How does it play your own media? XVID, MP3, MKV?

fuzzed1

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have been wondering about this since the announcement and I have not seen anything one it. How does it play video files (mp4, xvid, mkv formats) and music (mp3) that are stored on other computers or media servers and I guess now sky drive?

With the 360 you use the media player from Xbox button on the controller. How does this work on the Xbox One? This is my main use so if it doesn't have it I will have to wait to get an Xbox One. Can anyone point me to any videos showing this off?

I read the following from Paul Thurrott http://winsupersite.com/xbox/xbox-one-xbox-video and I'm worried.
The inability to play your own media, either on attached USB devices or over the home network. Maybe that comes in a future update.

Thanks for the information.

Gareth Walton

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
If your referering to DNLA support it has yet to actually have it's own client but it can detect and recieve the signal.

I have Serviio DNLA server running over my network running off my NAS box and basically what I did was downloaded a nice little DNLA client to my android phone or tablet called Skifta which is probably available for Iphone aswell but I'm unsure. Anyway Skifta connects to my NAS "Serviio" and lists my films etc then (Heres the clever bit) allows you to choose the Player (i.e your phone OR anything it detects over your network) and it detected my Xbox One over the network and allowed me to play anything to it.

Worked a treat.

Serviio and Skifta are just one way and I'm sure other clients will have the ability to "send" to your box a bit like "Wifi Direct" I think or like when you send your photos or videos to your tv from your phone.. same thing basically.

Hope that helps

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I haven't found any way to stream my movies to my Xbox One yet. I can go onto my Win8 PC, select music, pictures or videos and in Windows Media Player and then use the "Play To" feature to do DNLA to my One. But I haven't found any way within the Xbox One itself to recognize my media library (except a few music playlists). I also am running Plex Media Server by the way and still nothing that I can find to get around this.

Hopefully native support comes later.

fuzzed1

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the updates.. this is what I was afraid of. I will have to wait or just make a Win8 Media PC for my living room. I really don't like having to push content to the machine that means I need my tablet or computer near by. I like putting a playlist up and picking it from Xbox. I hope they bring this back. I do have Xbox Music but it only matched 1/3 my collection in the cloud.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I actually prefer the DLNA solution to a browse my content via the xbox solution. When i have parties now i can just start a playlist on my computer, have my Music folder open and people can just drag and drop what music they want into it. I just wish it displayed something other then the title of the song.

I thought i remember hearing xbox music radio wouldnt require an xbox music pass, and would be ad supported. I guess this isnt the case. Hell if im paying $100 a year to use basically pandora on my xbox.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the updates.. this is what I was afraid of. I will have to wait or just make a Win8 Media PC for my living room. I really don't like having to push content to the machine that means I need my tablet or computer near by. I like putting a playlist up and picking it from Xbox. I hope they bring this back. I do have Xbox Music but it only matched 1/3 my collection in the cloud.

Yup I agree. Luckily for me my TV integrates with my Plex server so I can stream directly to it. Otherwise I would be SOL with the Xbox One missing that feature. Also confused how the One decides which playlists to sync over. My fav playlist refuses to sync over no matter what I do. Pretty annoyed. Also annoyed how I can stream music then hit "back" or "home" without the music stopping. Missing the ability to play music in the background while playing my fav games.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So pushing content from a DLNA server or Play To on your laptop only works with certain file types. I've been able to play MP4s and AVI file types. MKV doesn't work. Basically has to be an Xbox Video compatible file type. I open the movie in Xbox Video on my laptop, and then under the charms bar click devices and play to -> xbox. If there is a way of streaming non-xbox video compatible files like mkv, then I'm all ears. I haven't figured it out yet.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
All my movies and music are on my SkyDrive. I just added the SkyDrive folders that I needed to the favorites on my OneGuide...,badda bing, badda boom

Gareth Walton

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
MKV files work for me on my Xbox One so they should work for you.. Maybe the program your using to "push/play to" has to have the codec present to work? I'm using Skifta on a phone that supports mkv (samsung) to send my films over.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I used Handbrake to convert all my movies to m4v files using the AppleTV2 preset. They all stream like a charm and look very good considering the encoding

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
MKV files work for me on my Xbox One so they should work for you.. Maybe the program your using to "push/play to" has to have the codec present to work? I'm using Skifta on a phone that supports mkv (samsung) to send my films over.

Any idea if there are any apps on Windows 8 that can do the same? I don't have an android device

Gareth Walton

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
AFAIK Windows * has the option or abilty to do the job without an app. I've not the time right now to investigate as I'm on my way out but a quick google found me this link

I'd be interested in getting this working myself so will look more into it when I get time.

dbdmora

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
It really sucks that Xbox One does not have native support to browse your windows 8 WMP to watch your movies. I did use Linada App (thanks RobC46) and I can add files to playlist and play them on Xbox one. It is a little slow to load but at least it works for all my media files including mkv

now I am looking for an IOS app that does the same for my wife's iPhone and iPad.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa