I used Media Creation tool to upgrade. My serial number is the same as RTM??

Corvusco

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I have posted also on reddit but now it's crazy because you get a new post every second.

I have upgraded to Windows 10 on 2 PCs using the Media Creation tool and i didn't do a clean install, i selected to upgrade and to keep my files and apps so it is just like using the reserve method.
After installation i got this small software: ProduKey from nirsoft dot net
When i check the Serial Key for Windows 10 on my PCs they all end in 3V66T which is a generic Windows key. But both of them are activated.

This is present on 2 of the PCs i upgraded with Media Creation and the same serial number is present on my laptop which has the Insider Preview version and my other Intel NUC where i have a different user

What serial number do you have? How did you install Windows 10? Reserve or Media Creation?

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the same serial yes (can see the ending in properties of My computer). How are we supposed to do a clean install?

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the same serial yes (can see the ending in properties of My computer). How are we supposed to do a clean install?

How are you seeing the ending in properties of My Computer? Are you talking about the System properties from the Control Panel? I don't see any product key on that page, but I see a Product ID.

tbhCKR

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I've got the same key on build 10240 upgraded from Windows 7 Pro on my Lenovo ThinkPad X230.
Regarding clean install I found this: lifehacker[dot]com/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-1720775893
I don't really trust it and I have no idea what's going to happen when I want to upgrade my SSD in August 2016. Do I have to reinstall Windows 7? Will I be able to install Windows 10 again on that SSD?

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
How are you seeing the ending in properties of My Computer? Are you talking about the System properties from the Control Panel? I don't see any product key on that page, but I see a Product ID.

I see the last characters only in the window to activate it, and it is 3V66T. I never used any beta of Windows 10 on my pc or an RTM or something, this is the first time. Why do many people have this serial too?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
For everyone here with this problem:

1) Under Settings / Update & Security / Activation , does it say "Windows is Activated"?
2) Under Settings / Accounts / Your Account , does it say you are signed in to your verified Microsoft Account?
3) Open an elevated command prompt and type "sfc /scannow". Does that confirm that your system is in a consistent state?

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
For everyone here with this problem:

1) Under Settings / Update & Security / Activation , does it say "Windows is Activated"?
2) Under Settings / Accounts / Your Account , does it say you are signed in to your verified Microsoft Account?
3) Open an elevated command prompt and type "sfc /scannow". Does that confirm that your system is in a consistent state?

1) Yes...Activated
2) Yes...signed into my MS account
3) sfc found no issues

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Well then, everything is as it should be.

We don't understand why Windows has chosen to locally store generic keys rather than the upgraded keys, but there is nothing wrong with your installation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte