How do you use your Surface, as a Laptop or a Tablet?

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using the original Surface Pro i5 and I used it mostly as laptop or 75-80 percent of the time, when I was in school. Since then, it's been the opposite. So, I guess it just depends on the need that take precedence at the time. I use it mostly for gaming, browsing and watching videos. I will occasionally read some PDFs, but I just recently acquired an 8.9" Android tablet that works a bit better, when it comes to portability.

ogr8

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
90% as a desktop, connected to the dock. The dock is connected to monitor & mouse, but I use a bluetooth keyboard.
The dock is great, because just one connector and it is a tablet, with all my data and programs. No need to have two computers with every app installed and configured to have desktop and laptop/tablet.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
100% as a laptop. I do not use my actual laptop much anymore because I can do everything that I need on the SP4. Since I rarely use the tablet mode, I do not understand what the advantages would be using that mode over the laptop mode.

Asbmor

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
At work its a desktop, at home its a tablet with kickstand. Laptop is only when working on the go, and thats almost never. So lets say 70% desktop, 28% tablet and 2% laptop.

Asbmor

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Yes. I love the way you thing. If Microsoft want the SB to be a ultimate device they need to include the kick-stand. The idea of the SB being a Surface Pro with performance base is the way it should be. I think they could easly combined the Pro and the Book with this thinking.

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Mine = 90% Work desktop, 5% Laptop on planes, 5% Tablet doing floorplan markups. As desktop I put it in a docking station and remote into it with RDP from home desktop with large monitor.

Wife = 100% Work desktop in docking station to large monitor.
Niece = 75% Art tablet. She's a high school student and artistically talented.
Son's Girlfriend = 95% gaming tablet. I bought it for her. I wasted my money.

erfansvsh

May 24, 2017
Visit site
Re: How do you use yourI really like to use my Surface Pro 4 as a Surface, as a Laptop or a Tablet?

I really like to use my Surface Pro 4 as a tablet. But you know, I use it as a PC more than a tablet. I believe that Surface RT, Surface 2 and Surface 3 are tablets, not Surface Pro devices. There's some reasons for that:

1- Surface Pro 4 is much bigger than a tablet in screen size. So I feel more comfortable with Surface 3 screen size.

2- Surface Pro is heavy at 780gr.

3- And the most important is I type with it more than I type with every other device. So tablet mode is not suitable for my usage.

4- Still softwares are not compatible with touch gestures. Such as Photoshop, 3Ds MAX and other... which I work with most of the time.

5- Generally "Tablet", doesn't have mobility like a Phone.

But after all, still I think an I believe that Surface Pro surly is better than every iPad or Android tablet. Because they're only big screen mobile phones. Beside that, Surface 3 is the best if you seek for a real tablet, not Surface Pro.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Do you put on your keyboard and use it as a Lapp or leave it off and use it as a Tablet?

I use mine 90% as a Tablet 10% as a Lapp.y.

Personally I'd say 70% tablet, as I do quite a lot of reading and browsing or Netflix by the evening. And then I write some things on the move, some emails, so 90% as a laptop.

Lepoete

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I don't have a Surface Pro but on similar devices I use maybe 50/50 laptop/tablet. I don't think I'd use the Surface Pro that much as a tablet as 12" is way too big for tablet use. I prefer 10" for tablet use.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm a pretty even split. 2 in 1 is working great for me. My wife uses hers as 98% laptop. Might try to talk her into letting me get her a Surface laptop.