I give up. Has anybody got Build 10041 installed on HP Stream 7?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So the most recent build of Windows 10 has finally given the ability to update from a compressed OS, so I figured I would install it to my HP Stream 7. The problem is that no matter what I do, I can't get the preview to install to it. I've tried to update it via Windows Update, I've tried an ISO, I've tried booting it from a USB OTG stick and it keeps installing halfway, then quitting.

Has anyone else had these problems, and if so, how did you fix them?

Last edited:

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have problem downloading, but when installing! The update itself erased my whole PC! No operating system on board says! Really! I'll repair my PC tomorrow trough the Bios!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have problem downloading, but when installing! The update itself erased my whole PC! No operating system on board says! Really! I'll repair my PC tomorrow trough the Bios!

How did you try installing it? From ISO or through Windows Update? Mine fails halfway through every time.

Alexis-1991

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
It happen to me too when I was trying to update my laptop 💻 to the lasted windows 10 update, that's because I only had like 8gb on my ssd hard drive, so I formatted it and was able to installed it.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to install Windows 10 on my Stream 7 via the Windows Update method. Mine's been installing really slowly, like about 2 or 3% an hour. It's been almost a full 12 hours now and I'm only at 30%. I think I'm going to let it run all day too, but this isn't boding well.

The initial Windows Update download and pre-setup worked fine. But after the system booted into the Windows 10 installer with the big circle in the middle was when the slowdown really occurred.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Make sure that there isn't any other updates on the update list. Hide everything else and just update the 10041.. Also connect with the Ethernet connection dont download via wifi. I had a similar problem and after 10 hrs download was successful.

Also switch over to the slow ring.

Last edited:

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Make sure that there isn't any other updates on the update list. Hide everything else and just update the 10041.. Also connect with the Ethernet connection dont download via wifi. I had a similar problem and after 10 hrs download was successful.

Also switch over to the slow ring.

Thanks for the info! The only thing is I'm updating from 8.1 to 10, so I can't adjust the ring setting just yet (but I believe by default it installs into the slow ring). It was the only update available as well. The only thing that I haven't tried is ethernet yet. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on an adapter.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to install Windows 10 on my Stream 7 via the Windows Update method. Mine's been installing really slowly, like about 2 or 3% an hour. It's been almost a full 12 hours now and I'm only at 30%. I think I'm going to let it run all day too, but this isn't boding well.

The initial Windows Update download and pre-setup worked fine. But after the system booted into the Windows 10 installer with the big circle in the middle was when the slowdown really occurred.

Same for me too. It went to 6% pretty quickly, then it grinded to a halt. Idk what it's at now, but when I left the house, it was also at 30%.

Also, I can confirm that storage was the issue. Once I cleared everything out, it was able to update, but its still stick at the install screen.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So I can't get it to go past 30%. It just sits there.

Normally, its suppose to restart at 30% and switch from the second part to the third part. I tried to restart it and now it just reinstalls Windows 8.1. Anyone have any luck?

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well this shaped up to be a horrible decision overall. I never got the install to complete, so I just cut the power off halfway. I used the USB recovery media to attempt to reset my Stream back to the factory state. The problem is that the recovery process also resets the Bitlocker encryption. The recovery completed, but now everytime I try to boot my Stream, I get a message from the BIOS saying that a request to clear Bitlocker's TPM was made, and I can either choose yes to accept it or no to decline. The problem is that there's no touch controls for this screen, so I can't do anything.

I ended up ordering an OTG adapter so I can plug a keyboard into the Stream and pick an option. But this was a stupid oversight on HP's part to leave out touch controls from boot screen prompts like this. Until that arrives, my tablet is basically a brick...

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
That it pretty stupid not to include touch in bios....i would download win 10,then make an install USB stick....and after I get keyboard hooked up,install win 10 from usb

BrayMatter

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what's up with mine. Goes through the motions fine. Downloads fine; installs (in windows update) fine. Then I accept the agreement to start upgrade, it thinks for a bit, says restart required, so I choose to and then it looks as though an update is trying to complete, but doesn't. Then it just reboots and it boots into 8.1 as per normal.

Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb