Increased battery drain after installing Weather Flow and USA Today?

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Last night I installed these apps and fully charged my Lumia 920 before going to sleep. I wake up this morning (had set couple of alarms), hit the gym, come back, pick up my phone and the battery is at 42%! I was never impressed with my phone's battery life but I've never seen it drain so quickly before. The only other apps I permit running in the background are Amazing Weather HD and WP Shortcut Tiles and they've been installed quite some time ago. Anybody else experience a sharp increase in battery drain after installing any or both of these apps?

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I also installed USA Today and Weather Flow last night. I did the trial of Weather Flow and I didn't really like it so it was uninstalled rather quickly. I used USA Today a few times last night and this morning and my battery doesn't seem to be effected, at least not like how you are describing.

Have you tried doing a soft reset of your phone to see if that helps? Maybe a process is stuck running in the background. If you do a soft reset (holding the lock and down volume buttons until the phone vibrates and restarts) and that still doesn't help then maybe it's Weather Flow because USA Today seems to be working fine for me.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the shortcuts installed and haven't noticed amy decrease in battery life. I use weather channel and let it run in the background without ill effect. My battery has drained 2 or 3 times in the last month, but I haven't been able to pin point it to anything specific. For the most part, battery life on this phone has been excellent; much better than on my iPhone 4 where you could watch the meter drop a point or two every 2 minutes while using apps (especially Facebook, maps and tapatalk). My phone just froze and went to the lockscreen for the first time while typing this lol
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't have USA today but only installed Weather Flow this morning (trial).

My battery lasted 9 hours instead of regular 14-15 hours.

I don't want Weather Flow to be the reason though :(
I was thinking of buying it in a day or two!

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I had uninstalled both apps, but after reading the replies here, decided to reinstall them to see if I can see the drain happen again.

pjeung

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
i like usa today a lot.. doubles as news and weather in one... i tried weather flow for the lock screen weather info, but didn't like the fact that it had to change my lockscreen wallpaper to do so i uninstalled.. i've had usa today for a while, and along with facebook and weave, are my 3 only background running apps.. battery life is a good 12-15 hours moderate to heavy use

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I also used Weather Flow for a day, but don't like the lockscreen images. I am still endlessly installing and reinstalling weather apps because I can't settle on one.

abhibh

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the weather in your area changes frequently :p

Jokes apart, if 1 app is draining your batter its not necessarily that it will do the same for others. Maybe you should wait 1-2 days before un-installing the app (if you like the app).

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
i like usa today a lot.. doubles as news and weather in one... i tried weather flow for the lock screen weather info, but didn't like the fact that it had to change my lockscreen wallpaper to do so i uninstalled.. i've had usa today for a while, and along with facebook and weave, are my 3 only background running apps.. battery life is a good 12-15 hours moderate to heavy use
you dont have to change your lockscreen wallpaper to let weather flow display weather on the lockscreen. Weather Flow allows you to change that in settings so you can have a. your bing wallpaper or b. a custom wallpaper on your lockscreen.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i installed weather flow yesterday and forgot to put my phone on the charger over night. went to bed at 82% battery, woke up at 8am with the battery down to 74% in 7 hours. havent charged it yet still and it's 1:05pm with 50% battery life with me using it today.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the weather in your area changes frequently :p

Jokes apart, if 1 app is draining your batter its not necessarily that it will do the same for others. Maybe you should wait 1-2 days before un-installing the app (if you like the app).
"its not necessary that it will do the same for others" implies that it may happen to others, hence the post.

pjeung

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
you dont have to change your lockscreen wallpaper to let weather flow display weather on the lockscreen. Weather Flow allows you to change that in settings so you can have a. your bing wallpaper or b. a custom wallpaper on your lockscreen.

is that only in the full version? the trial version's settings are pretty bare, and you can only set weatherflow as your lockscreen with updates. It actually asks you upon installation via pop up. After that you can't really make any adjustments, unless i'm missing something here

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
is that only in the full version? the trial version's settings are pretty bare, and you can only set weatherflow as your lockscreen with updates. It actually asks you upon installation via pop up. After that you can't really make any adjustments, unless i'm missing something here
no, its an option even in the trial version. you can go to the app's settings and scroll right till you reach the "lockscreen" page.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have my own background with the weather info overlayed. I went ahead and purchased WF today. No problems so far.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Weather Flow and USA Today since I bought the 920 with live tiles pinned and never had any noticeable impact on battery. Installed the new versions this morning and battery does not seem any different to me.

Try the wide tile on Weather Flow which gives you the week forecast. I am not willing to part with Bing images on my lockscreen so that's what I do.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I bought my 920 on Friday. installed weather flow Friday night. Saturday battery lasted half a day. Sunday I stopped tap-to-send NFC, Nokia Drive in Background Tasks and uninstalled weather flow. Battery on Sunday and Monday was awesome. Monday night I turned weather flow back on and at first it seemed ok but this morning phone is already on 79% after only 3 hours from full charge. Has anyone tried just turning off Location Services in WeatherFlow settings to see if that is it? I noticed quite a few times this morning the location icon on the status bar appear and wonder if WeatherFlow is checking location more often than every hour as I've chosen in the settings. I've turned off Location Services now so will be interested to see battery improves throughout the day. If it doesn't may need to uninstall WeatherFlow and will contact developers to see if they know anything.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok after stopping location services in WeatherFlow battery lost from 77% to 57% in 5 hours plus have done some heavy use. so seems like an improvement to me. Wll keep monitoring.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok after stopping location services in WeatherFlow battery lost from 77% to 57% in 5 hours plus have done some heavy use. so seems like an improvement to me. Wll keep monitoring.
I will give that a try. I had some increased battery use after i installed wf, but didn't connect the two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny