I bought a Galaxy Nexus Today

danygandhi

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Sorry friends, i finally had to switch. I bought a Galaxy Nexus for 350$ today. I have succumbed to the choice of apps and features over beauty,elegance and performance. Here are few reasons

1. Rarely updated, Buggy and not feature complete apps
Slacker Radio, ESPN Scorecenter, Twitter......

2. No First party apps
Tennis (US Open, Auatralian, French, Wimbledon)

3. Expensive unimpressive game selection.

3. I grew jealous of my collegues watching live ESPN2 on the android phones through xfinitytv.Especially during Wimbledon and EURO 2012.

4. Windows Live Messenger broke. I gave my girlfriend my samsung focus when i bought Lumia 900. We were able to chat on PC with out any problem for long time until she started using my samsung focus. I stopped receving messages since then and my girlfriend shows up offline most of the time.

5. Skype is unusable without notifications, i cant keep staring at the screen every few mintues.

6. Terrible Yahoo mail support, no server search, cannot sync more than 3 months of email.

7. Terrible noise cancelling bug(samsung focus, lumia 900), i cant use a wired or bluetooth headset while doing anything noisy. Any kind of noise results in fade in and out of voice from other party.

8. And Final nail in the coffin - A meagre 7.8 update

The features i will definitely miss from my lumia

1. Beautiful Music listening Experience

2. Live Tiles

3. Deep App linking Tiles

4. Wordament

I have not tried android yet, but the notion of getting 4.1 Jelly Bean Update in July and a 350$ price point sold me. I will continue to be active in the community, i still love WP but i have decided its not for me for now. I will sure post if i hate android and switch back to WP again.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry friends, i finally had to switch. I bought a Galaxy Nexus for 350$ today. I have succumbed to the choice of apps and features over beauty,elegance and performance. Here are few reasons

1. Rarely updated, Buggy and not feature complete apps
Slacker Radio, ESPN Scorecenter, Twitter......

2. No First party apps
Tennis (US Open, Auatralian, French, Wimbledon)

3. Expensive unimpressive game selection.

3. I grew jealous of my collegues watching live ESPN2 on the android phones through xfinitytv.Especially during Wimbledon and EURO 2012.

4. Windows Live Messenger broke. I gave my girlfriend my samsung focus when i bought Lumia 900. We were able to chat on PC with out any problem for long time until she started using my samsung focus. I stopped receving messages since then and my girlfriend shows up offline most of the time.

5. Skype is unusable without notifications, i cant keep staring at the screen every few mintues.

6. Terrible Yahoo mail support, no server search, cannot sync more than 3 months of email.

7. Terrible noise cancelling bug(samsung focus, lumia 900), i cant use a wired or bluetooth headset while doing anything noisy. Any kind of noise results in fade in and out of voice from other party.

8. And Final nail in the coffin - A meagre 7.8 update

The features i will definitely miss from my lumia

1. Beautiful Music listening Experience

2. Live Tiles

3. Deep App linking Tiles

4. Wordament

I have not tried android yet, but the notion of getting 4.1 Jelly Bean Update in July and a 350$ price point sold me. I will continue to be active in the community, i still love WP but i have decided its not for me for now. I will sure post if i hate android and switch back to WP again.
You need to find out the rest of wp8 features. I bet you that even the minor features will be major.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
you'll be back... i felt the same way and bought a razr maxx... lasted for about a month... lol something about this OS keeps us coming back. there is more to a phone experience than apps.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Good luck, the Nexus is a nice, sexy phone. I had a stint back with Android after my original experience with Windows Phone, and I came back. Just got tired of force closes, having to toggle on/off the wi-fi and bluetooth all the time, and the lag of the whole OS. i'll take WP's less features for a more stable, enjoyable experience.

Congrats on your purchase, you waited for the right time to buy and got a great price!

mberdych

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I made exactly opposite switch. Galaxy Nexus to Lumia 900. No regrets, I feel android is like linux on desktop. Bunch of pieces puzzled together. ICS is much better, but still. Here are my reasons: poor Exchange sync (embedded sucks battery like ****, touchdown is way better, but UI is horrible), stability of apps (never had app crash on WP, many app problems on GN), Zune Pass, Zune Pass, Zune Pass :), GN has horrible audio output (my Bose MIE2 headset sounds much much worse than on Lumia, volume also lower), earpiece on GN much weaker (had issues to hear other side in noisy environment), awesome speakerphone on Lumia (actually incredible), Nokia Drive, Nokia Music and rest of the nice WP7 features (social nets integration, live tiles etc). I am apple guy, but since there is no iPhone with bigger display, Lumia is a great alternative. Only problem is price, since here in Europe, we usually buy for full price. I saw Jelly Bean announcement, but for me ,this is not solving anything.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hope the Nexus works for you... As far as the jelly bean update you haven't spoken to any Nexus S users lately have you? Stock users are still on gingerbread.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Good luck I been thinking of getting a second phone non WP and switch between so congrats and hope to see you back soon

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to hear your thoughts after a few days. I LOVE my Lumia 900 but was intrigued by the Jelly Bean announcement. Since I'll be upgrading to WP8 I was thinking of picking up an unlocked Nexus to see if Jelly Bean is really that good.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
i felt compelled to get the galaxy nexus for about 2 weeks just because of the looks and functionality of android 4.1 and then i realized.
google has no buyable desktop os for power users. i still play the occasional FPS on my desktop and i would like to continue the tradition.
windows 8 and android working together? no it will not happen i need a complete ecosytem to adopt.
galaxy nexus has a worse quality build than most windows phones and my focus.
new nexuses will come out during the holiday but i will hold it off unless windows phone 8 is out of my price range off contract. i will be going on straight talk this july so i will be rocking my focus till then.

i will give this less than a few months till you want a windows phone again. more information will be revealed for windows phone 8 in the distant future.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The only phone that has compelled me to give Android a third glance was the Galaxy S III, but I know Android is better suited for my tablet needs, not on my phone

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
The only phone that has compelled me to give Android a third glance was the Galaxy S III, but I know Android is better suited for my tablet needs, not on my phone

I bought a GS3 last week. It's an amazing device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious to hear your thoughts after a few days. I LOVE my Lumia 900 but was intrigued by the Jelly Bean announcement. Since I'll be upgrading to WP8 I was thinking of picking up an unlocked Nexus to see if Jelly Bean is really that good.

I purchased a Verizon Nexus off of ebay that was already rooted with a custom ROM for Jelly Bean. I'm on Verizon and debated about GSM one off of Google but, after asking around ATT users in my area (which I'd have to switch to), I decided Verizon still is the better service so got the Verizon model even though I didn't get the "official Jelly Bean". The phone is really nice. I like the Nexus. it runs very smooth for me. This was my first ever android phone, so I don't have experience with earlier versions of Android to compare to. If you listen to the "android experts" over at Android Central though, they will all pretty much say, Jelly Bean is a good improvement over even ICS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte