If you want W10M to succeed, stop reading technology websites

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Ignorance is bliss.

There is not a single tech site on the web that doesn't have something negative to say about Windows Mobile. Every one of them is full of stories about how the platform is dying, the user base is shrinking, apps are being pulled, etc.

But here's the rub....there are millions and millions of windows phone users out there who have no idea about these problems.

They use their phones to send email and messages, take calls, surf the net, play games, watch movies and listen to music.

The majority are using older nokia devices and are blissfully unaware of the underlying state of Microsoft's mobile problems. Their devices work and that's good enough for them.

I deal with a few construction firms that are using windows phones. These are big companies with thousands of employees. They're not put off by the constant u-turns, misinformation, lies and downright radio silence from Microsoft. The phones work and they have cupboards full of them. The devices work just fine.

The point is that your phone works fine. It switches on. You can do stuff with it...more stuff than you can ever have dreamt possible just a few years ago.

The only place you're going to hear negative stuff about your choice of device is on tech news sites.

In 7 years of windows phone use no one has ever stopped me in the street or at a party or in the office and said "oh what are you using? It's crap. Don't you know that Microsoft break promises and your phone is pointless!" Not once, not ever has that happened to me, because people in the mainstream don't care.

Just let go. Stop caring. Microsoft and it's hardware partners will do what they do. We have no control over that.

If your phone works and your cool with it, its time to leave the tech news sites behind

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with what you have posted.
Essentially to most it just doesn't matter.

I still can not understand why all this is life and death.
To me it's simply business.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Ignorance is bliss.

There is not a single tech site on the web that doesn't have something negative to say about Windows Mobile. Every one of them is full of stories about how the platform is dying, the user base is shrinking, apps are being pulled, etc.

But here's the rub....there are millions and millions of windows phone users out there who have no idea about these problems.

They use their phones to send email and messages, take calls, surf the net, play games, watch movies and listen to music.

The majority are using older nokia devices and are blissfully unaware of the underlying state of Microsoft's mobile problems. Their devices work and that's good enough for them.

I deal with a few construction firms that are using windows phones. These are big companies with thousands of employees. They're not put off by the constant u-turns, misinformation, lies and downright radio silence from Microsoft. The phones work and they have cupboards full of them. The devices work just fine.

The point is that your phone works fine. It switches on. You can do stuff with it...more stuff than you can ever have dreamt possible just a few years ago.

The only place you're going to hear negative stuff about your choice of device is on tech news sites.

In 7 years of windows phone use no one has ever stopped me in the street or at a party or in the office and said "oh what are you using? It's crap. Don't you know that Microsoft break promises and your phone is pointless!" Not once, not ever has that happened to me, because people in the mainstream don't care.

Just let go. Stop caring. Microsoft and it's hardware partners will do what they do. We have no control over that.

If your phone works and your cool with it, its time to leave the tech news sites behind

Agree. I have had IPhone users turn their noses up to me at gathers because I use a WP. But, obviously I haven't listened because since I'm still here. I'm using my phone right now listening to a podcast while I'm on my desktop checking out this forum.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You have a great point here.

Aside from the people who mock you (general you) for using a Windows phone, no one really cares, aside from amusement. Anyway, my dad still enjoys his Windows phone (on 8.1 by the way) and to him, it's the best. As long as WhatsApp works, he isn't worried. I was scared that he might feel denied or so after a year but nope, that hasn't happened at all and he has had this phone since July 2015.

He enjoys the small things like the bright colors and being able to change the size of text. He even uses HERE maps occasionally. He prefers the way that emails look on his phone compared to others.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
even though I read it all, I keep the same stance as OP describes here, I just don't care, as long as it works for me

besides, I think they might have some announcements to make this year, just to say something, like Dan suggested, here https://arstechnica.co.uk/apple/2017/04/apple-new-mac-pro-2018/ apple could serve as motivation, they have a similar situation regarding their desktop users

all we really need is a pocketable device with cellular connectivity, at least for me, I'm sure microsoft can and will fulfill that need, as they have been doing all the time regardless of what the media says

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The people that use their phones without worrying about the underlying state of the platform aren't the ones that will be upgrading every time a new phone hits the market.

Every platform loves these people for obvious reasons, but we can't disregard the group that will buy every new phone, just because it's new. Those people mostly follow the tech sites or at least read the article titles (lol).

For our platform to thrive, we need both

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with W10M. It is a great OS platform and MS taking control of the updates keeps it up. The problem is that tech reviews are typically biased and the only issue they have to focus on is the app gap. However, I think a large number of people would find that W10M and the available store apps meets their needs. Granted, I wish a few major companies would develop apps for W10 and W10M along side the android and iOS counterparts, but these are not dealbreakers considering it is just a convenience. In the ended, it is sad to see that these tech sure give W10M negative marks for something that is up to developers, not MS. I think MS could be faster in responding with updated features and they have made some mistakes, but this does not equate to a bad OS.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Okay that doesn't change the worst Facebook & messenger apps on windows 10 store

for you to make that change, send information to facebook and messenger ,report problem, and let them know, let their developers do some work, and not just blog on a site, it's same thing he's saying actually.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
and the other thing about many tech blog/journalist websites are that they believe a lot quite in rumours and put it over as fact to many of their users. like OP said , it just works for many people and people love that.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
for you to make that change, send information to facebook and messenger ,report problem, and let them know, let their developers do some work, and not just blog on a site, it's same thing he's saying actually.

Sorry but this won't do it... a lot of people use FB/Messenger and the feedback has been there. The feedback reached the point where they were forced to come out on say that they can't guarantee stability/performance on devices with less than 2gb of ram.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
It's interesting that this week seemed to bring a frenzy about Windows Phones. As far as I can see, very little has changed. At least, nothing that would explain the sudden hysteria. Whether MS decides to tell us what their plans are or not, it doesn't affect the usefulness of the devices I have now. The same if they quit developing WM10 tomorrow. My phone would still be capable of doing what it does today, and for me that's everything that I currently need.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting that this week seemed to bring a frenzy about Windows Phones. As far as I can see, very little has changed. At least, nothing that would explain the sudden hysteria. Whether MS decides to tell us what their plans are or not, it doesn't affect the usefulness of the devices I have now. The same if they quit developing WM10 tomorrow. My phone would still be capable of doing what it does today, and for me that's everything that I currently need.

Hey, the way I see it, WP is in the news and that's a good thing. When you get forgotten you're in trouble.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
all of this is good, but MS are just kicking us in the nuts with phones. They need to come out at Build and either say mobile on phones is going to be one of our highest priorities in the next couple of years or they need to say they are closing shop and moving on. If they seriously don't start getting their **** together with mobile on phones it will also kill Windows 10. MS either have to get serious with consumers because they are loosing ground extremely fast, they are not even the top OS anymore. Can you see where this is going? MS either come out and say whats going on with the consumer side of their business or just kill the whole thing right now and just become a enterprise company.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
With all due respect, I don't there's only 2 extreme positions going forward. They are in the middle of a slow rebuild. It takes time. I know we're all anxious and want them to release 10 new smartphones because that's what were into, but that's not how it works. There's a reason they say patience is a virtue. Look at the big picture. Mobile will have a place, in time.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
The point I think is "if it suits you, it's for you, keep it".

I know a lot fo people who were using iPhones or Android devices and for any reason switched to Windows Phones and right now, they won't go back to Android.

But I still feel like MS need to fight at least with lower prices, they are not investing in marketing so at least a budget device will caught the attention of the consumers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle