HP Workspace Premium 60-day service

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am delighted to received this email from HP this morning...

-----
thank you for your interest in the HP Workspace Premium 60-day service. Your license key and activation instructions are below.

License Number
XXXXXX
Quantity 5 Users
Product Name: HP 60day Workspace SVC 1Usr E-LTU

Delivery Type: electronic

To create a new account:
1. Visit www.hpworkspace.com
2. Select the Sign-Up button to get started
3. Enter the license key and follow the onscreen prompts in our service onboarding Wizard
Note: Users may need to update the HP Workspace App on the HP Elite x3 before using HP Workspace. They can download the latest app from the Windows Store tile on the HP Elite x3.
The license key will be activated within one business day from the receipt of this email. Please contact us at mobilityswops@hp.com for assistance with the activation process.

Thank you,
HP Workspace Team

--------

I only can use one license and it seems I have 4 more spots. I signed up to this program using my corporate account and I will have to get permission for this, but I am hopeful to get the required permissions to offer this trial to 4 others who can also evaluate it...

I can offer 4 of you a chance to use and play with HP Workspace for 60 days. In return, I ask that each of you contribute back to this forum as a report (with screenshots) on what you think about the program, its usefulness and your use (which would naturally grow and evolve in the next 60 days using this program).

Perhaps, if appropriate I would also very much appreciate if you could kindly contribute to a slush fund allowing me to buy a screen protector and case my HP x3 :grincry:. Again I defer to the forum regulations though my keen interest is for the 5 of us to give enough feedback to others who might be interested in this program.

Naturally, I ask that we have a varied group (of x3 users only) who have the LapDock, Desk Dock etc in order to get a better picture of this program.

You can message me in private. I promise to report any of my findings back here on the forum.

Last edited:

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone post any pictures of HP Workspace, so here are a few

1) Screenshot by Lightshot

What the service is...plus a nice web interface.

2) Screenshot by Lightshot

The interface itself.

3) Screenshot by Lightshot

My, so far unsuccessful attempt, at installing Google Chrome.It been stuck installing Chrome (which I downloaded from google and uploaded here).

Looking further into HP Workspace, it is not an app like TeamViewer, instead is a Continuum like an app that provides you access to (10 apps) or more depending on your subscription. I do not know, yet, the costs related to this service.

Please also note, that one needs a Deskdock or LapDock to utilise this service.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the other camp! I have a 950 and the Microsoft Dock. It's working pretty well for me. :)

This is a good offer though for those who can take advantage! :)

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm in the other camp! I have a 950 and the Microsoft Dock. It's working pretty well for me. :)

This is a good offer though for those who can take advantage! :)

As I mentioned earlier in my initial post about my new x3, I don't have the desk dock or lapdock. I do, however, have the Microsoft Dock which seems to work with the x3. Google Chrome is now installed. Depending on interest here, it seems easy (if not a bit slow) to install any Windows App and use it with HP Workspace.

I have experience with Continuum. It's a very interesting approach but if you do use it, you will find that you are severely limited as to what app will work. HP Workspace seems to work around that -- and for that it is cool. Google Chrome was my first request. I seriously hope that this browser is ported to Windows Phone. Though I am not holding out on it.

For those curious as so what the screen look when an app is installed:

Screenshot by Lightshot

Anyone wishing to give it go with their x3's (and hopefully contibute to my budget to get a case screen protector), please message me privately with your name and email :)

Last edited:

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
surely it's cheaper, better and arguably more reliable to get a VPS, dedicated server or cloud instance and simply remote in to it?

I honestly fail to see what HP are offering other than a sub-standard VPS slice that's locked out from the desktop and administrative privileges, limited on usage in a given month, rather than it being based on the capacity of "your" slice of hardware?

So unless this is going for < £3 month, no thanks.

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
surely it's cheaper, better and arguably more reliable to get a VPS, dedicated server or cloud instance and simply remote into it?

I honestly fail to see what HP are offering other than a sub-standard VPS slice that's locked out from the desktop and administrative privileges, limited on usage in a given month, rather than it being based on the capacity of "your" slice of hardware?

So unless this is going to < £3 month, no thanks.

I agree with you there. Although there is far more to this than simply having a Windows VPS in the cloud. I actually happen to have a few VPS's in the cloud, including few Windows 2012 R2 running exchange. But to delve further in what you said, i.e. what HP is offering than having your VPS seems to a better-integrated solution - One has a full web interface to manage users, apps, resources used by those apps), along with full continuum like experience. Simply having a Windows cloud VPS will not fix it. Also as this device seems to be geared towards the corporate market, having access to apps (such as CRM apps like Siebel for example in sales) necessitates the use a solution like HP Workspace.

As for the cost, I do not know what that would be. Currently, I have the 60 days trial linked to my corporate account. I will only be able to share the details of the cost once perhaps this trial is over...

I hope this further explains the use of HP Workspace.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
You mentioned it being a continuum experience several times, but that really isn't anything special. A remote desktop application with continuum support still gets it onto the big screen, everything else is managed by continuum. The only thing a continuum application is really doing is adjusting for the screen and being aware of the environmental difference (i.e. on a monitor rather than mobile screen).

Microsoft could have just thrown all applications on continuum, but some of them wouldn't render properly or operate intuitively as they are for phones.

Cost was apparently announced as starting at $49. I can basically get a dedicated server for a whole year at that price. If i go the cloud option I can get a 240 GB Ram instance with 16 2.4Ghz vCores, 500GB Mbps public data line for £35 at 40 hours, and I pay by the hour not month, so If i use 40 hours in 3 months, thats £35 in 3 months. not $147

So as I said, unless you're getting high value software effectively for free, you might as well save yourself some money and buy your own software.

webdave

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
Could you PM or email me a license if you have an extra? I'm looking at testing some Android emulation in HP Workspace.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm also curious about the benefit.

I have not even been approached by HP or my Microsoft TAM about this solution. Given the data are mostly on corporate servers behind beefy firewalls, I am not clear how workspace intends to allow access to apps running locally.

I'm not even thinking of the shadow apps users create in Access or Excel (or FileMaker....) which reside on server shares and aren't even visible to corporate IT.

Curious to see what HP envisioned.

Sent from mTalk

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Okay gave it an initial test today. I spent five minutes on the service. Here's my initial take.

The HP workspace allowed me to login and presented me with IE and Chrome. I was told to wait three minutes until it became available.

3hlQ0EX.jpg

Once in, I had IE running in desktop mode. I also had the Windows Explorer up. The system gave me the ability to add Google Drive or Box as cloud storage repos. However, I could not add OneDrive or OneDrive for Business. (Since we use O365 at work, we all have 1TB of OD4B storage, so most of my work files not in Sharepoint are there.)

I'll have to reserve judgement for now as I'm seeing potential.

7pjsWOm.jpg

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99