ICON Roll Call

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I just looked up in-store pickup availability for 5 stores in my area...and none have the Icon. I'm hoping that is just because they haven't filled the database with stores that have stock because it's still early?

Jeremy Lebens

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Same here! Think I'm going to try the Microsoft Store and another Verizon store that's super close to it and if I have no luck I'll just order online with overnight shipping.

Jeremy Lebens

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed that if I try doing store pickup for the White one on Verizon's site I get none available. But if I change it to the black one I get 4 stores.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed that if I try doing store pickup for the White one on Verizon's site I get none available. But if I change it to the black one I get 4 stores.

Ugh, that's not good news. Especially since I was leaning toward white. Guess I'll be ordering online if they don't have white in stock at my local store today.
EDIT: Mine says no white or black versions still at any store. Womp womp :(

Jeremy Lebens

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I went to a store to check out the demo unit and ended up leaving with a black version. I wanted the white one more, but I took the day off of work to get the phone and if I ordered white online I'd have to pay for shipping and wait a few more days, so I just went with black.

Looks nicer in person.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just picked mine up. An upgrade from an HTC 8X.

Still getting a feel for it. Definitely bigger (as expected). The screen is STUNNING. As dopey as this sounds, the size helps me type much better since my fat fingers don't mistype like they did on the comparatively tiny 8X.

Just took my first picture with it. Zoomed in like a BOSS. The picture is also STUNNING.

Starting to fall in love...

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I got mine today in black. The nearest store had several blacks and one white in stock. In person I realized the white is only white on the sides and back, so I felt the black looks better. Love it so far. My charging plates also came in from AT&T! :)

sethman916

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Just picked mine up. Replaced a LG G2. So far so good. really like this phone. Will be a learning curve with WP8. I think the only thing that is going to be hard is the lack of apps. I know my honeywell wifi thermostat doesnt have a WP app. Not much of an issue as I'm moving out of this house in 7 weeks. Really jumped on this phone for the camera as my smart phone is my primary camera for taking pix of my son.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Picked mine up today at corp. store. chose the white over the black I think it shows the design better. On a side note the Icon display was horrible. It was mixed in with the moto x phones & the white demo unit was actually a white 928. the windows phones were the only phones that didn't have their in-store demo running. The reps of course were clueless about the phone & asked me why I wanted it. MS has A LOT of work to do, I mean a ton.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
So went to the store to have my 928 looked at. The flash stopped working and after trying every setting I could, I decided to go have it looked at. Didn't realize the Icon came out today. So, the salesperson tries all the settings on my 928 and agrees that the flash is gone. I tell him to go ahead and order a replacement 928 (still have warranty on it). He goes "Have you seen the new Icon?" This was a surprise to me in a couple of ways, first, this store is usually completely clueless to Windows Phone. I had to let them know when the 928 was coming out. The salesperson was genuinely excited about the Icon and assured me I'd like it. He knew all about it not having Glance, but knew about the upgraded processor, screen resolution, etc. I had to look around and make sure I was in the right store.

Secondly, they had it in stock and in both colors. Totally out of character. Anyway, after playing with the store model and seeing both the gorgeous screen and the butter smoothness (my 928 seemed butter smooth, didn't think it could get much smoother, but I was wrong), I walked out with a new Icon (black). The final price was essentially an extra $3/month and I can upgrade to the newest thing in a year. Very nice phone.

The only thing that really sucks is no Glance, but that's already been beaten to death and that WP8 backup won't backup app data, so my son and I lose our progress in most games. Curious to see how well the battery does. My 928 was actually pretty good, so I'm expecting to be happy with this.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I got the Lumia Icon for my cousin's 18-year birthday. He, his sister, and dad all got Apple Telephones last year around this same time and I was a bit bummed about that because I've always pushed the Microsoft ecosystem to them, i.e. getting his sister a Zune 4 and a Windows PC.

This past weekend I asked his sister whether she thinks he would want a tablet or a phone better. I had been pretty set about getting him a phone but then I saw that the recent 8" tablets were half the price of a phone and I was having second thoughts. She told me he would probably want a tablet more because he likes his Apple Telephone and wouldn't want a Windows Phone which she knows I would get for him.

So then I jokingly asked her if the Apple Telephone was driving him crazy yet, and she responded "It's not driving him crazy. It's just that his screen is cracked and both his cameras take horrible pics." Immediately I made the decision to get him the phone so that 1) He doesn't have a cracked screen phone anymore, and 2) He can take amazing photos with the Lumia PureView.

So I did my pre-order this past weekend and today morning I went to pick it up in white and get the wireless charger also. His birthday is next Friday so I think I'm going to play around with it this weekend and send it on Monday so that he gets it by Friday (we live in the same state so it should get there in 2-3 days max). Hopefully he will grow to like and prefer it over the Fruityphone.

P.S. I myself have the AT&T 1020. I was surprised at how similar the size of the Icon is than the 1020 and would be tempted to get it but I love my 1020's camera grip with tripod mount too much to let it go.

Maanasee Deshmukh

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I got the Lumia Icon for my cousin's 18-year birthday. He, his sister, and dad all got Apple Telephones last year around this same time and I was a bit bummed about that because I've always pushed the Microsoft ecosystem to them, i.e. getting his sister a Zune 4 and a Windows PC.

This past weekend I asked his sister whether she thinks he would want a tablet or a phone better. I had been pretty set about getting him a phone but then I saw that the recent 8" tablets were half the price of a phone and I was having second thoughts. She told me he would probably want a tablet more because he likes his Apple Telephone and wouldn't want a Windows Phone which she knows I would get for him.

So then I jokingly asked her if the Apple Telephone was driving him crazy yet, and she responded "It's not driving him crazy. It's just that his screen is cracked and both his cameras take horrible pics." Immediately I made the decision to get him the phone so that 1) He doesn't have a cracked screen phone anymore, and 2) He can take amazing photos with the Lumia PureView.

So I did my pre-order this past weekend and today morning I went to pick it up in white and get the wireless charger also. His birthday is next Friday so I think I'm going to play around with it this weekend and send it on Monday so that he gets it by Friday (we live in the same state so it should get there in 2-3 days max). Hopefully he will grow to like and prefer it over the Fruityphone.

P.S. I myself have the AT&T 1020. I was surprised at how similar the size of the Icon is than the 1020 and would be tempted to get it but I love my 1020's camera grip with tripod mount too much to let it go.

its so nice to see people taking efforts to shift the Apple and Android crowd over to the Windows ecosystem ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
The guy that helped me at the VZW store here in N.W Arkansas wasn't too knowledgeable about windows phone but was more than willing to help me get set up. During that time another employee came over to show off the icon he just bought for himself and was delighted to see me picking up one as well. Had a slight chat about the phone. Overall, couldn't be happier. It really is hit and miss. Oh, and mine is black.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss