Initial thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: 8.1 reminds me of why I hate Android....

The only thing I dont like about it is instead of putting text from one person all together you get a notification for each one. No biggie but if your a big texter you will wind up with a huge list to scroll through

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
No regrets updating. At some point, we all have to get used to the changes and I'm all for getting that out of the way. Store works fine for me; here Drive+ & here Maps all good; Facebook connected with phone (definitely a little strange getting used to People & Me tiles now.)

All in all, I love the update. I'm sure with some time, updated apps and a little experience with the changes, I'll love it even more.

Last edited:

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: should have waited ......

Doesn't seem to be an option yet....will be part of the app eventually. Surprised that it doesn't have it since Windows created the app and updated it for 8.1.
It's available. You have to update the app and set it up to connect with your phone.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Dont like that Cortana has to have location to work. I just want to voice input quick reminders............

Also, I noticed if I hold the windows key down nothing happens anymore, no voice dialer

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Please help!!! I have a 920. At 6:30 this morn I started the update. It was stuck on the gears for 2 hours without moving so I did a soft reset. I waited another 2 hours with no changes and tried to do a hard reset. Still stuck on gears with no movement. Any ideas??

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Install was flawless on both my 920 and 1020. Love Cortana. Love Data Sense. Love new calendar. Hate the notification center (I won't be using THAT). Hate the transparent tiles (I won't be using THAT either). Hate that the Me tile is now gutted and useless, forcing me to send the SAME POST THREE TIMES. Hate the fact that there are now TWO Facebook links in the "post an update" in the Me tile.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: First impressions with WP 8.1

Pin it to start (it's in the apps list). But, you don't really need it there because when you click the Search button you get Cortana.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
If your phone is very full, it could well take that much time because it has to rearrange things just to get the new update. If you are near capacity I would HIGHLY suggest deleting photos & music (back them up first, obviously, if you don't already sync to the cloud). This will speed things up considerably.

The Skizzle

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

You know what? You can SET IT the way you want. Don't want mails to appear in it? They don't. Don't want your calendar to appear there? It doesn't.

Agreed. Notification options seem very similar to the iPhone. Me likey.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

I'd actually like to turn OFF the notification center completely. It's a pain in the rear end.

The Skizzle

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

If you don't like Notification Center, go to Settings>notifications+actions>Click on the app>Change "Show in action center" to off.

Sure, I suppose if you're one of the few that don't like it, a global setting would be nice. I suppose you should start your GDR1/Windows Phone 8.2/Windows Phone 9 suggestion list now.

sudhisoma

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
A bit out of topic! But whatsapp is only working on wifi and not mobile data for me since the WP8.1 update! I have to manually open the app to check when im on mobile data! Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Clinton_O

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I am very disappointed in the new music app. I didnt like xbox music on the pc and I didnt want it on here. I wish it worked with Parallax. Besides that everything else is cool, I like the new additions and I even got Data Sense on ATT finally.
Now im just waiting on the new lock screen app, in the mean time ill be spending more time with the SDK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124