I'm seriously going to return my Nexus 6p for 950xl am I crazy?

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
For some reason I want the 950xl, I do have a 950, but want a bigger screen. Don't get me wrong the Nexus 6p is a great, but there some things that truly bother me. First no expandable storage this is killing me, I'm micro managing everything a download, then the convenience of wireless charging is gone. You know how nice it is to plop your phone on a wireless charger in your car, it's wonderful. I want live tiles back but on a bigger screen, the constant stream of information and the way it's delivered is awesome. Widgets can't replace that, and oddly I like the 3rd party support on Windows 10 mobile it's very unique seeing so many people make different designs for Apps. Last but not least I believe Microsoft is the only true competitor that can compete with Apple, as in a deep connection through every device linking together. Google can't really do that. Now my question is am I crazy?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, you're not.

Although everyone who doesn't like the 950XL or Windows 10 Mobile will doubtless reply here and say "Yes" and produce a list of why no one in their right minds would ever consider buying one.

Burnbackin

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for the Nexus, but I can say the 950 XL is a damn great device. I first was reluctant to get one because of it's design. I dont regret it one bit. Sure, I hope all the apps I'm missing a rolling in (Sonos, local banks etc) ... But I'm looking into a bright future ahead ...🙂

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm a true WM fan. And I love seeing other people buying or using Windows Phones. But I'm honest : I'd rather see someone with a phone they enjoy than with a phone I'd like them to use.

If you think the 6p doesn't match your interests, there's no point in keeping it. The device you use should make you WANT to use it. Like, everytime. It's not only a tool anymore, it's becoming something we enjoy using it.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Whats with all the logical replies? WOW. Happy New Year I guess. Do what suits YOUR needs. The ones you mentioned were a big factor for me deciding to get the 950XL. That and downsizing to 1 phone, since its dual sim, and only using the iPhone 6 for platform dependent apps.

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
This is so true! I feel like I bought the Nexus 6p to have the Apps and then I realized I had fun supporting App developers on Windows and downloading and even giving feedback. On Android I don't do anything, but use Youtube and it's gets boring quick. I actually feel apart of something carrying the Microsoft brand.

Arunabha Goswami

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Everyone who likes W10M will post no.
Everyone who doesn't like W10M and likes Android instead will post yes.

I wonder what's the point of this post.

Also, why did you buy the 6P in the first place? All the shortcomings you mentioned (lack of expandable storage / wireless charging / live tiles), you must have known going in.

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Actually I bought the nexus 6p simply because of the hype and build quality. Thinking it would be better since Microsoft does build apps for every platform. Instead I was wrong I basically baby the phone afraid to scratch it because I hate cases. Then seeing my wireless charger just sit and I can't use it. Everything just not the same. The point of the thread was because I wonder maybe I'm just a windows fan boy and have clouded judgement and would like to hear others opinion.

mzdr0

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
The 950XL is great, the OS is just okay.

I'd keep the Nexus and run with the XL for a few weeks if you can. That's what I've been doing (not sure for how much longer).

Brief background: I used Windows Phone 7 on an HTC and Windows Phone 8 on a Lumia. I always liked Windows Phone (i.e. the look and feel of the OS), but the app gap was too severe and the hardware too limited. When they announced Windows 10 Mobile, the new 950s and universal apps, I got excited again.

If I'm brutally honest, I'm disappointed. The situation with W10M is exactly like WP7/8 -- beautiful UI with lots of potential, but an unfinished OS with missing apps.

(All these years later and Phonos is still the only half decent Sonos app!)

In the few short weeks I've had the phone, there have been several occasions where I was simply unable to do something on my W10M phone that would have been trivial and routine on my Android phone. Sometimes due to missing apps (specific banking, email or other apps) or because apps are buggy / feature incomplete / have not been updated for W10M.

Sometimes really simple tasks can be difficult. Yesterday, for example, I was trying to copy payment details from one web page to another. (Ordinarily I'd copy them to a banking app, but I can forgive the missing banking app for now.) Inexplicably I was unable to copy the details -- the only option was "Select All", being all the text on the page. I checked on my Android phone and I had no problem selecting the details, so I have to blame MS and their Edge browser. "Fine", I thought, "I'll memorise the details and enter them manually". Except switching back and forth between web pages (to read and memorise and then enter the text) forced each page to refresh, losing any details I had previously entered! I actually had to write them down (I know, first world problems, but little things like this make W10M painful to use at times).

It's fair to say that most apps in the store need to be updated for W10M. It would be really helpful to see when an app was last updated, but this information doesn't appear anywhere in the store. "New and rising" is handy, but where is sort by date of publication? I did find a podcast app that seems to have been updated for W10M (called "Cast") and it works very well, which is a good sign. I have to imagine the app situation will improve, but equally I have been here before and it didn't end well.

Like I said, like the XL and prefer the look/feel of Windows to Android, but not sure how much longer I'll hold out. I'm not sure I can forgo the apps/functionality I enjoy on Android.

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for a clearest answers. Maybe that's what drives me back the look and feel of Microsoft os. I shall hold off and seeing as I can't find a 950xl anywhere with the proper price I have no choice but to wait. Thank you!

Francisco_dAn

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Whats with all the logical replies? WOW. Happy New Year I guess. Do what suits YOUR needs. The ones you mentioned were a big factor for me deciding to get the 950XL. That and downsizing to 1 phone, since its dual sim, and only using the iPhone 6 for platform dependent apps.
That's because the question was about functionality instead of apps. If all someone cares about is facebook and snapchat, Windows probably isn't the right platform. However, if you care about having your device actually work for you, it's hard to ignore what Microsoft is attempting to do.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I think it is whatever OS you first started using, you know in time you just get used to it. I tried Android for 2 months with an HTC M8. Well built phone, but I really missed the function of windows live tiles on my L925.
Windows in my opinion is simply the more intuitive between android and windows and much more enjoyable to use.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I love my 950, I still love my 930, I even have a soft spot for my 1320!

I don't do apps, I don't have hissy fits if a certain 'game' or 'app' isn't available. I use my devices as phones. And for that, win 10 wins hands down. As a mobile communications device, my phones are streets ahead of any fashion item apple or Samsung could produce. Continuum is a great tool, and as OP states, integration and common ecosystem is something that other OS's have issues with.

If you can't live without apps, then why come here in the first place. Seen it in the tread, 'been here since WP7'. So if apps are an issues, why still here??

I like the 6p, and the fact it runs a 'vanilla' version of droid, but it does feel fragile and easily scratched. I have android devices at home for dev purposes, yet, when I want to get something done, the WP's are the first to be picked up and used! Even my 1320 is nicer to use than some Samsung 'budget' devices that came with 4.2.2, and NEVER got updated (officially anyway ;) )

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Just follow your heart. Now that you have tried out the 6P, go out to a store and try out the 950XL. See how it feels in your hand and then decide. That's the best way to decide.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
No you are not crazy. 950xl is an amazing device. and based on your needs, i think w10m will suit you better than android.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for a clearest answers. Maybe that's what drives me back the look and feel of Microsoft os. I shall hold off and seeing as I can't find a 950xl anywhere with the proper price I have no choice but to wait. Thank you!

IMO, you can't beat the "look and feel" of WM. That's why I can't see myself going back to Android or iOS.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
WP 8.1 was the last great UI, everything else is heading in the same direction, fed up with all of them, just get a pencil and paper and be done with it all...Happy Bloomin new year

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel