How to remove unwanted photos from the live tile (People app.)?

Mikeb99

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
How to remove unwanted photos from the live tile. (People app.)

Since updating to W10M from 8.1 Denim I have a problem with out of date photos appearing in the People live tile. The photos cannot be found in my photo folder. I also uninstalled Skype completely on both the 640 and my desk top system as apparently it is impossible to delete contacts within Skype . I suspect these photos somehow came from Skype...

Anybody got an idea how to completely clean out these old photos from the live tile. It used to be possible in 8.1 desktop version but seems to have disappeared now in both desktop W10 as well as in W10M.

Thanks for any ideas,

Mikeb

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to remove unwanted photos from the live tile. (People app.)

I've noticed that as well. The pics I'm seeing are old Facebook profile photos, and usually the photo the person was using when I first added them as a contact. I also noticed that after using the phone for a while, several days at least, that the photos started updating to the "current" Facebook profile photo. Apparently when your contacts are saved to the cloud, whatever photo is in use the first time a contact is backed up is the one saved, and it never gets updated. So when those contacts are "restored" to your phone using Windows 10, it pulls those photos and it takes time before the photos are updated.

It did finally update with mine, though.

Mikeb99

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

Thanks, it was more or less what I thought but I am not using FB and my photos seem to have come from Skype. I'm really looking for a way to actually find and delete the photos that have been cached somewhere as I am not using Skype any longer and in fact have completely uninstalled it with the hope that this might result in the photos disappearing.

Mikeb

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

Admittedly this is a pain to do, but you can choose the picture used for any given contact by editing that contact in the People app. So you could either put in the picture you want to use or just put in a blank for the outdated ones. But yeah, not an ideal solution.

Mikeb99

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

Not as simple as that, I have several photos that do not correspond with anyone on my contact list or on Skype. I believe that they have come from Skype which is no longer installed. Even before I removed Skype these photos were not associated with any current people in the Skype contact list.

In the mean time I am adding new photos to names in the contact list in the hope that they will ultimately push the old ones out... Maybe!!!

Mikeb

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

Right, that's what I am saying, they should eventually push the old photos out. I have manually added pictures for contacts that use unrecognizable/unhelpful photos, and the old photo always eventually disappears. I, too, have photos pulled from the Facebook app, Skype, and a connected Google account, so I've watched how the live tile changes a bit. There can be a bit of a lag, unfortunately, and I don't know why, but in my experience they eventually go away in favor of the new ones.

The worst part, I guess, is that if the old photos aren't even identifiable, then you won't be able to selectively replace the photos for those contacts--you'll just have to do them all. Are you sure all your contacts are showing? I sometimes forget to turn off the setting to hide contacts with no phone number, and to make sure all the boxes are checked (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) on my phone.

PChem

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site

My problem is that I have lots of work people in the contacts list, and I don't want to see their pictures on the home screen at all. Ideally, you could replace the "contacts" live tile with a static one of your own choice, but I haven't figure out how to do that.

My solution to the problem: Reduce the size of the "contacts" tile to the smallest size, so it doesn't show contacts pictures at all.

Mikeb99

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

Yes that was also my solution, but I was hoping that someone might know where the out of date photos might be lurking in the system so that they could be deleted! My current contact list didn't have any photos so I applied generic photos, (bird photos) to about 15 people and hope that eventually they will force out the ones that I don't want to see.

Mikeb

Mikeb99

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
That question became pointless since the latest update to 14393.189 wiped out all the pictures from People without asking! Every update brings new problems unfortunately!

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss