Inside the Nokia Power Keyboard SU-42

oliverr871

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
So I started to have issues with my power keyboard a whole year later. For some reason the tab, capslock, shift key, number zero and P keys just stopped working. After multiple attempts to bang at the key didn't help I thought the keyboard was done. However, before giving up on the keyboard I decided to open it up.

Removing the back cover was fairly easy. I removed the clips first from the USB port side (there are 4 tabs), lift gently, and then lift one of the left or right sides gently (not the bottom where the trackpad is) and then you can slide the back cover off. Installation just push gently on all the sides until all clips are snapped back into place.

Imagine to my surprise when I saw the one side of the flex cable connector open! Not sure how that happened and that tape didn't seem to be doing its job. So I removed the tape, closed the connector, and put better tape. Keyboard works again! DSC_0569.jpg
DSC_0572.JPG
DSC_0575.jpg

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
nice! im glad you got it working and didnt dump it! I still cant get one for cheap. They still go for $120+ on ebay and they MSRP for $149.99

oliverr871

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Yea, I was looking for them on eBay and they are pricey. I was ready to buy a new one since the one I got was part of the free promotion they had when the Lumia 2520 was launched.

The red one might be fun to have though since mine is black!

Jon Hemphill

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been wondering how hard it would be to come up with an attachment of some sort that is just a battery and maybe a USB port or two. I'm using a Bluetooth keyboard so I don't need that.

oliverr871

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure it's possible if you grabbed one of these keyboards and modified it just to get the component pieces needed for such a project.

My thing is that with all that space, they could have totally put in like a 4000mah battery (like two of those from the Lumia 920) with all that room in there. With all the constant discharge/charge the small battery is being put through, it's certainly going to have its capacity lifespan cut.

oliverr871

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I bought it from cex so I'll wait to see what they say before I void my warranty

I understand. Mine was a free keyboard under their promotion when the 2520 was launched. I didn't care too much about the warranty because of how rare these keyboards are, it would take a while to get a replacement and I was hearing warranty nightmare stories about it taking too long.

LZSchneider

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to give this a try and see what I find, as my keyboard has been suffering the same issues. Oliver, what sort of tape did you use to replace the sticky, yellow candy wrapper plastic found inside the keyboard?

derrickg02

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
A big thumbs up to this solution - you are the man!

When my place of business gave me the option to grab up a tablet that was not an iPad for work (Information Services) I leapt at the opportunity to get my hands on the Nokia 2520. It soon became apparent that I was going to use it for a lot of Word/Excel/Office work so I had them order me the powered keyboard.

About a week ago I noticed that both shift keys and the 'p' key did not work while all others did. Followed your instructions here and it worked like a charm; however, I will say that I did not notice that my cable was loose/the connector was open, but I simply opened the connectors by sliding them towards me, lightly pulled back on the cable to disconnect it, and then reconnected the cable and pushed back in the connectors.

Now everything works!

For anyone not exactly sure what is meant by the flex cable connectors, I added an arrow to the screenshot to kind of point out what you are looking to slide toward you before you pull out the cable and then slide back in to lock the cable back in place. Hope it helps someone.

DSC_0572(arrow).jpg

LZSchneider

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I can't thank you guys enough for this thread. I followed what Derrick described above and everything is back to normal on my keyboard. Just... wow. Thanks so much guys. <3

LZSchneider

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
With the number of faulty power keyboards out there, this thread should be a sticky so that owners have a good shot at fixing their keyboards before selling them.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am having one heck of a time getting the case open... could some one elaborate. I lifted up on the left and right sides but I am afraid to break it

LZSchneider

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Start on the side with the USB ports. I used a small flat head screw driver as leverage to pop the cover off. So yeah, start near the USB ports and move your way around the right until you reach the end nearest the touchpad. Then, go back and pop the cover off of the left side. During this process, keep in mind you will hear some gnarly popping and be extra careful to not pry at the metal bits inside of the cover as they are VERY close to where you will need to work your screwdriver to open the case.

The first two times I've tried this, I simply used my fingers and I had some painful blisters afterward. So, a flathead screwdriver isn't required, but it may help. Again, just be extra careful to not stick the flathead in too far to where it damages the metal bits and circuitry.

daelumia

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I only managed to break off one of the grey clips under the left shift key trying this. I disconnected and reconnected the wider cable, but no luck. In my case the entire keyboard and mouse no longer work. I may have a different issue...

Glad this is working for some folks, though.

StarmanUK

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Same problem myself which I was able to fix following the OP advise I've now secured the ribbon cable connector utilizing some electrical tape. I was considering attempting to get a refund from John Lewis under SoG act thankfully I don't need to do that now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb