How to convince iPhone and Android users to make the switch?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
There's only one carrier that works in the middle of my 300 acres of woods and that's VZW so I'm stuck shall we say. No TMO, No AT&T, No SPRINT and I ain't switchin to Cricket to find out.

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.
Cricket works on AT&T so that won't work for you either.
That stinks, but I'm sure it's just one of the sacrifices you make for living where you do. I'm sure it's beautiful there!

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Cricket works on AT&T so that won't work for you either.
That stinks, but I'm sure it's just one of the sacrifices you make for living where you do. I'm sure it's beautiful there!

NOW you got it. There's LOTS of different circumstances that move people. That's not to say your point is wrong, it just isn't universal.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
NOW you got it. There's LOTS of different circumstances that move people. That's not to say your point is wrong, it just isn't universal.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Of course! I was speaking of my acquaintances.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Of course! I was speaking of my acquaintances.
Nah, your point applies to lots and lots of people. But I did MY due diligence. :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Funny thing about prices and plans. I just bought Honor 7 Lite (5C) for my wife for less than 130? (Black Friday) - 3 years payment without additional costs or operator lock. None of the operators has locked or subsidized phones in many years.

My own plan is like 100min+100sms+2GB data for around 20?/month. But when I have that, I get unlimited 4G data plan for 13?/month - it's our primary internet connection and has had terabytes of traffic at 25-80Mbps. And another for my parents-in-law.
There are also plans with reduced price for limited time, and during the lower price, they cannot be closed.

To the original post: For our son, there was no question about not having Android phone after feature phone. Clash of Clans etc just were not available (and still are not) for. It took Pok?mon Go to switch me to Android. And my wife bit the bullet after walking around with 8" tablet and because Frozen bugged and did not let her advance and it didn't update in many months.
I did like the simplicity and just-works of WP8.0 and in some extent of WP8.1 too. WM10 - early previews looked and felt good, but maybe the UI or something else took a wrong turn. So, today, I can't think of a general reason why anyone having used to the taste of the forbidden fruit or almost limitless app store of Android (there is no good app to turn an old phone to a security camera, store videos reliably and run day after day with automatic switch to night mode though) would switch to Windows phone.

this forum where you get answers and fixes from enthusiasts.. Simple questions that I have asked on android forums hardly got any response including WPcentral sister site android central!!! Infact I think should post the questions here ;) for getting answers ! :)

I can agree with this :) Android Central forum is very fragmented, everything seems to be divided by OS version or device. Personally I can't find anything interesting from there.
We can use Android - Windows Central Forums ;)

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are enthusiasts and as such, we prefer the leading edge of performance in our devices. Your statement is the very justification of how Android became the world leader it is. Budget Androids flooded the market and they never looked back. Thank you for reminding us of how purchasing power in the hands of many can dominate a global market. I can't speak for the rest of the world but in the US, anybody can walk out of a carrier store with a top of the line phone with zero or little upfront cost. I guess cheap credit is back in vogue.

How does this tie into the current thread? Think about it, how do you convince someone to buy an HP Elite x3 for $800 (right now) with the current app gap, when they can go to AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon and walk away with an iPhone 7 or Galaxy S7 and not have to drop a nickel?

By the way, what your Hoosiers did to the Tar Heels the other night was unreal.

Yeah, how dare you beat my Heels. LOL Good job. Hope we meet later in the year. AX

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Oh I think the majority know they're paying a hefty price but it comes down to convenience, simple as that. And as for leaving the carrier, from my side of the globe if one's carrier is providing an acceptable service then there's little reason to leave, not to mention that being a "long term customer" can have its perks too.

That word convenience is the key word. That's why we have Circle K's, 7 Eleven and other "convenience stores" all around us.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh and the main thing that I like about windows phone ****Drum roll**** is surprisingly not the phone or the OS it is this forum where you get answers and fixes from enthusiasts.. Simple questions that I have asked on android forums hardly got any response including WPcentral sister site android central!!! Infact I think should post the questions here ;) for getting answers ! :)
I heartily agree!
Although the Windows phone's OS is intriguing and enjoyable, it is also extremely frustrating. If I had not discovered this wonderful site, I probably would have tossed my first Lumia 520 into the woods. Instead, I found answers to my most of my questions, and worked my way to the 925, 640 (for myself, daughter, and wife), and now, the 650.
I have never seen anyone else with a Windows phone,and have found the folks at AT&T or Cricket (the only ones who HAD carried them) to be clueless.
Therefore, I am left with only Windows Central to help sort through the frustrating inconsistencies of the OS.
With the encouragement of the many fine forum friends- (FFF), I have even participated with the Windows Insider Program.
Thank you, Windows Central:smile:

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
You are right that EVERY platform has its issues but is it to the extent seen on WM per each device? Having "A" issue on one device is far different than multiple ones, I can attest to the multiple part as I'm sure many others can as well.

Don't think anyone is suggesting WM is the "only" bug-infested OS but to the extent it is, far and above the worst, leader of the pack shall we say.

I posted this in a different thread (I'm quoting myself) and I wasn't searching for it, I just stumbled upon it. I think that it's a point worth making:

I moved along to search the author Matt Swider's articles and found a 6-day old entry called "iOS 10 problems: Here's how to fix the most common issues". The topics are:

- iOS 10.1.1 battery issues... "we've been experiencing poor iOS 10 battery life, and with the recent release of iOS 10.0.2, these problems remain."

- iOS 10 bricking phones... "the final launch of iOS 10 has bricked a number of iPhones and iPads. That's disheartening for Apple fans after a solid three-month beta."

- iOS 10 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues... "This problem creeps up every year, and sadly it's no different with iOS 10. Even after Apple released iOS 10.0.2m people are still experiencing Wi-Fi and Bluetooth problems."

- How to stop Messages installing other apps...

- iOS 10 crashes when sending messages

- iPhone stops vibrating after updating to iOS 10... "Some people have noticed that their iPhones no longer vibrate in iOS 10 when they receive messages. "

- iOS 10 home button... "iOS 10 changes the home button functionality now that 'Slide to Unlock' is no more. It actually makes you press in on the Touch ID fingerprint sensor."

- Touch ID stops working in iOS 10... "If Touch ID has stopped working, and you can't configure it after upgrading to iOS 10, then try the following:"

- Your iPhone loses cellular network and can't reconnect

- iOS 10 cellular network problems

- iOS 10 uses lots of mobile data

- No iMessage notifications in iOS 10

- iMessage effects aren't working in iOS 10

- Cannot delete apps in iOS 10

- Third party keyboard don't work in iOS 10

- Purchased ringtones have vanished in iOS 10

- Alarms are not working in iOS 10

- iPhone screen no longer works

- Device gets hot when charging after iOS 10 update

- Photo albums no longer sync in iOS 10

- Playlists appear empty after updating to iOS 10

- Emails don't appear in iOS 10 Mail app

Phew..... and then it ends with: "More iOS 10 problems and fixes. We're in the first days of Apple's new operating system availability, and we can guarantee that there will be more iOS 10 problems discovered." !!!

But it's the Lumia 950 that's "beta"!!!....

Let's just be honest here: The Microsoft smartphones are held to a VASTLY different standard than iOS or Android devices. We can discuss the benefits or drawbacks of soft-/hardware design, and discuss the actual success or failure of the implementation of those technologies, but when we compare we should be clear and state just what parameters we use and where we expect them to be set to consider something a "failure" or a "success", or a "beta" device or something "great" or whatever.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
from within the Windows Central community, what would you say to an Apple, Android or BlackBerry user looking to switch to Windows Phone? What are the great things you can't get anywhere else? Sound off!

I wouldn't bother trying to convince them, because the discussions are too annoying most of the time. But the things I can't get anywhere else?

- The GUI, which I prefer by far
- Start screen (sort of same as GUI I suppose)
- OneDrive
- Continuum
- Easy connectivity and access to files and folders (I think you get that on Android as well)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't bother trying to convince them, because the discussions are too annoying most of the time. But the things I can't get anywhere else?

- The GUI, which I prefer by far
- Start screen (sort of same as GUI I suppose)
- OneDrive
- Continuum
- Easy connectivity and access to files and folders (I think you get that on Android as well)
OneDrive is available for both iOS Android.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I heartily agree!
Although the Windows phone's OS is intriguing and enjoyable, it is also extremely frustrating. If I had not discovered this wonderful site, I probably would have tossed my first Lumia 520 into the woods. Instead, I found answers to my most of my questions, and worked my way to the 925, 640 (for myself, daughter, and wife), and now, the 650.
I have never seen anyone else with a Windows phone,and have found the folks at AT&T or Cricket (the only ones who HAD carried them) to be clueless.
Therefore, I am left with only Windows Central to help sort through the frustrating inconsistencies of the OS.
With the encouragement of the many fine forum friends- (FFF), I have even participated with the Windows Insider Program.
Thank you, Windows Central:smile:
I got into a bullying situation where this girl was stalking me and then picking apart everything I said/posted. This was at AndroidCentral. I noticed she was new when she started on me so I blocked her so I couldn't see any of her posts. Her postings shot up over a 3 day period or so and I just didn't post anything. In about 2 more days she disappeared. I couldn't IMAGINE that happening ANYWHERE among Windows Folks LOL. But I still don't have anything to post over there. My S7e phones fine and it's a whole different kind of folks anyway.

And my Sportster Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] is my ticket to keep coming back here even though theres no problems with it either. :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I'd tell them don't get one. I can no longer, in good faith, recommend a Windows phone - any model to any one. It's just too risky now. And how intimately can I know what their usage needs are?
I bailed out to Android a couple months ago to an S7 edge. It's like a whole new level of "turn-the-key" and everything works.
But I DID keep service on my Windows phone so as a Hobby it's GREAT!

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser :winktongue:
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster :winktongue:
Even when I lose, I win.
I'm quite the opposite. I can't let my friends use android. It's like watching them make a grave mistake.

Sent from mTalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I got into a bullying situation where this girl was stalking me and then picking apart everything I said/posted. This was at AndroidCentral. I noticed she was new when she started on me so I blocked her so I couldn't see any of her posts. Her postings shot up over a 3 day period or so and I just didn't post anything. In about 2 more days she disappeared. I couldn't IMAGINE that happening ANYWHERE among Windows Folks LOL. But I still don't have anything to post over there. My S7e phones fine and it's a whole different kind of folks anyway.

And my Sportster Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] is my ticket to keep coming back here even though theres no problems with it either. :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
If you experience a problem like that please report it so the mods may address it. We don't allow trolling at Android Central (I'm a mod there as well). We just can't see every problematic post without reports, since Android Central has far more activity than Windows Central.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
If you experience a problem like that please report it so the mods may address it. We don't allow trolling at Android Central (I'm a mod there as well). We just can't see every problematic post without reports, since Android Central has far more activity than Windows Central.
You angels are everywhere ain't ya?
I had four-5 mods back me up on a technical issue with the site. To wit: I couldn't delete any replies, not Thread Starters, replies on the Android side.
Our OP buddy here James said it couldn't be fixed and I just had to live with it, so you can imagine how I feel about him. Out of 4 Mods 1 agreed with him but the other 3 said NO, THERE'S DEFINITELY SOMETHING WRONG !!!! It was Ameuit who was an absolute bulldog about it and said she had other doors to try and in about 5 minutes it was fixed. I love you guys :love:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm quite the opposite. I can't let my friends use android. It's like watching them make a grave mistake.

Sent from mTalk

I find this interesting. If I can ask, why do you feel this way? So I'm guessing that you suggest iOS if they asked you?
It's the first time I have EVER heard anyone say that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs