How do I remove Cortana from my phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WPCentral Question

remove cortana from phone

Was happy with windows phone but it is rubbish with Cortana, how do I get rid of it?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: remove cortana from phone

Was happy with windows phone but it is rubbish with Cortana, how do I get rid of it?

Just go to your phone Settings > swipe over to Applications > Cortana, then tap on the On/Off toggle Switch. This will remove Cortana from your phone... or bring "her" back when you decide to in a future point in time.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like your experience with Cortana, but you may still want to create a Windows Central account in order to track responses to your query easily.:cool:

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I have seen a first person who dont like cortana......many of my friends are android and iphone users but they liked cortana in first impression because its new but has many useful features....
Sorry to hear that

Bearair2014

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site

Ok, created account, not looking to turn it off want it removed from phone as it was when I bought it, not interested in it . Phone is a Nokia 630 it was updated by windows and now I cannot remove the dreadful Cortana gimmick from phone.

Erwin0723

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

you need to watch the videos about people experience with cortana in youtube,sure..it will be change your mind about cortana.. But yeah,different people have a have different thoughts.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, created account, not looking to turn it off want it removed from phone as it was when I bought it, not interested in it . Phone is a Nokia 630 it was updated by windows and now I cannot remove the dreadful Cortana gimmick from phone.
You cant do that unless you change your region into unsupported country. Its fine anyway, you cant remove google now from an android and you cant remove siri from ios either. Just don't touch the app if you don't want to use it. Bing will appear when you use the search button like when you bought your phone anyway

Bearair2014

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site

Thanks, pity I was really happy with Windows phone found it much easier to use than Android. If I get another 630 without it on can I stop it being updated or is there a Windows 8.1 phone without Cortana on it please?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, pity I was really happy with Windows phone found it much easier to use than Android. If I get another 630 without it on can I stop it being updated or is there a Windows 8.1 phone without Cortana on it please?

You can stop the update by unchecking the automatically check for updates option. At least the update does give you extra quick toggle options for the mobile data and battery saver. It also improves internet explorer too. But I really recommend you give Cortana a chance.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

This has got to be the strangest post I've ever read. How does the existence of Cortana on your phone change, in any way, the way your phone performs? If you don't use Cortana, you'll never know it's there. I have an iPhone. I think Siri is subpar, but it doesn't ruin the overall experience. I just don't hold the home button down. Problem solved!

Bearair2014

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site

This has got to be the strangest post I've ever read. How does the existence of Cortana on your phone change, in any way, the way your phone performs? If you don't use Cortana, you'll never know it's there. I have an iPhone. I think Siri is subpar, but it doesn't ruin the overall experience. I just don't hold the home button down. Problem solved!

Since Cortana has been on the phone it no longer speaks voice texts on the car interface, I constantly get asked to use location services which I will never turn on. It could well be that Cortana is not the problem and it was the update, but I am not really interested in mucking around with mobiles, I want my phone back working the way it was when I bought it, with the same features I originally had nothing more nothing less.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

That's strange. What OS version number and Firmware Revision number do you have? I could easily turn Cortana off/on in my L535 with the latest Denim update, as mentioned in my previous post.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Since Cortana has been on the phone it no longer speaks voice texts on the car interface, I constantly get asked to use location services which I will never turn on. It could well be that Cortana is not the problem and it was the update, but I am not really interested in mucking around with mobiles, I want my phone back working the way it was when I bought it, with the same features I originally had nothing more nothing less.

You are right. Reading incoming texts via bluetooth is one of the most useful features of Windows Phone (a feature that iPhone is sorely lacking). As far as I know, this isn't a Cortana-specific feature. You can enable this by going into Settings > Speech > Set 'Read aloud incoming text messages' to 'Bluetooth only'. I don't think you need Cortana for this to work - but again, even if you had Cortana enabled on your phone, you don't need to use this service. You would never know it was there.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Have you turned Cortana off and tried again?

Bearair2014

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Folks, I have managed to swap my 630 with another persons who does not have Cortina on it, and everything is working again. Have made sure it will not do the update again. Thanks for all the help.

eroselim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Sorry about this but dont be so dumb. You can only activate cortana when YOU tap the ICON, or YOU hold the search button. Other than that you cant activate it, you can though with other phones that support hey cortana'. So if you dont like the feature just tap the search button and it will let you input what you want t search and it will automatically search using Bing. Easy as pie.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry about this but dont be so dumb. You can only activate cortana when YOU tap the ICON, or YOU hold the search button. Other than that you cant activate it, you can though with other phones that support hey cortana'. So if you dont like the feature just tap the search button and it will let you input what you want t search and it will automatically search using Bing. Easy as pie.
They just didn't want Cortana on the phone at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo