How do you automatically activate Mobile hotspot via Bluetooth connection on Windows 10 Mobile?

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I just learned that this is even remotely possible, so I would like to make it work. I'm on a Lumia 950XL (not Insider) and would love for the Mobile hotspot to automatically turn on when my phone connects to my car via Bluetooth. I want it to turn on because I have an iPod Touch in the car (that is always connected via USB to the car) for music playback. I would like that iPod Touch to be able to stream Spotify and use my 950XL's hotspot for the Internet connection. Is this possible?

- My car does not have Bluetooth music streaming, so this is why I have to depend on the iPod because my car does have iPod integration (ugh)

Kubiac6666

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
It works only with Windows 10 and your Lumia 950. First both devices have to be paired via Bluetooth so they know each other.
After that your PC, notebook out tablet sees your Lumia as available Wi-Fi . When you click on it, the hotspot is activated automatically via Bluetooth.

Sent from mTalk

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
It works only with Windows 10 and your Lumia 950. First both devices have to be paired via Bluetooth so they know each other.
After that your PC, notebook out tablet sees your Lumia as available Wi-Fi . When you click on it, the hotspot is activated automatically via Bluetooth.

Sent from mTalk

Wow, no way. That's a bummer. So this feature is strictly between Windows 10 devices?

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
This has been available on Windows Phones since the black update, 2014, to Windows 8 phones.
Bluetooth actually broadcasts the WiFi name of the phone

I think you think we're talking about creating a hotspot via Bluetooth (and not Wi-Fi)? But I was asking if the following was possible:

- Set up Windows 10 Mobile so that when it connects via Bluetooth to a specific device in Bluetooth paired items list, Windows Mobile automatically turns on Mobile hotspot, so that:
[1] Get in my car. Turn on car. My car's Bluetooth "My Car" connection starts to look for a phone.
[2] My Lumia 950XL sees "My Car" and connects to it (as it always does now, for calls/texts).
[3] Windows Mobile, seeing it is connected to "My Car" Bluetooth device, is prompted to turn on Mobile hotspot.
[4] Mobile hotspot turns on.
[5] Android device (secondary phone I carry) automatically connects to Wi-Fi hotspot and now has Internet connection.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
it is possible to do it if you can find an app that enables/turns on the wifi hotspot. assuming your phone is a lumia then you should have the gadgets app, from there you can find the cars Bluetooth and set the wifi hotspot app to open when your lumia connects to your car via bluetooth.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
it is possible to do it if you can find an app that enables/turns on the wifi hotspot. assuming your phone is a lumia then you should have the gadgets app, from there you can find the cars Bluetooth and set the wifi hotspot app to open when your lumia connects to your car via bluetooth.

man gadgets app should get access to actions too then we're all set!

I thought there was a "situations" type app talked about before... maybe only for windows 8.1 though which didn't have mobile hotspot

Also not sure if there's NFC tagger than can launch the action mobile hotspot.

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Exactly what I would want it to do. Sadly, as @hacer619 pointed out, Gadgets app can't activate Mobile Hotspot...can't even launch into the settings section for it (I don't see it listed in apps list it has you choose from). I'll see if there are other apps in the Store that could do this, but considering the Windows Mobile app situation, not going to hold my breath *sigh*

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Can't seem to find an app in the Store :( @anthonyng

I think Android just recently implemented something to make this scenario possible, so hopefully that inspires the Windows Mobile team to follow suit. I have a feeling that as more devices in the car require Internet connectivity, there will be a greater need to automatic toggling of hotspots/tethering when connecting to a specific Bluetooth device (e.g. a car).

There's something at the bottom of Mobile hotspot settings that is very vague and I can't find any proper Microsoft documentation on the setting, but it sounds like what I need...though it might be what the first answer in the thread was talking about only being between Windows 10 devices. If so, fine, but Microsoft should at least offer some guidance as to how it works. See below:
wp_ss_20170222_0003.jpg

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@albertico that option is for when I use my SP3 to initiate hotspot connection, it will turn on my mobile hotspot on the phone and connect to it.

Yea lots of other toggles that existed in windows 8.1 are still working for windows 10, maybe the mobile hotspot toggle behaves different, but even then... if the mobile hotspot setting page could be launched that be great.

There's an NFC writer app: NFC Kits that can launch apps you want by APP ID... but not sure if there is an app id for Mobile Hotspot.. but yea, not ***** friendly lol.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Can't seem to find an app in the Store :( @anthonyng

I think Android just recently implemented something to make this scenario possible, so hopefully that inspires the Windows Mobile team to follow suit. I have a feeling that as more devices in the car require Internet connectivity, there will be a greater need to automatic toggling of hotspots/tethering when connecting to a specific Bluetooth device (e.g. a car).

There's something at the bottom of Mobile hotspot settings that is very vague and I can't find any proper Microsoft documentation on the setting, but it sounds like what I need...though it might be what the first answer in the thread was talking about only being between Windows 10 devices. If so, fine, but Microsoft should at least offer some guidance as to how it works. See below:
View attachment 134050

The android device, finds WiFi hotspot from phone, connect, android device connected to internet
This is what turn on remotely is. Bluetooth on, both devices, connect from the android, phone turns on hotspot and android connects. Don't have to touch the Win phone. You will have to enter the Wi-Fi password the first time.
Not just between Win 10 devices.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Big picture. You use the a phone, you want to connect to wifi, you view available wifi networks, You tap the one you want to connect to.
Does your fitbit have wifi?? no, then it can not turn on phone hotspot.
It is NOT a BT connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb