ICON Roll Call

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Just came back from the Windows store. I was heavily discouraged from turning in my defective (but usable) 928 because the 929 is "right around the corner, despite another recent delay."

Without saying it, the manager seemed convinced it was about 2-5 weeks away.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Just came back from the Windows store. I was heavily discouraged from turning in my defective (but usable) 928 because the 929 is "right around the corner, despite another recent delay."

Without saying it, the manager seemed convinced it was about 2-5 weeks away.

Funny, I was in a VZW store last night asking to see the Lumia 2520 tablet when the 929/Icon came up in conversation. The staff member commented on the accessories already being available to order and he expected (which means nothing, I know) the phone in another 2 weeks.

rbzane

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I dropped by the Microsoft Store and Verizon Kiosk at the local mall this weekend. The Microsoft Rep mentioned the possibility of a new version of the 928. The Verizon Rep had obviously been drinking the company Kool-Aid, "I haven't heard anything about a 929. Check the Verizon Wireless Website for any Windows Phones we offer." I commented on the vast array of Verizon's 3 Windows Phone offerings and put my dead Motorola Razr back in my pocket (after 26 months of ownership, I now get about 4 hours of battery life so if I'm not near an outlet all day, the phone is practically useless to me).

jcren3

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, this is my first post but I have been quietly following the 929 rumors since October. Wife and I are in Cincinnati,Ohio and have been waiting to switch from Sprint to Verizon (for network quality reasons). I started with the original IPhone, have been with android a handful of years, and am now ready for the windows phone. So.. This week came and we can wait no longer to switch. At my local VZW store, the wife loves her iPhone so got the new one.. U guys really are right about the SERIOUS lack of love for the Nokia line. In the entire store (large store) 1 Nokia phone on display and 1 Nokia tablet on display...neither with power or ability to demo in any way. There are at least 4-5 displays of every android and iOS. Surprisingly, my salesman was impressed with my vast knowledge of the 929/icon and what is holding it up (tip of the hat to all of you gentleman for all the info) and he not only acknowledged it but we had a nice little convorsation about it. His rep said Verizon's next Nokia phone will be a phablet with the Icon releasing after. His opinion was end of Q1release (he stressed that was just his opinion). So, there u have it...search for the White Buffalo continues. I decided to go with the 928 on an Edge plan. Seemed like the best of my choices..bcs I will own this damn phone one day.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, this is my first post but I have been quietly following the 929 rumors since October. Wife and I are in Cincinnati,Ohio and have been waiting to switch from Sprint to Verizon (for network quality reasons). I started with the original IPhone, have been with android a handful of years, and am now ready for the windows phone. So.. This week came and we can wait no longer to switch. At my local VZW store, the wife loves her iPhone so got the new one.. U guys really are right about the SERIOUS lack of love for the Nokia line. In the entire store (large store) 1 Nokia phone on display and 1 Nokia tablet on display...neither with power or ability to demo in any way. There are at least 4-5 displays of every android and iOS. Surprisingly, my salesman was impressed with my vast knowledge of the 929/icon and what is holding it up (tip of the hat to all of you gentleman for all the info) and he not only acknowledged it but we had a nice little convorsation about it. His rep said Verizon's next Nokia phone will be a phablet with the Icon releasing after. His opinion was end of Q1release (he stressed that was just his opinion). So, there u have it...search for the White Buffalo continues. I decided to go with the 928 on an Edge plan. Seemed like the best of my choices..bcs I will own this damn phone one day.

Don't go to a Verizon store for yourself. Go to the Microsoft store in Kenwood. They'll take infinitely better care of you, and their $99 for 2 year insurance policy is much better than Verizon's policy. It's cheaper, it doesn't involve refurbs, and you can get a new phone within minutes, whereas Verizon will make you wait for one to be shipped from a central location if they don't have refurbs in the store.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I am still undecided about the Lumia Icon. I currently have the Lumia 928 and have been going back and forth, if it will be worth going from the 928 to the 929. One rumored spec I haven't seen or maybe have missed is LTE-A. The 928 has the capability once Nokia turns it on with an update. Has anyone read anything regarding the Lumia Icon having the LTE-A feature?

EDIT: And for those that are photography experts, how much of a difference would there be between the Xenon flash and dual-LED?

Last edited:

JDThird

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm just hoping that with the purported leak of their test webpage, it's finally getting close... As a techie, it's killing me that I am waiting to see if Lenovo hits their ship date for my new computer at the same time I'm waiting to see if Verizon gives me the chance to finally dump my iPhone... I'm getting impatient on two different fronts and a little twitchy... ;)

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I would find it hard to believe a phablet would be released before the Icon, unless we are looking at Verizon simply putting up their own variant of the 1520. I am personally still holding out for the Icon for myself but, we have 5 lines and 3 have already been filled with Android devices because of the wait. I'm sure MS/Nokia have plenty of customers but in an environment where market share is so critical to their 2014 business plan - the anecdotal evidence of lost sales begins to add up to something real eventually. With the Galaxy S5 rumor mill heating up and historical evidence that Samsung can at least execute a release more competently over all carriers, our "flagship" device is gonna end up drowning in the media hype. And maybe my last two lines end up without Windows Phone... Again. Tick tock.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have discovered that the display on the 928 is dull and very off-white when compared to the Apple 5s and a white balance card.
Yeah, it's the first thing I noticed about the 928 in side-by-side comparison to my wife's 8X. The 928 screen is meh even after the color balancing and brightness changes.

Grimroid

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm just hoping that with the purported leak of their test webpage, it's finally getting close... As a techie, it's killing me that I am waiting to see if Lenovo hits their ship date for my new computer at the same time I'm waiting to see if Verizon gives me the chance to finally dump my iPhone... I'm getting impatient on two different fronts and a little twitchy... ;)

JDThird,

I am with you. I am very impatient to get my hands on the 929(or Icon). I have been counting the days (there is an app for that) to drop my Galaxy S3. I am so over android and Google.

Grim

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I saw a rumor on another site today about a potential, 5.2" Lumia 1820 this year. The rumor listed it as a device set for March, and it trumps the 929/Icon in just about every way. I would really, really be disappointed if history repeated itself with Verizon and the Icon were launched just a couple of months before other carriers are set to receive the high end from the next generation.

anon(5343177)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Haha rumors, rumors. If that happens you can always take t mobile's deal and switch. The 929 looks like it should be functional for a while to me. I am unconcerned about the 1820 and just hoping the icon/929 actually materializes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I saw a rumor on another site today about a potential, 5.2" Lumia 1820 this year. The rumor listed it as a device set for March, and it trumps the 929/Icon in just about every way. I would really, really be disappointed if history repeated itself with Verizon and the Icon were launched just a couple of months before other carriers are set to receive the high end from the next generation.

Don't worry - if this is true, Verizon will have it next January, and will discount it for when all the 928 users' contract ends!

Yay.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

I see why a lot of people would feel that way. But considering I will never leave Verizon unless things south, I don't really get too upset about things like that. If the 929/Icon is going to be the best WP8 out on Verizon, then I'm getting it without hesitation. Getting upset about what other carriers get will do me no good.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I see why a lot of people would feel that way. But considering I will never leave Verizon unless things south, I don't really get too upset about things like that. If the 929/Icon is going to be the best WP8 out on Verizon, then I'm getting it without hesitation. Getting upset about what other carriers get will do me no good.

Very wise and mature of you. On some level, I know the same is true for me as Verizon's network has been extremely solid for my family for many years. On the other hand, as a technology geek, I sometimes can't help but let my less rational human emotions show.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Very wise and mature of you. On some level, I know the same is true for me as Verizon's network has been extremely solid for my family for many years. On the other hand, as a technology geek, I sometimes can't help but let my less rational human emotions show.

Haha I haven't always been like that. I've vented on reps before for their poor selection, or their damn insistence on waiting months before releasing what others already have had out (except for Samsung or Apple products, those seem to come out first). But their service is so damn reliable I can't help but stay.

As far as the Icon goes, its sounds like its an upgrade over the 928 in just about every area, save for maybe the flash. I know its not 40MP, but I'll gladly take a 20MP Nokia Camera over a 8.7MP, just as an example. I think we'll all calm down and enjoy our Icons once we get them in our hands ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb