I think Nokia and Microsoft have blown it

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
First of all I'll get this out of the way: The Lumia 920 is a great piece of hardware and I think the PureView technology will blow many people away... if they get to see it.
But we're now in September, just one week before the iPhone 5 reveal. What was there today to keep people interested beyond WPCentral readers who are already sold on Windows Phone?
There was no full OS reveal, no date, no price, no carrier availability, just the promise of great hardware.
When the iPhone 5 is announced next week, all of the above will be addressed and within an hour people will be placing preorders. Why doesn't Microsoft get it? Why not give people amazing incentive to not preoder an iPhone (again, people who don't read WPCentral)?
Am I completely crazy here?

Last edited:

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
And also, with all this talk about camera and camera features I was expecting Instagram to be announced as a "one more thing" but no. For public perception, having a great camera is great but also having Instagram is better.

Shark87

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, that is exactly what disappointed me about all of this. Thanks to the leaks the handsets themselves weren't a big surprise (I do like them though), but the fact that there was nothing about the OS and absolutely nothing about availability and pricing? Just crushing. I honestly didn't see the point of it being a joint event with Microsoft if there was so little information from Microsoft it self.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
First of all I'll get this out of the way: The Lumia 920 is a great piece of hardware and I think the PureView technology will blow many people away... if they get to see it.
But we're now in September, just one week before the iPhone 5 reveal. What was there today to keep people interested beyond WPCentral readers who are already sold on Windows Phone?
There was not full OS reveal, no date, no price, no carrier availability, just the promise of great hardware.
When the iPhone 5 is announced next week, all of the above will be addressed and within an hour people will be placing preorders. Why doesn't Microsoft get it? Why not give people amazing incentive to not preoder an iPhone (again, people who don't read WPCentral)?
Am I completely crazy here?

I agree as there was a lot left out, but....shhhh....you can't say stuff like that around here...

Last edited:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree to an extent that the announcement felt underwhelming, but those that are going to buy the next iphone would buy regardless of what was announced today.

Also, why would you take pictures from a great camera like that and ruin them with crappy instagram effects? The less instagram pictures out there the better.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Errr, come on. Wireless charging, super sensitive touch screen, sunlight reading enhancements. This is a huge upgrade, what will iPhone have? Navigation and a extra row of icons ? And maybe NFC as well.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I see your point, but I don't think they've blown it. I do agree that they should've divulged more information as to dates and stuff, but I don't think that's a blown save. Most ppl that will buy an iPhone are already set in their ways. Either they like it or they don't. I don't feel iPhone has enough innovation to simply keep everyone happy. Progress for WP will be steady and not the eruption you think it should be. Based on what I saw at that event, Nokia is cooking up a pretty beefy stew.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
While I wasn't necessarily surprised with most of what was announced due to most of it being leaked, I thought all the extras announced for the camera were innovative. There isn't anything really innovative in bringing Instagram to WP8. It doesn't differentiate from the other OSes.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Also, why would you take pictures from a great camera like that and ruin them with crappy instagram effects? The less instagram pictures out there the better.
Oh yeah I'm with you on that but people are crazy. They want a great camera but they still want to have Instagram on their phone to ruin their pictures. But people do love that app a lot so you can't ignore that.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
This event isnt for the likes of people who are frequent viewers of sites that follow this stuff. This was a major press event that will get coverage from traditional outlets. When the everyday consumer goes to find a new product they will read how this compares with the IPhone and whatever premium android device is out there in their local paper. Already USA Today is covering Nokia so that is good branding, and then there will be a launch event with even more publlicity followed by a marketing splash. This is a good thing

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I see your point, but I don't think they've blown it. I do agree that they should've divulged more information as to dates and stuff, but I don't think that's a blown save. Most ppl that will buy an iPhone are already set in their ways. Either they like it or they don't. I don't feel iPhone has enough innovation to simply keep everyone happy. Progress for WP will be steady and not the eruption you think it should be. Based on what I saw at that event, Nokia is cooking up a pretty beefy stew.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

I think many iPhone users are bored of it but fail to switch to something else because other OSes are not compelling enough in their eyes. All they need is a good reason and they didn't get that today.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This event isnt for the likes of people who are frequent viewers of sites that follow this stuff.
Well that's my point exactly. People who come here know that WP8 should launch around October 29th and they know that AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon are on board. But the average consumer doesn't know that. The average consumer wants a date, a price, a carrier availability. All they know after today is that Nokia is working on a new phone, that's not enough.

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I thought the show today was incredibly underwhelming. The market may agree as well, as shares of Nokia (on the US exchange) are down 12% for the day, last I looked.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Rather like announcing the Surface waaay back in June and then watching the Nexus 7, iPad mini and Kindle Fire 2 beat them to launch.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree in part to the sentiment here, keep an eye out for what could be a pretty heated discussion on our next podcast...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Maybe they are holding some info to release after the iPhone event? Or perhaps for the Helsinki store reopening on 9/7? Seems odd that you would open a store with wares that are obsolete, per today's 820/920 announcement.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade and would have been happy to pre-order the Nokia 920 today. I was disappointed to see there was no such option.

I have to agree with the OP, Apple will likely cover all the bases with their announcement and also offer pre-orders.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I was underwhelmed by the overall design, the 920 does not look that much different than the Lumia 900. But then I looked over the specs, and yes, I was impressed, and blown away, and will be buying one. If a device like the 920 cannot pull people away from their iPhone, then nothing will, so forget those people, they would never switch anyway. I can see how this will appeal to a lot of people though. I know I know... a lot of people just gotta have Instagram... but I think its more important to have a killer camera that people can use to send photos to grandma with, to take shots of little billy while he is playing at the baseball game... things like that.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree, after having gotten half decent cams in the phones I practically stopped using my DSLR and my compact shooter, yet my photo collection has grown a bit boring since the phone cam is not up to par yet. This is the main reason that I'm already craving this beauty. That and the wireless charging ;)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss