How do I get Windows to stop downloading updates during metered times?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

how to get windows to stop downloading updates during metered times

my internet connection is from satellite i have unmetered time between 12 am and 6 am but windows keeps downloading during day time when i am being charged for it . this is 8th of month and already used twenty per cent of my data allowance mostly from updates downloading last few days . also auto install says it has set time at 3 am tomorrow to install updates but has not done it for the last few days.isn't there any way to set windows manually for off metered times

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: how to get windows to stop downloading updates during metered times

isn't there any way to set windows manually for off metered times

I believe in network settings you can set your connection to Metered.

@Xandros9: Yes, it can be set to Metered or non-metered like that, however, it wasn't the question. ;)

There is no way to schedule times for when a connection is metered or non-metered. You can only set a connection as metered all the time or non-metered all the time. I know that isn't much help. I do recommend that you use the Windows Feedback app and make the suggestion to Microsoft, because that is definitely something that needs to be considered. For some reason, Microsoft assumes everyone has unlimited Internet or a metered cellular connection, and they are unable to distinguish anything different.

I would say to keep your connection metered, and switch to non-metered manually, but there is no reason to stay up and lose sleep over it.

What we need is a utility that will change Windows settings like this on a time schedule. I do some research and let you know if I'm able to come up with anything.

EDIT: Okay, found THIS on the internet, and it shows how to use the command line to set metered/non-metered. That's a starting point, because there are programs out there that will allow you to "schedule" a batch file, and you'll just need to set up scheduled command line batch files to get it to work.

EDIT Again: Check out this article to see how to schedule that batch fie to run. Awesome stuff.

Make sure you check "Run with highest privileges" on the General tab of the task scheduler so that it will run an elevated command prompt, else it won't work.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs