Installing Cortana (Australia) has turned my phone into a brick, what do I do?

DIY Family

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Installing Cortana (Australia) has turned my phone into a brick

My Lumia 530 was working fine. I could connect to the internet and read my emai. I have only ever installed 2 apps from the store on it but they both worked. Nokia mix worked maps worked etc. Everything worked until I installed the most recent update from Microsoft. It came with Cortana - and I had never installed that before but said okay. And now NOTHING works on my phone in the way of apps. I can make and receive calls, the alarm works and I can take photos. That's it! I can't access the internet or read email. Cortana(Australia) has turned my phone into a brick.

The time and date are accurate, the phone is not in flight mode, the wifi says it is on. I've tried retyping the wifi password but it made no difference. The tiles are all there on the home screen, but when I touch one e.g. ie the screen goes black for about 1/2 a sec and then the tile home screen just comes back on. I'm pretty disappointed that this "latest" update from Microsoft has turned the first smartphone I've ever owned into a dumb-phone.

I may not be utilizing my smart phone for Facebook and games like other smart-phone users do, but that doesn't mean I don't want the few apps I do use to work! I've spent hours on the internet searching for a solution but there clearly isn't one, short of a factory reset. Everyone else's mobile phones are connecting without trouble to our home computer modem via wifi so it's unlikely to be our modem. Besides - my phone was connecting fine before I installed the latest update too. My son's Lumia 630 is still working fine and connecting to our computer - but he hasn't got Cortana on his phone because I have not got around to installing the latest software update on his phone.

I've read that there's no way of getting rid of provided apps like Cortana - but since she's wrecked my phone and she's not speaking to me anyway, is there anything I can do??

Roy Khoh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Installing Cortana (Australia) has turned my phone into a brick

If you cannot click your way through to "settings --> about" to perform a hard reset, then try the "Windows Device Recovery Tool" from Microsoft.

DIY Family

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

Hi Roy, Thanks for the suggestion. However I've already tried the Windows device recovery tool. It came up with a message "does not support this model".

Captains

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

What update? All windows phones in Australia are running 8.1 & have Cortana. Check your microsoft account details. Facebook account etc. Also check your store for updates. If it goes back to home screen after opening an app then perhaps the app hasn't reinstalled for some reason.
I'm sure it's something simple. Hope I can help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers