How to make sure Data goes over WiFi not 4G?

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Just got a Titan, first smartphone so bear with me: I understand that data usage over WiFi does not count towards the 200MB or 2GB data caps, right? How can I make sure that the data (e-mail/web/etc) is going over my home WiFi network instead of 4G if both are enabled at the same time on my phone??

Also, why does Instant Messaging via Windows Messenger still seem to count as a 20 cent message even though I'm on WiFi??? Is AT&T ripping me off here, or is IM over WiFi actually free??

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
WiFi should have precedence when turned on, unless a program asks you to specify your carrier data.

SMS messages don't use WiFi.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
WIFI can and will go to sleep. I don't have a Titan but on my other devices WIFI will go to sleep then my other programs will default to cell data. How I overcome this is to turn off cell data and keep my device plugged in I also have push mail enabled. Keeping the phone plugged in with push mail enabled seams to keep WIFI on. I don't use IM much and I haven't been on AT&T long enough to tell if I am being charged for the messages or at least nothing is showing on my bill yet.

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
As Big D5 said, turning off your cell data is the best way to ensure you are not using cellular data. SMS or text messaging is separate from data. I read you other post as well and admit I am curious. I pay for unlimited messaging (that's a ripoff) since I have 5 lines on my account. My logic says that facebook and Live messenger should be utilizing your data connection and not go out over SMS.

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I did some testing. Live messenger is integrated by way of SMS. I don't think this is the intended way according to the messenger site. But for some reason all contacts appear offline even if they are online. At least this is my experience.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss