How to install Redstone 14356

Daniel Menoni

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm on T-Mobile (US) with an HTC One (M8). I've successfully used this process to run all the fast ring updates on my daily driver. I don't suggest you do it, but I have had minimal problems. Hiccups here and there, but nothing too serious. This works, from installing interop tools, to writing the registry, and even a hard reset with backup restore after the updates.

Currently i'm installing 14385...

I've never lost my APN, however I took note of it beforehand just in case. Your results may vary, but seems to go just fine for me.
For T-Mobile HTC One (M8):
PhoneManufacturer: HTC
PhoneManufacturerModelName: 0P6B140
PhoneModelName: 0P6B140

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
Password: Password
Type of sign-in info: None
IP type: IPv4

aha518

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Daniel M., I'm actually with T-Mobile and was curious to know how the HTC One M8 would work with this method of updating to Redstone and the settings to input as well to maintain coverage....now that I hear that it's doable, can't wait until my HTC One arrives!!! XD

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! It was as simple as installing the InterOp app, changing three registry fields (I used the global 930 code), downloading and installing the update, and restoring the three fields. I'm on AT&T and didn't need to change APN settings or anything.

Now on build 14388, and liking Redstone so far. It has solved a few of the significant problems I had on TH fast ring builds.

M Segotta

May 19, 2015
Visit site
SO what I'm not getting is this--in order to sideload Interop Tools, I need to put the device in developer mode--but the only things I see explaining this are in Win10 settings...I find no such setting on the AT&T M8. Anyone?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by M Segotta
SO what I'm not getting is this--in order to sideload Interop Tools, I need to put the device in developer mode--but the only things I see explaining this are in Win10 settings...I find no such setting on the AT&T M8. Anyone?
Settings--->Update & Security--->For developers you'll find the setting in there.

Not sure if anyone else had an issue tapping to install, but I did . To solve I downloaded the Windows 10 SDK from Microsoft.

Connected my phone with developer mode enabled and ran the below and it installed.
c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86>WinAppDeployCmd.exe install -file "C:\Users\nate0\Documents\SM-W750V\InteropTools Releases\InteropToolsApp_beta_1.7_0.0.157.0_arm.appxbundle" -ip 127.0.0.1

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The interop tools ZIP file contained other apps (in a subfolder called dependencies) that I also had to install. I didn't need to download the SDK. I also didn't have to connect my phone to my PC. Assuming you're already using an Insider build, it was as simple as:

1. Download Interop Tools
  2. Unzip, move files to phone
  3. Turn on Dev mode on phone
  4. Install dependencies
  5. Install Interop
  6. Run Interop and make 3 registry changes
  7. Download/install Redstone
  8. Rerun Interop and undo 3 registry changes

I'm on AT&T FWIW. I haven't hard reset yet (don't have the need), but that could be step 9.

Worth it for me. Still issues, but fewer than the Threshold builds, and some neat new features.

nachonut

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I thought something happened after I did a hard reset the other day. No matter what I did I couldn't get Interop to show up under the extra's on my phone. Little did I know that it was installed as a regular app now. So it was actually listed in the Apps menu under I, as opposed to being in the Extra's section.

Just in case anybody else spends time trying to re-install it after a reset. Also had to re-install it after upgrading to the newest 493 build. Was showing as pending until I re-did it from the file browser.

All just FYI.

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
So just did this registry change on my M8. I used Nokia, RM-1104, Lumia 950 for the OP's registry values, enrolled in insider fast and rebooted. Can confirm that I am downloading 14393.3 right now.

This is awesome. Here I had been hating HTC because of the lack of Win10 support but now I can hate them a little less and now only because they wont officially support this.

Thanks OP. You are a god among men.

benj1091

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Just an update for everyone- in preparation of the launch of the final build of the anniversary update, it appears Microsoft has removed unsupported devices from all rings of the insider program, so if you restore back to 8.1, you're going to be stuck there. I'm trying to see what I can do to get back to 10 and I will let you all know if I find a way. I may have a found a rather convoluted path back and am testing it now.

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow I am glad I got mine on the update when I did then. I did do a factory reset on mine since I was having issues with apps freezing/not opening and I did not lose my data/mms settings. I'm on Tmobile. Still on 14393.5 but now I have to wonder if we'll get the cumulative updates still to come for the anniversary update...guess we'll have to wait for another update to come out to see.

benj1091

May 17, 2016
Visit site
I did end up figuring out how to upgrade from 8.1 now that theyve removed the phone. I will update the original instructions soon (once I get out of work most likely)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I did end up figuring out how to upgrade from 8.1 now that theyve removed the phone. I will update the original instructions soon (once I get out of work most likely)
Sweet! Good for you. Look forward to the reply. I recently sold my M8 but never know when I might come across one again.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, I did not do the mod, should have...My son has been using it and has been content with that release. He unfortunately dropped it and shattered the screen so I just received the replacement and will be swapping it out tonight. I am thinking I would do the hack seeing as he has been using my 640 on Redstone, my HTC M8 is on 10586.494.

With this hack will it upgrade to Redstone if already in W10M? Or is this removal from the insider program going to prohibit the jump to Redstone?

If it won't work it'll probable show up on xda-developers soon.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I sooooo want to try this. but this is my daily driver and only phone and I don't plan on buying another phone until it dies... I also use on Verizon.

If I do this upgrade, what happens to future W10M releases? Do we have to do this registry hack from now on with every update?

khaivu

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by onlysublime
I sooooo want to try this. but this is my daily driver and only phone and I don't plan on buying another phone until it dies... I also use on Verizon.

If I do this upgrade, what happens to future W10M releases? Do we have to do this registry hack from now on with every update?

Great question. I just tried getting 14393.10 that's just released today with as is and the registry hack. Unfortunately both options failed. I would like to hear if anyone had success in updating to the new update.

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
It hasnt been released for phone yet, only PC. When its released for phone, we can try again. Still waiting for OP to update instructions...

sncboom2k

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Followed the instructions in this forum to a T - was able to join the fast ring and download the latest build to my M8. However, something must be wrong with my phone. I get a 0x8007570 error regardless of what I try or version I try. I tried to get to .494 and had the same issue. Soft Reset, Hard Reset, remove uSD card etc - still fails. Not sure what to do. Currently stuck on 10.0.10586.107 - If anyone can point me in the right direction to fix this error, I'd appreciate it. Have scoured Google with no luck on anything that has worked. Goes to installing 2% then jumps to 100% and fails. Boooo - I really want to use this hack :)

Update - literally left the phone on the counter over night. Woke up to "a restart has been scheduled". It's installing the latest .5 fastbuild right now. Wish it luck! (Gears are turning).

Update - No such luck. Stuck in a reboot loop between gears and a sad face.

Update - System restore did not work. Had to use MS Recovery Tool. Back on 8.1 now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99