How Do I Disable Write Protection on My microSD Card?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Good morning,
I have a 32GB Sandisk microSD card that I've been using with my Lumia 830 to store my music and my photos. I haven't had any issues with it before but I need to wipe all the music off of it so I can move my new "updated" collection on to it (it's the same music plus new, better metadata and a couple thousand more songs). However, the card has suddenly been write-protected without any feedback from me. Not only is it write protected, but Windows won't let me enable write caching in the device settings. This makes me think there's another security feature at play here (maybe device encryption?) but I don't know what it is or how to counteract it. I'd appreciate some help here as this is beyond my rather limited expertise.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Good morning,
I have a 32GB Sandisk microSD card that I've been using with my Lumia 830 to store my music and my photos. I haven't had any issues with it before but I need to wipe all the music off of it so I can move my new "updated" collection on to it (it's the same music plus new, better metadata and a couple thousand more songs). However, the card has suddenly been write-protected without any feedback from me. Not only is it write protected, but Windows won't let me enable write caching in the device settings. This makes me think there's another security feature at play here (maybe device encryption?) but I don't know what it is or how to counteract it. I'd appreciate some help here as this is beyond my rather limited expertise.

I have solved my own query. It would appear that the device encryption also encrypted the microSD card, preventing me from doing anything but simply seeing the files that were kept on it. After some experimentation I discovered that I was fully capable of formatting the microSD card through the phone, just not through my computer (as I was trying to do originally). Then I could sync my files, as long as the microSD card was inserted into my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria