I'm a little stumped with my Microsoft account

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
ok, I created a Microsoft account last year. The email address I used during registration has been compromised with occasional spam, too much spam to simply create filters set to "delete any messages from that particular sender address"; mainly because there is a new spam message every week from a new spam email address.

My solution was simple, I would move to a new email address and eventually delete the old one. I'm almost there, until today...

My Microsoft account was updated to my new email address, months ago. I want to keep this account because I have purchased the Office suit with it (Word, Excel, etc...), so it is tied to this account. I even downloaded the Office suit AFTER changing my email address over (new computer), and had no activation problems.

The part I do not understand, today I purchased a Windows Phone app, and received a billing confirmation email that was delivered to my OLD email address. I signed into my Microsoft Account and I can not find the OLD email address anywhere (because I deleted it).

Going into my Lumia 520's phone > Settings > email+accounts: My NEW email address is listed

What am I doing wrong? Or maybe is Microsoft simply disorganized somehow, because I can't find my OLD address listed on my phone or Microsoft Account. :straight:

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I never created a new Microsoft Account, just changed my email (well, set my default "alias" to my new email).
I did reset my phone not too long ago, but I don't remember if I was on the new or old email address; in my phone's settings menu it shows my new email address under Microsoft Account (doesn't appear you can change it).

I hate this

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
The old address is shown under the alias' in your MS account settings?

Also go to windowsphone.com and sign in there. Under the account settings, what does it say is your primary there?

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
old account is not an alias under MS Account
windowsphone.com shows my new email address

Just finished a chat service @ MS support and I've gotten the runaround.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I never created a new Microsoft Account, just changed my email (well, set my default "alias" to my new email).

So the old email address IS an alias of your current Microsoft account? That said, I'm still not sure why you would buy something on the WP store and get a confirmation on your old email address. Unless there is a delay in how long you can still receive mail on the deleted alias, which I'm not sure of.

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
No no, the only alias I have is my new address. I either deleted my old address, or created a MS Account fresh. I do have an "alternate" email address, but it's not the same old address I used.

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
chat support refereed me to microsoft support, but I would have to re-explain myself again (wouldn't it be nice if they would send the chat session over to someone at microsoft support?).
apparently everyone that has a windows phone had a gamertag created by default... but I don't have a xbox or play games?

I might just delete my MS Account
I do not mean to sound like I'm ranting, just don't like not knowing if things are set correctly. Nowhere at live.com, windowsphone.com, on my account.xbox.com, or on my physical phone is my old email address listed.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720