface Pro 4 would also have the same issue, so I will have to take a look when I go into the Microsoft Store.

That's what I was getting at , I used to be able to hear electricity flowing in autonomic doors over 30 years ago...most probably don't hear what you hear...no rock concerts eh?

jude24to25

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
That's what I was getting at , I used to be able to hear electricity flowing in autonomic doors over 30 years ago...most probably don't hear what you hear...no rock concerts eh?

Haha, I also wondered whether this noise is from my ears too! Actually, I use to go to rock concerts and play music myself, so I have a little bit of tinnitus. But I think that is what is making this high-pitched sound from my SP4 even more annoying/infuriating - it's adding even MORE high-pitched sounds to what I'm hearing! LOL But nah, I know the sound isn't from my ears because it gets louder as I get closer to the SP4, and I'm able to change the intensity by changing the brightness.

fastcarve

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I can't offer any insight here. I'm just chiming in to say that going to the Microsoft Store to listen to other devices might not help. I went to a local store to check out the SP4 and SB last month, and there was so much noise (from mall traffic) that I wouldn't have heard the fan running at full speed.

jude24to25

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I can't offer any insight here. I'm just chiming in to say that going to the Microsoft Store to listen to other devices might not help. I went to a local store to check out the SP4 and SB last month, and there was so much noise (from mall traffic) that I wouldn't have heard the fan running at full speed.

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. :-( I'm hoping that there will be some way to check on the sound, but yeah, I'm not sure whether it'll be too loud. I'm hoping that one of the reps will let me take a device into a quiet room to listen for it. Either way, going to a store is the next step for dealing with my current hardware since I already spoke with a tech on the phone. I have to do this all within a 60 day window so I can return the device if something doesn't get figured out. I really hope i don't have to ditch the device over such an issue, because the hardware is awesome. It's just that I can't use this thing in a quiet room for work/study without it hurting my ears :-(

Grady West

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
Is it possible only you hear it?

Go to the "Surface" program and register the device. Use the diagnostic tools after registration to load all updates needed (Windows updates found at startup alone won't correct the device). After all of the restarts my new device is now quiet. At least this has worked for me over the following hours of use. Good Luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria