How do I get my cursor back in Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WPCentral Question

how do i get my cursor back in windows 10

changed to window 10 yesterday from window 8.1

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
re:

If you're using a laptop, then you most probably experienced what some users experienced after the upgrade - the uninstallation of the touchpad driver such that the touchpad won't respond to your touch and, consequently since there is no touch input, the cursor is automatically hidden.

If you have a USB mouse, you may want to try connecting that to your PC and see if that brings the cursor back. Then, you may proceed in downloading and/or reinstalling the driver for your touchpad.

Should you wish to provide further details or ask additional questions, you're welcome to create a Windows Central account and to respond in this thread.

Allen Bartel

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
re:

Your answer to my question was not helpful. What is the easiest way to get my cursor back after the upgrade to windows 10 from 8.1. I have an ASUS tablet/laptop that is about 6 months old. Your answer is only good for someone who totally understands computer language. I have no mouse to plug in as I use the touch pad and touch screen. If this is going to be how things are going to work from this point forward, I want my windows 8.1 back. I can get around a computer fairly well, but when it comes to installing drivers and uninstalling and reinstalling things, it just doesn't work. I bought a new computer as I did an upgrade on windows vista on my old laptop and it knocked the print driver out and could not reinstall even with the HP patch that was said to work. My old printer works with my new computer. It is just all messed up, but still your answer was of little help and value.
My question is why would the cursor get knocked out with the upgrade, but the screen pad component still works. If it weren't for the touch pad to get to different screens, I would be totally shut down. What do people do that have just a regular laptop without the touch screen feature? This is major down fall to this upgrade, if one can call it an upgrade. If this is going to knock everyone's cursor out with the upgrade, what is the point of getting a windows driven computer. Maybe next time it will be an Apple product.
Allen D Bartel.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
re:

Perhaps if the original post contained the 99 words that were typed in your response instead of just 18 (eight + ten from the title) such that the details can be read easily the first time, it would be easier for us as well (and the other readers) to provide more useful and valuable assistance to you. Who would have deduced from those 18 words that you didn't have a mouse, that it is an ASUS laptop with touch screen capabilities and that you had certain computer-related limitations?

Here's a video (not made by me) that was posted as a solution in the Microsoft Answers Forums. But since you "have no mouse to plug in", you could use your touch screen in the meantime to access the settings the guy was talking about in his video.

Whether this works or not for you, I don't know - I never lost my cursor (as well as those I personally know), but for some users it appears that the method in the video has worked.

Nonetheless, welcome to Windows Central.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

Welcome to the board, Allen.

Just to be clear, this is a fan based News and Discussion site. It seems you might have an impression that we are staff at a Microsoft run support site. That is not the case here.

You seem to be asking (in the second post) for technical reasons we can not supply as we are not the software engineers who designed and scripted the upgrade process or the Windows 10 OS.

I will say that there are so very many possible configurations of hardware out there (truly an astounding number) and Windows does it's best to autoload as many drivers as it can... However, most drivers actually need to be written by the hardware OEM. Windows bundles the most common in the OS and attempts to find others online.

I have a brand new Dell laptop, The day after Windows 10 became available, the Dell support site had no less than a dozen new driver packages waiting for me. They did not publish until after 10 hit and I had upgraded.

Windows 10 represents a major sea change in the OS. As such, it sometimes takes a bit of patience getting it configured for your system which (due to the multitudinous variables involved) may as well be considered a One in a Million set up.

Hopefully, with your additional input, gpobernardo has found you a solution. He's a very knowledgeable and helpful volunteer. And if this issue persists, or should another arise, many other volunteers in this community will peek in and make attempts to help.

In the end, that's what this board is. Community members helping each other.

Great good luck to you. I hope your issue gets resolved speedily.

6ft5

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Re:

I got the same problem, googled for a solution and found this site. Thanks for friendly help and a good video. Borrowed neighbors mouse and everything is working again. In total 10 minutes time. Yay for friendly and smart online communities such as this!

hussinht

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I am using ASUS Transformer Book laptop which uses touch screen with electronic keyboard when the monitor panel is detached from the physical keyboard & the cursor touch pad. When the monitor panel is re-attached to the physical keyboard, the cursor touch pad should automatically be re-activated into operation together with the physical keyboard. But it did NOT happen this time. I am not sure what I might have done to cause this failure whereby I now cannot use both the physical keyboard and the cursor touch pad which are now rendered inoperative.
PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

mzheiden

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I have an ASUS 2in1 laptop and upgraded to Win 10 and have same issue with keyboard and mouse/touchpad not working. When I restart computer it will work for 10-15 seconds then not at all (I am not in tablet mode). I tried video but I do not have ELAN tab so not sure how to resolve, any help is appreciated.

LunaL0v3

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
The answer makes perfect sense to me. I have had Windows 10 on my work computer for over 6 months. That one has issues with accessing the start and search bar. It does not respond to the mouse and once it does it is very delayed. I am not sure if this is Cortana firing up, not like I use it!!! I've searched for solutions and can't find anything to repair it for good. I just deal with it and find what I need through other avenues. ctrl+alt+dlt much?

Now after returning two crappy ASUS laptops I have a Lenovo Yoga 2. I like it well enough. It did only comes with 8.1 so I did the upgrade to 10 right away. So far this cursor thing is the only issue. For me it randomly disappears, but it also reappears at some point in the next 20 seconds. So it makes sense that the issue for mine is that the touchpad is in sleep mode. I will say, the Lenovo touchpads are bizarre.

Ashley H2

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Re:

First step is always to restart your computer. You can do this by hitting ctrl+alt+delete and hit the power button and click restart. This works if you have a touchscreen.

If you don't, try holding the power button and home button for 8-10 seconds. Just be careful as anything pulled up on your computer that isn't saved can be deleted by doing this.

Crystal Wilson1

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
Hello. my name is crystal
Two days ago, i used my laptop and everything seemed fine. the following day when i went on it again i couldn't find the cursor it just disappeared. and it also seems as though the touch pad isn't working as well. just in case you're wondering, it did not fall at anytime.
yes i tried using the Fn +F9 functions but that didn't help either. i even restarted the device a number of times and that still didn't help to resolve it either.
do you have any other options for me?please i would really like your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel