how does taking back onedrive Groove Space make sense?

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The reason they gave us onedrive space when we started using Groove was to use our own music from the cloud. So if they are taking the storage away, it really has nothing to do with their streaming service. So does this mean they are going to kill the whole thing and we are going to lose Groove for cloud music also? Great.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I agree it doesn't make sense given the vast storage MS has available, how cheap it is, and especially b/c streaming from OneDrive is the only feature that differentiates Groove from the myriad of options for local music. Seems like letting subscribers keep the 100 GB in perpetuity would be a nice gesture for loyalists who have invested in the ecosystem and are finding it more and more difficult to stay.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree it doesn't make sense given the vast storage MS has available, how cheap it is, and especially b/c streaming from OneDrive is the only feature that differentiates Groove from the myriad of options for local music. Seems like letting subscribers keep the 100 GB in perpetuity would be a nice gesture for loyalists who have invested in the ecosystem and are finding it more and more difficult to stay.

Yep. Feel like Nutella is using this as one more way of trying to prove he can make a nickel on his cloud science experiment.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Yep. Feel like Nutella is using this as one more way of trying to prove he can make a nickel on his cloud science experiment.

He's making more than a nickel, that's for sure, but your point is well taken. I've been looking into Azure for some business hosting and they nickel-and-dime you for everything. If you go with standard managed disks for a VM, they charge for IOPS, $0.0005 per 10,000 transactions. Any type of operation against the storage is counted as a transaction, including reads, writes and deletes. While it's not going to add tremendously to the price in the grand scheme of things (different story for the compute resources...), it shows how far MS has gone to monetize things to the proverbial molecular level.