How stable is Windows 10?

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Really keen to try our Windows 10 now, but I'm just wondering how stable the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview is as I only have my main laptop to try on!

Most of the time I am just using:
Firefox (I'd like to try Edge but would be happy to use either)
Windows Live Mail 2012 (I know it's ancient, I like it, but I'd like to try something more up to date!)
And MS Office.

So I'm not a heavy user on this device. Is it stable enough for basic use or is it worth waiting a few more months?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it'll work, and I did that myself with similar usage, BUT since its a preview, have some backup or contingency plan just in case something goes catastrophically wrong in installation or whatever. I wouldn't expect issues, but Murphy's Law you know

sometimes things might be a bit flaky like a less-than-responsive start menu in my case, but i think its tolerable.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, it's stable enough for daily use. I've been using the TP for a week now. I only installed W10 TP though because my W8.1 somehow got corrupted

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Fantastic on PC, not polished enough for mobile yet. Restored my phone back to 8.1 because the start screen would take a good 5 seconds to load all the time

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh and by the way, I'm a heavy gamer, with a 3500$ computer that I use all the time. And I've been very happy with it. So for a heavy user it's been great with my experience, so you should have no problem

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It is very hit or miss... either it will work for your computer or it will crash and burn.

I would recommend using the backup tool to create a restore image, install, and if things go badly use your restore image to go back to right before you installed it.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Another option is to create a partition and set it up as a dual-boot system. I did that myself with my Win7 laptop. Then you aren't screwed if something goes wrong.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
It's pretty stable for me. Haven't had a crash or anything related in the newest build. I had some crashes in the older builds, but none for a while. Build 10074 is great for me!

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Have been using Win 10 TP daily since I loaded it up in November. Using it on a custom built with 32gb ram, GTX770, 29 inch LG UltraWide monitor. SSD and HDD storage in which I'm phasing out the HDDs. No problems to speak of including the new nVidia driver.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Known quirks aside and a few minor annoyances, the current Fast Ring build is smooth enough to use for my daily driver on my Surface Pro.

I'd give it a shot, especially if you'd like to try out and give feedback to the new Mail app and the Office Previews. As others said, though, have a contingency just in case something happens.

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds good enough to use then :) Will back everything up and upgrade some time next week!

Will I just be able to update to future releases and eventually to the final release when available? Or will I have to back up and install a clean copy? I usually only ever install fresh copies and restore files as I don't like the thought of upgrading something that's been installed for months/years, but can't be bothered this time!

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Will I just be able to update to future releases and eventually to the final release when available? Or will I have to back up and install a clean copy?

Yes, you will be able to update to the RTM from the TP. You should be able to do a refresh, too, to have a clean Windows installation without having to delete your files, but you could do a reset from Settings to have it completely clean, then move your files back.

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I went for it, love it! A few things here and there, take a while to load the login screen, one or two minor things need fine tuning, but works fine so far as a primary OS! I chose the upgrade route but when the final version is available I think I'll make a backup of all my files and start fresh with a clean install and reinstall all my programs, haven't had a fresh start for about 2 years!

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Preview 10130 in a VM on my Mac and 10074 on my Surface 3 and they both work extremely well! Stable enough for a daily use Computer. Really can't wait to see 10130 or 10136 on my surface 3!!!

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Stable enough for daily use only if a) you're willing to reboot several times a day because something or other has stopped working, and b) you don't mind the regular quirks and bugs Windows 10 still has. I've had it on a personal laptop I use occasionally for two weeks (build 10074 first, then 10130) but have decided to go back to Windows 8.1 Update since it was too much of a hassle. Nothing big, really, but tons of quirks and annoying bugs, such as the start menu not working occasionally, the action/notification center only working 1/10 tries (a reboot would only fix this randomly), Windows 10 asking for me to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to unlock the device regularly, PIN authentication not working, File Explorer popping up randomly several times a day (usually once or twice an hour), Windows Store & Windows Store Beta not working at all in 10130 (randomly after a reboot I was able to open Windows Store and install an app), PC settings crashing on every other item I select, etc.

Is Windows 10 stable? Sort of, I've only had one blue screen during these two weeks. Ready for daily productive usage? Most certainly not, there is still a lot of work to be done until July 29.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb