How to fully erase personal data on Nokia Lumia 1520 with a broken screen?

Jude Ng

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
My beloved Nokia bit the dust :'( I accidentally dropped it and the severely cracked touchscreen is no longer responding, although the display is still working. I'm planning to sell it on eBay, so I want to make sure all my personal data is wiped clean.

Will a hard reset do the job?

But in order to perform a hard reset, the phone has to be turned off, and I can't do that because of the dead screen. My phone still has close to full battery though, so I'm waiting for it to drain off slowly... My question is, will the phone turn on automatically when I eventually charge it with a dead battery?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you hold that power button down long enough About 10 seconds or so) it should shut down without the screen swipe...

I concur with realwarder though, use the SRT.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you hold that power button down long enough About 10 seconds or so) it should shut down without the screen swipe...

I concur with realwarder though, use the SRT.

This will only restart the device - no data will be wiped. For a button-enabled hard reset, you need to press more buttons in the secret sequence:-

Resetting your Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

If your phone is unresponsive and you can't reach Settings , you may be able to reset your phone using the hardware buttons. On Nokia Lumia phones (and some others), do the following to reset your phone:
1. Press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds).
2.When you feel the vibration, immediately press and hold the Volume down button until you see a large exclamation mark.
3.Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: Volume up , Volume down , Power , Volume down . Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
You can also go to the Windows Phone official website, log in with your MSFT account and remove all data from your phone that is usually used for stolen phones.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
You can also go to the Windows Phone official website, log in with your MSFT account and remove all data from your phone that is usually used for stolen phones.

I'm waiting for an iPhone user who fell for the "Wave" recharging technology practical joke to seek revenge by suggest throwing a Windows Phone into a microwave for 5 minutes to wipe the data.

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
That is thinking outside the box!!!

That's the way to go for everything, particularly in IT stuff ;)

I'm waiting for an iPhone user who fell for the "Wave" recharging technology practical joke to seek revenge by suggest throwing a Windows Phone into a microwave for 5 minutes to wipe the data.

I am sorry, I did not get it, is it sarcasm? (I'm not fluent in English) My post was not a joke, it's just one of the 3 remote things you can do to your phone without accessing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers