I can't be the only one......

Based_God

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I seriously can't be the only one who hates this phone! Switched from iphone last novmber because I thought it was going to be just amazing and way better than any iphone and it is just horrible. Bugs, lags, apps, call quality, sound quality, streaming quality, (good luck watching an HD youtube video, takes forever to load), crashes all the time! I'm going on 3.5 hours with not being able to use it because when I open it, it freezes and goes to cortana and then back to home screen, then cortana again. The ONLY things that I like are the size and the camera, and even when I try to send videos it looks like it was taken with a 1 megapixel camera. In the past year there have been two software updates and both were poorly developed. (Yes, I'm talking about cortana, they promised it was going to be HUGE and it sucks.)

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I haven't read anyone list all the problems you are experiencing, so maybe you are the only one. However, there are a lot of smart, helpful 1520 users in this forum so you will probably be able to work your way through the problems if that is your desire. Good luck.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Your phone has problems. Might be hardware, or it might be messed up software, probably from an update gone bad. If it's the latter, a hard reset, or better, reinstalling the firmware and OS with the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, should straighten it out. If it's hardware, get it fixed under warranty.

Alternately, blow some cash on another phone, if fixing this one is too much of a hassle. Only you can decide the best way to spend your time and money.

Good luck!

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Factory reset your phone. Done.

Btw you can't send videos. Think about how large they are. You are supposed to store them in the cloud and share a link.

Instead of ******** why not just ask for some help. You'll find most people here want to help.

The 1520 is a very solid phone. It just sounds like a bad update that needs sorting.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
If you would like to be open minded, id suggest restoring your device and seeing if that fixes the issues. Unfortunately for too many people, such a rocky start leaves a bitter unforgettable taste that they simply don't want to think it could actually been better in which case get another iPhone.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I seriously can't be the only one who hates this phone! Switched from iphone last novmber because I thought it was going to be just amazing and way better than any iphone and it is just horrible. Bugs, lags, apps, call quality, sound quality, streaming quality, (good luck watching an HD youtube video, takes forever to load), crashes all the time! I'm going on 3.5 hours with not being able to use it because when I open it, it freezes and goes to cortana and then back to home screen, then cortana again. The ONLY things that I like are the size and the camera, and even when I try to send videos it looks like it was taken with a 1 megapixel camera. In the past year there have been two software updates and both were poorly developed. (Yes, I'm talking about cortana, they promised it was going to be HUGE and it sucks.)

Let's take it item by item...

1) Bugs/lags/apps - no detail here whatsoever, be specific

2) Call quality/sound quality - again, no specifics given, both are as good or better than most of the phones I've had, so either you have a hardware problem or unrealistic expectations. For all we know (due to no details given), this could be your Bluetooth headset or headphones...

3) Youtube - Using a browser or an app (ex.- Metrotube)? How fast is your connection? "Taking forever to load" sounds like a connection speed issue, but if you're in the browser try an app like Metrotube and see if your problem gets better

4) 3.5 hours/crash/cortana/WhateverTheHell - "3.5 hours not being able to use IT" What exactly is "it" here? The phone in general? Cortana? Your explanation doesn't give any detail about what you're trying to do. If you're phone is totally freezing, you may well have hardware issue. Factory reset, make sure you have the latest updates, try again, and then RMA your phone if needed

5) "Sending" video - As someone else said above, "sending" video isn't exactly a one size fits all kind of thing. How are you "sending" it? MMS? Facebook? Uploading to some other service? Video files are huge, so you're not going to be sending video of any quality from phone to phone directly. Let it sync up to your Skydrive, and send the link to someone if you want the best quality video. Make sure your settings are such that the video quality is set to "best"

I understand the knee jerk reaction to complain, but either you want help, or you just want to vent. If you want the former, explain your situation and ask for help. If you want the latter, stick to youtube comments, twitter, and FB :)

Last edited:

Based_God

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
You all are extremely correct, I should have been more specific. Ok so yesterday (and starting again now) the phone will flicker, then will be unresponsive. It will jump from different apps, and then open cortana all by its self. At this time I have to soft reset in order to gain functions, but a few minutes later the same thing happens. It was doing it for 4 hours yesterday, so I gave up and turned the phone off. It was off for about 5-10 minutes THEN it turned its self on! (yea kind freaked me out)

As far as other things I mentioned, when I use netflix, youtube (through browser) or the youtube HD app the quality is horrible, and if I try to play in HD the loading times are unbearable. I live in the Chicago land area and always have a good connection. So I always have to watch them on low quality so there will be no buffer, but then I can barely see whats in the video.

I LOVED this phone at first, and I REALLY wanted to keep loving this phone and stay with it. Maybe because I purchased it in the first week after launch the bugs arent all out but idk. it just seems like more hardware/ server issues than anything.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it just seems like more hardware/ server issues than anything.

This here is likely to be the issue here. If the problems you described were common to the phone and to the software, then everyone would be complaining about the same issues, the reviews you read would have mentioned this, and it's doubtful the handset would still be on sale.

Sometimes the software does go out of whack and a hard reset resolves it, sometimes there's just bad hardware. The stuttering you're getting might also be phone related (if there's a runaway process on the phone, other things may lag).

I realise that venting may make you feel better in the short term, but addressing the issues at hand can be more productive.

Back up your stuff, perform a hard reset, and see how things go.

If things are still bad, refer back to your retailer and ask for a warranty replacement. There are very many happy owners of this phone, myself included.

Based_God

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yea, seems to me that MY phone has too many issues/problems for it to be a "common" problem. It's just extremely frustrating becuase this has been going on for months. I just assumed that it was common, but then I started to read reviews and was confused why no one was having the same problems. I'll try the hard reset tonight and update.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, hopefully the reset will cure at least some of the issues you're getting (maybe all). It's not unknown for there to be digitizer issues that require a repair/replacement.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it a Nokia Lumia 1520? No where on this forum do I see you say "my Lumia 1520."

Except for the fact this thread was posted in the 1520 section of the forum, Based_god also referred to the size, which is a defining feature of the Lumia 1520. Seemed a reasonable assumption to me.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
wow - it took almost a year to figure all that out - patience of steel... eep - all those issues, I would have returned it/exchanged it/flushed it :) certainly not common issue with that beast of a phone

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
You all are extremely correct, I should have been more specific. Ok so yesterday (and starting again now) the phone will flicker, then will be unresponsive. It will jump from different apps, and then open cortana all by its self. At this time I have to soft reset in order to gain functions, but a few minutes later the same thing happens. It was doing it for 4 hours yesterday, so I gave up and turned the phone off. It was off for about 5-10 minutes THEN it turned its self on! (yea kind freaked me out)

As far as other things I mentioned, when I use netflix, youtube (through browser) or the youtube HD app the quality is horrible, and if I try to play in HD the loading times are unbearable. I live in the Chicago land area and always have a good connection. So I always have to watch them on low quality so there will be no buffer, but then I can barely see whats in the video.

I LOVED this phone at first, and I REALLY wanted to keep loving this phone and stay with it. Maybe because I purchased it in the first week after launch the bugs arent all out but idk. it just seems like more hardware/ server issues than anything.

Ok I just stopped reading after THE PHONE FLICKERS... The phone SHOULDN'T FLICKER, it is a hardware problem that needs to be fixed or replaced. If you know someone that can dismantle your 1520 and check all the connections and thermals are working properly then I suggest talking to them. If not then you could always use the warranty to get a replacement that will surely not have any of the problems you've posted.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe you can live with so many troubles and issues for months... There shouldn't be any phone (or any other electric devices) can have so many troubles and consider 'em as normal. If I were you, that phone would be sent back for warranty or replacement long ago...

corey_blackstock

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I feel sorry for your problem and I believe your phone is a defective unit.. I've been using this phone for six months now, beside the mediocre apps quality, it's certainly an amazing phone with outstanding battery life.
Sent from my yellow Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Based_God

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes it IS the 1520, and honestly it did not start to do the flickering thing until cyan update. so maybe a few months? It doesnt happen every day, it will go a few days without doing it, but I'm going on day 4 of non stop flickering and unresponsiveness. Litterally every 2-3 minutes I will have to soft reset. It has never been THIS bad. Never dropped or anything. But yes, I've noticed the other problems from day 1 and assumed since it was a new phone they had bugs to work out, and just always checked for software updates.

I might not like apple because they sell the same S**T over, and over again but they DO know how to produce a good phone/ software. I just assumed they would always roll out updates (like apple) to constantly fix issues and bugs.

I was going to do a restore yesterday but when I got home my fiance took me out to dinner. (shes romantic like that lol) and then I totally forgot about it. (didnt use it for the rest of the day). So today I will either go to ATT or restore. Think I might just go straight to ATT to get a brand new one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard