iCloud Sync?

STM 69

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an oPhone 4 that is due for an upgrade. Trying to decide between the iPhone 5 & Lumia 920; I realize there's been very limited hands-on info about the Lumia (especially anything that doesn't involve the camera), but hoping someone may have tried this with a WP7 device & had some success.

Everyone in my family has iPhones - like (I assume) may families, we have several calendars that we try to keep current among everyone with kids' sports schedules, parents schedules, etc. Currently everything is on iCloud, so it all syncs nicely.

I've gotten bored with the iPhone & was disappointed to see no ;oak screen notifications in iOS6, so for these & other reasons I'm considering the 920 - problem is that I need to find some way to get my iCloud calendars (I don't use iCloud contacts & I already know how to include mail if I want it) into Outlook & WP8.

Any one have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
As far as I am aware, Apple has not opened the iCloud APIs to 3rd party developers, and hasn't developed anything for Windows Phone (only full Windows OS).

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Importing calendars from iCloud to Windows Live/Hotmail is not easy. Apparently, you cannot even create a local copy.

That's part of the danger of going for a bite of Apple services -- once you're dependent, you're locked in and it's hard to uproot and move on.

Fortunately, it looks like you can import it into Google Calendar, which IS supported by Windows Phone. Here's a YouTube link:

Import iCloud calendar - YouTube

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Like these guys have said, I don't think it is easy to port your iCloud Calendar data to another service, but WP7 has full support for shared calendars. I use my Live address and any calendar entry that I put in that needs more than one attendee, I simply add members and when they accept, it gets added to their calendars.

I also use Outlook to manage my calendars on my PC, which of course syncs up perfectly. I can also use the web UI at microsoft account to do the same if I'm not on my home machine. It is just as capable, if not more so, but I doubt it will be as clean. Meaning that it does require a tad of manual intervention (ie. inviting people to calendar events), but other than that, seamless.

STM 69

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Importing calendars from iCloud to Windows Live/Hotmail is not easy. Apparently, you cannot even create a local copy.

That's part of the danger of going for a bite of Apple services -- once you're dependent, you're locked in and it's hard to uproot and move on.

Fortunately, it looks like you can import it into Google Calendar, which IS supported by Windows Phone. Here's a YouTube link:

Import iCloud calendar - YouTube

That's Lylify, but I get the idea. Looks like I can do just about the same thing with Outlook.com (fmr Hotmail) calendar as I was with iCloud. Can't port it over but can just start use as of the date I get the phone.

Thanks all-

Posted from My Mobile App

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
My wife just came into a similar situation. Her nephew is expecting their first baby and will be posting pics all over iCloud periodically since their grandparents have iJunk. Is there a back door way for her to be able to sync those photo's to her 8X? I'm downloading iCloud to my PC in hopes I can sync copies to OneNote. Any ideas?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind. I just realized that you need to first setup iCloud via iOS account. And it's not accessible via the web. Stupid hipster software.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My wife just came into a similar situation. Her nephew is expecting their first baby and will be posting pics all over iCloud periodically since their grandparents have iJunk. Is there a back door way for her to be able to sync those photo's to her 8X? I'm downloading iCloud to my PC in hopes I can sync copies to OneNote. Any ideas?

Not sure what the goal is here. Surely the nephew posting to iCloud can just share those through a shared web link or post to Facebook for friends to see etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel