How would you rate 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' on a scale of 1-10?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
10/10, sure, could have been better, which movie couldn't, but did I leave enjoying it? Yes. Did it make me want more? Oh heck yes.

So, without spoiling anything (I've seen the stories on what happens... Like a guy getting beaten up by a whole group after spoiling the end), go see it, then go again. It's that good.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I rated it a 5, but it could be a 6. My thought about the movie was that it was just "ok." There was some really nice things about the movie, some nostalgia came back full force, but I can't get over several of the issues which some of them made me facepalm hard.

Last edited:

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
*** SPOILERS BELOW ***

This is just a copy and paste from what I wrote on another forum.

My big problems with the movie are:

• The pacing. It was much too fast for anything to develop into something you wanted to believe in or be a part of. There was no time for the mystique and grandness of Star Wars to set in. It was like a two hour commercial. Next next next next next the end.
  • The shooting of the film itself was narrow. One of the things that Lucas has always done well is give the audience the sense of scale with all things; the massive star destroyers, the space within cargo bays, the physical size/scope of characters and their surroundings. Abrams did very little of that.
  • Rey?s sudden knowledge of the force and how to use it after a 3 minute pep talk by a Yoda-wannabe bar pirate. It was almost the very next scene where she uses force persuasion to remove herself from bondage. FFS.
  • Character development ? there was hardly any. I left the movie not caring about the main protagonists because we didn?t get to know them.
  • The Nazi-esque speech by General Hux was completely unnecessary. That scene added nothing.
  • Speaking of General Hux, I really liked Domhnall Gleeson in Ex Machina, but in this movie his acting was just bad, as was the acting by a few others. In many cases was just wooden and forced.
  • This was A New Hope 2.0. The story is copy and paste with different character names.
  • Almost zero time with Captain Phasma. Gwendoline Christie is a great actress. She better have more screen time in the next movie.
  • Chewbacca not giving a sh!t 30 seconds after Han died. Seriously, no embrace or even a god damn look toward Leia when they come back to convey the very tragic loss they just had?? No, leave it up to stranger Leia barely knows to console her. God **** it, Abrams.
  • How did Poe survive the tie-fighter crash and get off Jakku? How did Rey learn to fly the falcon for the first time and able to escape two trained tie fighters? It?s not hard to better explain instances like this or make them more believable without losing anything from the story. That?s just sloppy writing. It?s almost like Abrams said, "Well ****. Disney wants this out by Christmas 2015 so this it?ll have to do." Or maybe Abrams should leave the writing to somebody else.

A few other notes:

• Yeah, Kylo Ren comes across as a whiney, completely unintimidating kid, but so did Luke in Episode IV. And by Episode VI Luke was a composed, mature, and convincing Jedi. Kylo Ren has time to mature into a bad *** sith lord like we want.
  • Han Solo?s death ? I?m not surprised. This is just the beginning of the bridge between new and old characters, and the old characters will slowly be sent off to retire. It?s time. Besides, I wouldn?t be surprised in the least if Harrison Ford agreed to do the film only if it were his last. He hardly wants to do anything anymore.
  • Character chemistry. It certainly isn?t as good as the characters in the original trilogy, but it wasn?t bad like what some people have been saying, IMO. It may have been much better if there was more screen time for them to gel, but the pacing of the movie didn?t allow for it.
  • The scene on Han's freighter where the two sets of pirates raid could have been left out. That time would have been much better valued in getting to know the characters more, explaining what's been happened to the galaxy over the past 30 years, or expanding on other scenes which were rushed. But after learning that this was Han's swan song I understood that aside from Rey, this film was more about him and his legacy.
  • My previous statements about Rey knowing how to channel the force so suddenly would be withdrawn if something like the following happened, as mentioned in a previous post by Brendon W:
Also haven?t seen anyone talk about this yet so here it goes:
I think Rey is a kenobi. And I agree with the majority. I don?t like how everyone is related. It is getting old. But I actually wouldn?t mind if she was somehow related to Obi-Wan.
In the scene where she first touches the lightsaber, you can hear Obi-wan say Rey?s name. And also all of the parallels between her and Obi-wan. Like they both give Luke his fathers lightsaber. They both climb around Death Stars, etc.
I also believe she was trained by Luke before she was left on Jakku. I think she was one of his new padawans but when Ben Solo when crazy and started killing all the kids, Luke saved Rey (because he new she was strong, and his connection to Obi-wan) and left her on Jakku so she could be safe.
Maybe Lor San Tekka was responsible for keeping an eye on Rey.
That would be a nice way to explain some aggravating issues, as well as making the next two movies pan out into a very interesting story.

• Are there too many coincidences in the movie for some folks. Well probably, but that?s Star Wars. Much of the original trilogy was about coincidences, which to me are not coincidences because the force is making many of those coincidences happen.
  • BB-8 stole the show. I loved that little droid.

Overall, the movie wasn?t bad. It just wasn?t that good. 6/10

My Star Wars movie rankings are as follows:

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm not going to rate it.. I enjoyed the movie, I'm going back to see it again, good enough for me.. There again I enjoyed episode 1-3 especially episode 3.. Always wanted to see Anakin's fall to the darkside and the duel between Kenobi and him so maybe I'm in the minority..

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
10/10 it was unbelievably good especially in IMAX 3D. I even changed my avatar (temporarily) to Vaders skull from the movie.

Arunabha Goswami

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I think the most apt review has been given by Stephanie Zacharek of Time magazine - But somewhere along the way, Abrams begins delivering everything we expect, as opposed to those nebulous wonders we didn’t know we wanted.

webosdropout

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't expecting an 'Avatar' or 'Matrix' or even anything near the original Star Wars kind of cinematic 'Wow'. However, I was disappointed. If you cant match a new cinematic experience as mentioned above you better have a darn good story to tell. However, It was like watching a re-boot of the first one.

As entertainment goes it was good. As far as a movie, I give it 6/10. And yes... I saw it twice. Also, so much better than the last trilogy where it seemed all actors learned their acting chops from a pile of lumber. The best that can be said is no more Jar-Jar!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've seen it twice now, and I enjoyed it enough. It was parsecs ahead of the Menace/Clone/Sith garbage. But, it didn't quite beat the originals. I have a feeling that the next few movies and the off-shoot movies will be better....hoping anyway.
And what's with the Rebel Alliance??? They've been fighting this war for decades with no sign of it ending. Time for a new plan. :) I want to see the Rebels take the offensive, in stead of waiting for the Empire/First Order (lame name, by the way) to attack yet again. ha ha

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I loved it. I honestly dont get why the prequels are called garbage I enjoyed them growing up. Maybe im just not old enough to get it but star wars was amazing I watched it twice lol

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I loved it. I honestly dont get why the prequels are called garbage I enjoyed them growing up. Maybe im just not old enough to get it but star wars was amazing I watched it twice lol

You're right. I apologize. Poor choice of words. But I'm not that old. Lol
I just have fond memories of the originals. :)

EstragonHelmer

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
10/10. It's not often I leave the cinema wanting to go back in and watch a film again immediately.

The thing I always loved about the original trilogy was that everything felt new. Like the first time you saw a TIE Fighter, you'd never seen anything like it. It wasn't just another spaceship like every other sci-fi, it was totally new and unique, and amazing. That's what The Force Awakens felt like. It had that same kind of newness to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb