How can I add a command line switch to a shortcut in the Start menu?

nomagnolia

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Adding a command line switch to a shortcut in the Start menu

I use Adobe After Effects, which I often need to run multiple copies of using the -m switch. Windows 7 let me modify the shortcut in the start menu so it'd start with this switch, which if AE is already running means it'll launch a new instance of it, rather than switching to the instance I've already got open. However, in Win10 I can't find any way to do this - it has the same behaviour that launching AE from the task bar in Win7 did, ie it just switches to the already open instance. Is there a way to add the switch I need?

Just dragged it onto the desktop as a shortcut, and interestingly there's no option to add the switch there either (in Properties)... :O

EDIT: I can create a shortcut with the switch in Program Files (or presumably elsewhere on the C drive), but right-clicking and choosing "Pin to Start" seems to remove that switch. It opens a second copy when I launch the shortcut from Program Files, but not from Start.

Hopefully it's a bug MS will fix soon!

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Adding a command line switch to a shortcut in the Start menu

if you can provide/paste in the exact folder location of your after effects.exe main file for me (eg, c:\program files\adobe\etc\version\etc\afterfx.exe), then i can make you a working shortcut file, with some instructions on how to pin it to your start menu :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb