how long does your battery lasts?

davy78

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I wasnt planning to set my phone to edge today, but i had edge from 7h to 15h, and was surpised bu the battery. The difference in power consumption between edge or 3d is indeed huge. On my previous device (android) this was fixable using an app called "juice defender" which worked like charm. On WP we dont have that, and its impossible to write an app like juice defender, so instead i posted a suggestion to the idea box:

Separate "highest connection speed" for standby and unlocked. – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

This will allow users to mimick the behavior of "Juice defender" on android and will give an impressive battery boost to all WP devices, since 3G uses alot more power than EDGE (especially on devices such as the Lumia 925)

It also makes sense: you want the speed when browsing, and while using apps, but it does not matter that much when syncing mails or updating live tiles.

It cant be more than a couple of lines of code ...

So if you have some votes to spare ... ;)

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I wasnt planning to set my phone to edge today, but i had edge from 7h to 15h, and was surpised bu the battery. The difference in power consumption between edge or 3d is indeed huge. On my previous device (android) this was fixable using an app called "juice defender" which worked like charm. On WP we dont have that, and its impossible to write an app like juice defender, so instead i posted a suggestion to the idea box:

Separate "highest connection speed" for standby and unlocked. ?€“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

This will allow users to mimick the behavior of "Juice defender" on android and will give an impressive battery boost to all WP devices, since 3G uses alot more power than EDGE (especially on devices such as the Lumia 925)

It also makes sense: you want the speed when browsing, and while using apps, but it does not matter that much when syncing mails or updating live tiles.

It cant be more than a couple of lines of code ...

So if you have some votes to spare ... ;)

this looks like a good idea.. BUT
i made a few tries and with my italian operator when i switch max connection speed from 3G to 2G i lose the connection to my carrier, forcing phone to reset it and cut all the current connections.
i don't know if it happen for all users but it can be pretty annoying!
I think the real problem is somewhere else.. with my old lumia 720 (2000mah battery too) i can do 2 days of use with one charge and moderate use. I have a lumia 925 from some days and it's hard to get at the end of the day. I'm still making some more concrete stats using "Battery sense" (i love that app) but its hard to get an accurate battery behaviour :( just this morning it lost in 1 minute 11% battery (while in standby) and after 3 hours its still there, without any other battery loss and very light use. Still investigating!

edit: and i think your suggestion will need some more than "a couple" line of codes :( you must define exatly "when" reduce speed to 2G. Ok, you say when phone its in standby, but if phone is in standby and an app is downloading something? Or when your non-offline navigation software is downloading new area maps? You must find a way to define when an app still need huge bandwith use when in background! You can give developers this possibility but this mean new API and new implementation for all existing app that may need that. Or you can try to implement an "euristic algorithm" to "guess" when you can reduce to 2G without any repercussion to any app, but this mean you must run this check lot of times while phone is in standby and so itwill consume more battery.. well, probably there are even other approach to the problem but its not "that immediate" to implement, debug and release :(

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriend battery last more than 2 days. I can see that she take it from charger today 8am and then after mild usage of calls and text and few what's app it is now with 76% left . This makes me jealous over her phone as my replaced 1020 lasting only one day .

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up my 925 a week ago. Battery is about 50% as good as my 810.

It's pretty disappointing. And even more so because charging in the car is difficult if I want to plug in audio. Proximity of those two wires distorts sound.

Was down to 30% today st 2pm after taking it off charger st 8am. Hopefully battery life improves with use because this could be a problem as my job situation changes.

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up my 925 a week ago. Battery is about 50% as good as my 810.

It's pretty disappointing. And even more so because charging in the car is difficult if I want to plug in audio. Proximity of those two wires distorts sound.

Was down to 30% today st 2pm after taking it off charger st 8am. Hopefully battery life improves with use because this could be a problem as my job situation changes.

i had your same problem, my battery life magically improved with a simple soft-reset! now in standby i lose 1% every 1 or 2 hours with 3G and Wi-Fi on always on :)

davy78

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
edit: and i think your suggestion will need some more than "a couple" line of codes :( you must define exatly "when" reduce speed to 2G.

Complex rules results in complex code. If you keep the rules basic the code will be basic and less errorprone. Phone locked: lock-speed, phone unlocked: unlock-speed. Most background processes download tiny bits of data. Some are heavier and download images etc ... but that shouldnt be a problem.

A connection only appears slow when you're actually waiting for the response :)

In the meanwhile, im getting a full day on my battery. Not sure why, but i did set my connection explicitly to 3G, although i dont recall what was the default. Could i be that i had 4G selected by default?

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Last night I went to sleep at 12. Turned off all background tasks. Put phone in airplane mode. Battery at 55%.

Woke up at 6am. Phone completely drained.

kaykay84

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I have Lumia 925 for a about a week now. I am bit worried now.

In background apps i just have whatsapp, evernote and battery app active rest all are blocked

Wifi is always on.
BT is off
NFC off
Locations off
Glance off

Continues use of whatsapp for an hour or so the battery easily drains 20%. My battery lasts about 5-6 hours and occasionally 7 or 8 hours. The standby time is good, it hardly uses 1% an hour.

In this 1 week - my battery died twice and i generally put it to full charge when it touches 10% or so. It takes less than 2 hours to charge.

I am in India. I got my phone from USA ATT. We use 3G here (NO 4G). But my phone shows as 4G. not sure if it is trying to find 4G signals here. Do you guys think this is using up my battery? If yes, is there any option to turn off 4G and use 3G instead?

Do you guys think my battery backup will increase?

Last edited:

Armin Mhd

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I charge my 925 3 times a day and only 4 apps in background. But i surf web and text alot. You can say only 2 3 hours of heavy use, its shameful and i may consider another phone

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have Lumia 925 for a about a week now. I am bit worried now.

In background apps i just have whatsapp, evernote and battery app active rest all are blocked

Wifi is always on.
BT is off
NFC off
Locations off
Glance off

Continues use of whatsapp for an hour or so the battery easily drains 20%. My battery lasts about 5-6 hours and occasionally 7 or 8 hours. The standby time is good, it hardly uses 1% an hour.

In this 1 week - my battery died twice and i generally put it to full charge when it touches 10% or so. It takes less than 2 hours to charge.

I am in India. I got my phone from USA ATT. We use 3G here (NO 4G). But my phone shows as 4G. not sure if it is trying to find 4G signals here. Do you guys think this is using up my battery? If yes, is there any option to turn off 4G and use 3G instead?

Do you guys think my battery backup will increase?

You should select 3g by going to mobile network in settings and you will see a box with highest connection speed.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I charge my phone every 2nd to 3rd night. My setting and usage are below.

What's app
Bing weather
Bing news
Outlook (push)
Gmail (15minutes)
Bluethoot on
Wifi on when awake
Glance (peak)
Tap to wake up
Brightness on low
Network 3g

Those settings never change. I find that the battery is on a par with the battery in my Sony Xperia Z1 which I don't use anymore, it has been in its box for the past couple of weeks.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is pretty much on par with my old Lumia 920, mediocre at best. With light-medium usage it can last a day. With heavy usage, it lasts a little more than half a day. I've had it for 2 months on T-Mobile USA.

kaykay84

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I use just these:

What's app
Gmail (15minutes)
Wifi on
Brightness on low and auto
Network 3g
Facebook

Nothing more.. not sure why it doesnt last long..

Is it because i use 3G but the phone displays 4G near the tower icon? do u think it is trying to look for 4G ? Do we have any option to de activate that ?

I just love the phone.. but it is so irritating that it discharges in less than 6 hours.

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Glad to be back on WP. Just switched from a Galaxy S4 on Sprint to the 925 on AT&T. Overall I'm pleased. I was pleasantly surprised by the battery life. With light use I can usually go three days. Occassionaly it acts up and drains extremely quickly requiring a warm reboot(vol. down and power held until it reboots). But overall good, quite good. Btw, bt off, wifi off, glance screen off, battery saver off, display brightness on low.

anon(8050146)

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty satisfied with my lumia 925 battery life. Is pretty close to the lumia 720 which has the best battery performance from all lumias besides probably the new 1520.

The phone is currently with GDR2 and with almost 2 weeks usage with:

-bluetooth, gps and nfc on
-connected to LTE with 2-3/5 bars of signal
-wifi always on
-auto brightness
-glance screen on (changed to peek option recently)
-black background
-high sensitivity touch on

My background apps are:
-two gmail accounts syncing every hour
-data sense
-battery sense
-facebook
-myTube
-bing news
-twitter
-viber
-whatsapp
-and many others which only update tiles but are not visible (I actually reached the 15 background apps limit today)

My typical usage is:
-couple of sms a day
-short call a day
-something like 2 hours per day with baconit
-an average of 2-3 camera shots per day
-some file sharing to dropbox and skydrive
-some minutes of internet explorer
-using a bit of every other app

Maximum battery duration was 1 day and 20 hours. If I use the camera a lot or pick a game, it gets 1 day and a couple of hours.

Remember that the phone battery takes 1 to 2 weeks to get calibrated properly. When I got the phone it rarely got past 1 day of usage. Now it gets a couple of hours more to a maximum of 20 hours.

kaykay84

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
For the past 2 days i have been getting atleast 20 hours of battery life.

My usage is high. I am on whats app atleast 5 to 6 hours every day, Facebook, email sync set to 15 mins and atleast 10 to 15 photos, music and few other news apps like weave.

The old change i did was switching of my data and using only through wifi. There is a massive difference in my battery life.

In standby i hardly lose about 3% in 7 or 8 hours and on regular usage i am losing about 4 to 6% battery.

I some how need to get the highest connection speed settings enabled on my phone, so that i can set my max speed as 3G instead of 4G.

Saurabh3321

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any issues with the battery until i started using wireless charging!
i charge overnight using wireless charger
Few calls of 2-5 minutes and about 2-3 hours of whatsapp/kik
some browsing on wifi
And at the end of the day battery gets to 10%
mobile data is always off. Bluetooth nfc off. Glance set to peek.
anybody else who uses wireless charger?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss