How To Enable Windows 7 Version of the Battery Fly Out

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, a friend of mine bought this to my attention and figured some of you may find this useful on Windows 10, therefore have made a little how to guide as it is a fairly easy reg edit - you only need to create one entry and does not require a reboot or require you to sign-out and sign back in. Furthermore this doesn't change functionality of the fly out (as far I have noticed) just the UX and the right click context menu on the battery icon still works as normal - as does the "mobility centre".

You can also toggle back and forth.

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry is very risky and not for the faint hearted as you could end up completely destroying your install {if you do not know what you're doing} and do irreversible damage if you do not take the proper precautions - Always back up the default entries you are modifying and create a system restore point before doing any edits.
. I would say this absolutely mandatory if you're extremely new to this. I will not be touching on how to create a system restore point - see here - How to Create System Restore Point in Windows 10

So without further delay, this little guide will change the battery fly out from:

New Battery Icon.png

To this:

OldBatteryIcon (Reg Edit).png

{NB: I have a Samsung 850 EVO SSD in my HP Probook 4730s hence why my selected power plan is showing as "Samsung High Performance"}.

If your interested see below:

1) Open regedit.exe via the run command -
  • Right clicking on the start menu / winkey + x or using winkey+r then typing in "regedit.exe" {without the speech marks}
  • Press enter and accept the UAC prompt (if you have it enabled).

Alternatively you can use Cortana / Winkey+S (Search).

2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell

• 1-4 Merge.jpg
    Edit: You will need to click on this image to zoom in for more detail.

IMPORTANT STEP - BACK UP:
Right click on "Immersive shell", left click export, save as what ever you like

• Back Up Default Key A.png
    Back Up Default Key B.png
{NB: The other two keys:
fast startup - was a tweak for startup lag of 1 minute with AMD & Intel Display drivers - result: not fixed. Resolved with Leshcat drivers.
device meta data: Tied in with my investigation into to the start up lag with the aforesaid drivers.}

3) Create a new Dword Value (32 bit) via the right click context menu or you can use the "Edit" button then "New" on the toolbar at the top.

• 5.New Dword.png
    6.New Dword Step 2.png
    7.New Dword Step 3.png

4) Type in "UseWin32BatteryFlyout" and press enter or left click anywhere in the whitespace of the registry editor. However if you have accidently left clicked elsewhere or pressed enter thus ending up a new value called "New Value #1". Not a problem you can right click on it and click rename - to rename it. Again alternatively you can use the "Edit" button then "Rename".

Or you could simply delete the newly created Dword Value and start again.

5) Double click on "UseWin32BatteryFlyout" and change the default value from 0 (being OFF or DISABLED)

• 8.New Dword Step 4 - Enable.PNG

to 1 (being ON or ENABLED).

• 9.New Dword Step 4 - Enable B.PNG

6) There you have it:
10.Complete.png

To disable this tweak and go back to the default fly out style:
Simply change the value again as above [Step 5] but this time to 0.

• Disabled 3.png

Edit: 18/09/2015

Found this nifty tool Ultimate Windows Tweaker, (beats creating a script :D) which you can use as quick toggle as opposed to using the registry editor as shown above.

Disclaimer: This tool has very advanced settings, only change them if you know what you are doing!
Otherwise you will completely mess up your install and may incur data loss

1) Extract and Start Ultimate Windows Tweaker - upon starting it will create a recovery point so you can revert back later if you go crazy with the other settings. However it may not undo all your changes.
1.UT4 Start Page.PNG

2) Navigate to the Windows 10 Tab at the top

3) At the bottom right hand corner untick and click apply to get the old style - the task bar will flicker and you may get a notification about a change. However if you want to re-enable, tick the box again and click apply again the taskbar will flicker.

3. Battery flyout merge.jpg

Lastly it will prompt you to restart once you exit the tool, you can restart if you wish (unless you changed other settings which do require a restart to take affect then you will need to restart)
Download Link:
Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Confirmed Awesomeness.

Easy Peasy.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Capture02.JPG
    Capture02.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 89

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Easy to switch back too... So long as you aren't making more manual changes, when you next run Regedit, it goes right back where you navigated to. Just enter "UseWin32BatteryFlyout" and change the value.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Good to know :).

Great guide!

I prefer the Windows 10 battery display. But this is a great option.

Thanks and I do as well, use the right click context menu myself.

Me too, but like you said, options!

Concur, plus some think that you have yo go into settings every time to change the power option. Needless to say when power options via the right click context menu is suggested it creates a 'd'oh moment'

Easy to switch back too... So long as you aren't making more manual changes, when you next run Regedit, it goes right back where you navigated to. Just enter "UseWin32BatteryFlyout" and change the value.

Yup, the alternative would be to create a shortcut to the exported default backup of immersive shell and export the modified version. You can add and remove that way, but I'm concerned about any ill effects that may cause long term which is why I didn't put into the guide :). I might end up creating a script to toggle back and forth as that would be easier than going through two sets of prompts per toggle.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Instead of editing my post, thought I'd bump this thread so you guys get notifications (if your subscribed). I stumbled upon this little nifty tweaking tool. Be warned though some of the options are for advanced users however it does include a checkbox toggle for the battery flyout and volume mixer (and much more).

Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10

It's fairly light weight, no install needed and it auto creates a system restore point at first start up so providing you don't go overly crazy you can revert back.

Edit: added screenshots and quick run down to first post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers